Saints owner harassed in Baton Rouge

pollock

He might be trying to deflect attention from his confrontation with the camera, but it sounds typical of the BR crowd.

Saints owner worried about safety

November 3, 2005

NEW ORLEANS (AP) -- Personal safety concerns might keep team owner Tom Benson from returning to Baton Rouge for New Orleans Saints games.

He sent an e-mail Sunday night to NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue, saying he definitely would not go back to Tiger Stadium. Copies of the e-mail were obtained by The Times-Picayune and WWL-TV in New Orleans.

Benson was taunted by fans and had an altercation with a TV camera crew after the hurricane-displaced Saints' loss Sunday to the Miami Dolphins. The anger toward Benson stems from talks he apparently had about relocating the team to San Antonio, where the Saints practice and play some of their home games.

In the e-mail, Benson called security at LSU's stadium ``inadequate to nonexistent,'' and claimed he and his family ``could have all been severely injured or killed.''

``I will not return to Baton Rouge for any reason, including any games scheduled for the end of this season or a contemplated next season,'' Benson said in the e-mail. ``No person, much less the owner of NFL team, should have either he, his family or his friends subjected to this form of danger, intimidation and abuse.''

But in a subsequent statement to The Times-Picayune, Saints spokesman Greg Bensel said Benson sent the e-mail out of frustration and has not decided whether he will attend this weekend's game against the Chicago Bears in Baton Rouge.

``It was an emotional and distressing situation and very unfortunate for him and his family,'' Bensel said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Tuesday he is not aware of any security concerns of the Saints in Baton Rouge and said league officials ``are not going to discuss communication between owners and our office.''

As he and his party were leaving, Benson lunged at a WWL-TV camera, knocking it down and causing a microphone to fall off. Then, he had a shouting match with a nearby fan.

WWL-TV said the cameraman was about seven to 10 feet from Benson and was not in the way of the owner and his family. The station said the Saints did not respond to its request for comment.

The Saints are under contract to play at the Louisiana Superdome through 2010, but certain provisions allow them to opt out before Nov. 29. The facility was damaged in August by Hurricane Katrina.

On Sunday, Tagliabue met with Benson, Gov. Kathleen Blanco and other officials. Tagliabue wants to keep the team in New Orleans.

The NFL said it plans no action against Benson.

Benson was taunted by fans and had an altercation with a TV camera crew after the hurricane-displaced Saints' loss Sunday to the Miami Dolphins. The anger toward Benson stems from talks he apparently had about relocating the team to San Antonio, where the Saints practice and play some of their home games.

WOW! I guess he's good buddies with a certain rangers pitcher that will go un-named. rolleyes.gif

About the only thing the head of FEMA got right was when during his hearings he said his only mistake was "not realizing how dysfunctional the state of Louisiana was".  I love bringing that up to my Ruston born wife every chance I get.  biggrin.gif

Here's a good article about the FEMA guy you mention.

Brownie

This guy was appointed by that ex Governor/Mensa candidate of yours.

The people of Louisiana are slow.

Im politically incorrect here, I know, god forbid someone have an opinion other that whats politically correct.

At least the majority of us Louisianians are American and speak English. Won't be long before Mexico can annex you guys back without firing a shot...at the ballot box. How's that for being politically incorrect?

I woulnt exactly say that the language spoken by that dude in The Waterboy was English.

Hell, at least our mayors and governor don't completely forget about the residents until it is too late, then try to blame others instead of getting off their asses and doing something useful.

I woulnt exactly say that the language spoken by that dude in The Waterboy was English. 

Hell, at least our mayors and governor don't completely forget about the residents until it is too late, then try to blame others instead of getting off their asses and doing something useful.

Laura Miller and Rick Perry??? Rudy do you REALLY want to hold those two up as good examples of texas political leadership???? laugh.gif

Edited by Baby Arm!

Laura Miller and Rick Perry???  Rudy do you REALLY want to hold those two up as good examples of texas political leadership???? laugh.gif

There's a reason why I live in Fort Worth ... anything is better then that circus to the east.

First, the generalization that people from Louisiana are slow is short sighted and ignorant - plain and simple. It's about as ignorant as those from other states saying Texans all rednecks who wear cowboy hats and ride horses.

Second, per the Times Picayune:

Benson was taunted by fans as he walked out of the stadium, said Bensel, the Saints spokesman who accompanied the owner after the game.

In the incident with WWL employees, Benson slapped with his right hand at the camera being operated by Mike Bland and knocked the microphone off its mooring. Benson also had a verbal exchange with a fan, Bland and WWL-TV reporter Lee Zurick, Zurick said.

Vincent said LSU officials asked the Saints during the week before the game if Benson needed extra security and were told it wouldn't be necessary.

"We were told he didn't need any security detail, he had his own," Vincent said.

Four bodyguards accompanied Benson on Sunday, including longtime guards Fred Williams, a deputy chief with the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office, and Jerry Ursin, a former New Orleans Police Department officer.

He is posturing for sympathy because he has been vilified for his actions both before and after Katrina. Fans shout and heckle at games all the time but that doesn't mean they intend to kill. I especially love how he has 4 body guards and he attacks a camera man, yet he fears for his life. What a joke.

At least the majority of us Louisianians are American and speak English.  Won't be long before Mexico can annex you guys back without firing a shot...at the ballot box. How's that for being politically incorrect?

pfft. You need to watch a little more CNN, that's happening all over the south/southwest.

