Does the team deserve our support?

ADLER

At the conclusion of this past Tuesday's game, the whole football team, led by Coach Dickey, turned their backs on their supporters and walked off the field and up the tunnel while the Brigade was playing the Alma Mater.

There was once again absolutely no recognition of all the fans that have come out and faithfully supported the team.

Sure, you can say that the coach shows absolute disregard for the supporters of this program, but it's painfully obvious that the players do as well as they turn their backs on their friends and families.

At the conclusion of this past Tuesday's game, the whole football team, led by Coach Dickey, turned their backs on their supporters and walked off the field and up the tunnel while the Brigade was playing the Alma Mater.

There was once again absolutely no recognition of all the fans that have come out and faithfully supported the team.

Sure, you can say that the coach shows absolute disregard for the supporters of this program, but it's painfully obvious that the players do as well as they turn their backs on their friends and families.

And I thought nobody else noticed this ! However, I will NOT turn my back on the MEAN GREEN !!!

Guest JohnDenver

I noticed, but I thought it was because we have a new field and the fans are no longer to come down. They probably haven't figured out what to do yet ... they used to stand around and talk with us/family/friends/fans. Now they would just hang out. They can do what other schools do, but, it seems most people don't like when we copy things wink.gif

The players not staying out there is a reflection of the coach. The coach should teach that you lose with respect and win with respect. I will always support the players. They are kids and will do whatever the coach lets them do. They where upset. Showing the fans respect and staying out to sing the alma mater is a coaching issue. I did not realize they had done that. mad.gif

And I thought nobody else noticed this !  However, I will NOT turn my back on the MEAN GREEN !!!

If you think that I am suggesting that the fans should change then you are mistaken. I am clearly stating that loyalty has to go both ways, and yet the entire team continues to turn their backs on their most ardent supporters.

If you think that I am suggesting that the fans should change then you are mistaken. I am clearly stating that loyalty has to go both ways, and yet the entire team continues to turn their backs on their most ardent supporters.

Dickey is responsible for this happening. Maybe they were embarrassed at yet another poor showing and another loss, but you do not turn your backs on the fans. Dickey has just slipped another notch in my book for allowing this to happen. mad.gif

i didn't notice this, but hearing about it really burns me up! classless coaching!

or maybe you could buy into the theory that they forgot to stay for the alma mater. just like they forgot that they were supposed to sign autographs for the katrina releif stuff. DD is showing his kids how to really make fans feel like fools for supporting them.

Regarding the walking out while the alma mater is being played..that is just plain bad manners and a lack of respect for the institution that is paying for your education/ salary.

However, why the band would play the alma mater after the game is beyond me. I know many schools do this, but it makes little sense. People are ready to go after the game and are heading out of the stadium.

Play the alma mater before the national anthem at pregame. Then, the fans only have to stand once and are already in 'singing voice'.

IThey probably haven't figured out what to do yet ...

It's very simple. Win or Lose, and With or Without your coach. You stay out on the field in front of the band. You raise your right hand, either displaying the school hand sign or holding your helmet aloft.

You don't make a single move towards the locker room until the last note has been completed.

Your friends, family, and fans deserve better.

The team also left the field before the alma mater during the Tulsa game. This really made me mad, but I've noticed this at every home loss, so I figured everybody accepted it. Also, some players do tend to leave the field before the alma mater even when we win.

I agree that it's a classless thing to do and that it shows no respect for your university. But when your leaders don't respect the school....

I'll say yes- I'll also say that they follow the Coach's lead.

If Dickey says the fans are terrible or non-existent, the players will treat us that way. I mean, we have our gripes about Dickey's program, but we're always there. I don't know what he could say about a school that supplied 17,000+ fans for a Tuesday game and averages about that amount for Saturday games. This after a blowout loss at home weeks before to a team many fans figured we could beat.

Fans like to see wins. Regardless of the gameday activities, wins bring fans and vice-versa. A respectable loss won't discourage people, but a major blowout that didn't even look competitive will most certainly cost fanbase. I know that includes a lot of casual fans, but I'm sure a lot of us started off that way.