There's a reason why I live in Fort Worth ... anything is better then that circus to the east.

laugh.gif

Seriously, what is happening in the city limits and at the City Hall of Dallas is very sad and leadership is the reason why. Hope NT doesn't use Dallas as a model when it comes to football (a la shutting out the Cowboys interest with building a new football stadium at Fair Park which was about as much a "win-win" scenario as Laura Miller could have ever expected).

In fact, is Laura Miller originally from New Jersey because she has all the traits? Thank God for New York or all we would have up there would probably be, uh, " 'Joisey. " (and their most unique vociferous attitudes). sad.gif

FWIW, Tom Benson should probably take refuge in Texas for now, but he should still keep his team in New Orleans. There are just some things in life you do that has whatsoever nothing to do with money. Wish more could realize that. Just my, uh, one cent. tongue.gif

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

maybe it has something to do with Baton Rouge??

How many times are we going to hear stories like this and keep chalking it up to a "random fan" or "a few bad apples" ??????

---Sure are alot of those "random" fans...... in fact there seems to be more of them than decent ones..... Maybe that means something.

Here's a good article about the FEMA guy you mention.

Brownie

This guy was appointed by that ex Governor/Mensa candidate of yours.

Poor comedy. A Louisiana native criticizing another state's politics. I live in Houston now. Our mayor and political leaders organized and delivered the largest evacuation ever without bickering, blaming others, etc.... when Rita was knocking on our door. On top of that, many of the evacuees were Louisiana natives sent here after Katrina.

Actually our school got 6 transfers because of the hurricane, and you can just tell the education system over there is horrendous.

One quick question:have you ever been your own country?

Seriously though, your state's better than Massachusetts & those northerner micheal moore states, so enjoy that. tongue.gif

Edited by ntmeangreen11

Actually our school got 6 transfers because of the hurricane, and you can just tell the education system over there is horrendous.

One quick question:have you ever been your own country?

Seriously though, your state's better than Massachusetts & those northerner micheal moore states, so enjoy that. tongue.gif

I believe Texas is the only state that was a country before joining the union. The Texas flag can fly at the same level the US flag. biggrin.gif

Edited by UNTFan23

I believe Texas is the only state that was a country before joining the union.  The Texas flag can fly at the same level the US flag. biggrin.gif

You've forgotten the kingdom of Hawai'i.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Hawaii

Also any flag may be flown at the same level as the US flag.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

You've forgotten the kingdom of Hawai'i.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_Hawaii

Also any flag may be flown at the same level as the US flag.

http://www.snopes.com/history/american/texasflag.asp

Not so with Hawaii- Hawaii was annexed as a US territory in 1898. It remained a US territory for anohter 61 years until it was admitted as a state in 1959.

Texas on the other hand was annexed by treaty between two soverign nations. The US and Republic of Texas. Part of the annexation treat was Texas reserved the right to divide itself into 5 seperate states if it ever wanted and also Texas would retain ownership of its public lands rather than ceding them to the federal government which was done with all other territories/states. (In order to settle it's national debt Texas did sell a significant part of its public land to the US government. That land is what is today parts of New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming.)

Not so with Hawaii-  Hawaii was annexed as a US territory in 1898.  It remained a US territory for anohter 61 years until it was admitted as a state in 1959.

Texas on the other hand was annexed by treaty between two soverign nations.  The US and Republic of Texas.  Part of the annexation treat was Texas reserved the right to divide itself into 5 seperate states if it ever wanted and also Texas would retain ownership of its public lands rather than ceding them to the federal government which was done with all other territories/states.  (In order to settle it's national debt Texas did sell a significant part of its public land to the US government.  That land is what is today parts of New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado and Wyoming.)

In 1893, American businessmen seeking to protect their industrial profits in the exportation of goods like sugar to the United States of America organized the overthrow of the Kingdom of Hawai‘i. American troops aboard the USS Boston landed in Honolulu to help Sanford B. Dole and Lorrin A. Thurston's Committee of Safety, a 13 member council of businessmen plotting to depose Queen Lili‘uokalani. At the gunpoint of American soldiers, Queen Lili‘uokalani was removed from ‘Iolani Palace under arrest, tried by the American Judge Advocate General's Corps and then imprisoned in her own home.

Dole and his committee declared itself the provisional government and in 1894 proclaimed the creation of the Republic of Hawai‘i. Dole became its president. As a republic, it was the intention of the provisional government to campaign for annexation with the United States of America. With annexation, their goods and services exported to the mainland would not be subject to American tariffs. The provisional government succeeded when in 1898, Congress approved a joint resolution of annexation creating the U.S. Territory of Hawai‘i. This followed the precendent of Texas which was also annexed by a joint resolution of Congress. Dole was appointed its first governor.

Not a great deal of difference there. Texas taken by force by American biz interests then cutting a deal to join in vs. Hawaii being taken by force by American biz interests and then cutting a deal to join.

Not a great deal of difference there. Texas taken by force by American biz interests then cutting a deal to join in vs. Hawaii being taken by force by American biz interests and then cutting a deal to join.

Only problem with that is that Hawaii was seized by coup by biz interents only to immediately become a US territory.

Texas on the other hand was 'siezed' by biz interest in a revolution and operated as an independent nation for a decade. Texas was recognized by and diplomatic relations France and Great Brittan. But back to the original point- Texas was the only state that joined the union as an independent country, all other states including Hawaii joined the union as US territories.