Edited by meangreendork

The players not staying out there is a reflection of the coach.  The coach should teach that you lose with respect and win with respect.    I will always support the players.  They are kids and will do whatever the coach lets them do.  They where upset.    Showing the fans respect and staying out to sing the alma mater is a coaching issue.  I did not realize they had done that.    mad.gif

The exact problems I have with DD illustrated. I will not discredit the conference winning streak, what the wins have done for program recognition, etc... This is beyond me and pisses me off.

My problems:

Lack of discipline: Ex. Player gets a unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and his patted on the butt or on top of the head.

Not Gaining Fan Support: Badmouthing the fans in the media, example above of walking off the field, leaving the field in fall practice when it was marketed as a meet the team, etc...

DD's "job security by the BOR" as lead to an appearance of "I don't care."

You should ALWAYS support your team regardless of what happens on the field....Sometimes it is hard to watch, but you still support.

The team should ALWAYS appreciate it's fans regardless of what happens on the field....Sometimes it is mildly inconvenient, but you still show gratitude.

I wasn't suggesting that at all. I was just stating that I will not turn my back on them like they did us ( the Mean Green fans). I hope this action is not more fuel for the "sky is falling" fire that will cause borderline line fans to bail on this team. blink.gif

With all due respect, you are incorrect.

The TEAM did leave, that is true. However, Dickey DID stand at the sideline facing the band at about the 20, made the talon sign and stood at attention during the alma matter. He even had is play chart stuffed in his pants per the norm.

...In fact a few of us were laughing, as he didn't know when and how to move his arm with the crowd. It was classic.

I saw it as a bit of class on Dickey's part. The team should have stayed too, and that should be Dickey's policy.

...but DON'T claim Dickey didn't respect the Alma Matter, as it is simply a false claim.

Now, should we support the team? Absolutely, without question, 100%. Does this mean we can't be upset and critical of the team's performance and that of the coaches and staff? Of course not. But you either are a FAN or you aren't. If you are you support the team, even when the going gets rough.

With all due respect, you are incorrect. 

The TEAM did leave, that is true.  However, Dickey DID stand at the sideline facing the band at about the 20, made the talon sign and stood at attention during the alma matter.  He even had is play chart stuffed in his pants per the norm.

...In fact a few of us were laughing, as he didn't know when and how to move his arm with the crowd.  It was classic.

I saw it as a bit of class on Dickey's part.  The team should have stayed too, and that should be Dickey's policy. 

...but DON'T claim Dickey didn't respect the Alma Matter, as it is simply a false claim.

Now, should we support the team?  Absolutely, without question, 100%.  Does this mean we can't be upset and critical of the team's performance and that of the coaches and staff?  Of course not.  But you either are a FAN or you aren't.  If you are you support the team, even when the going gets rough.

I'm glad to hear that DD stood on the sidelines and showed respect during the alma mater. That does matter. But why didn't the team show the same respect? The answer is one of two reasons:

1. DD doesn't make the team stay for the alma mater. In my opinion, this is not acceptable. If this is the case, DD should be instilling pride in the players for their university and for all it has done for them.

2. DD told the players to stay and they dont' respect him enough to listen. This option worries me most. IF this is the case, we have a serious problem on our hands and it's not something easy to fix. If the players don't respect DD then they're not going to perform on the field.

Regardless of which reason the players didn't stand for the alma mater, it's a problem and something needs to change. Maybe DD is trying to change things now by trying to be a role model for them on the sidelines after the game. But maybe DD just doesn't care. I don't know the answer, and I'm not going to judge which is the problem. All I know is that the players need to be out there during the alma mater - regardless of the game's score.

I agree that the team should have stayed on the field. But remember this was their first conference loss in 4 years. I am not trying to make excuses, but they might not of known how to react.

You have to understand that this loss was much different than any of them have experience since coming to NT. With most OCC games they are expected to come out on the short end of the stick. Some OCC games they are expected to be competitive and the bowl games I believe they have the mindset to try and win, but if they are not the victors then it is not that big of a deal.

I believe last Tuesday was a shock to that teams/coaches system. I think everyone of them expected to win that game no matter how bad they had been playing. You learn how to win and lose. It nearly becomes a habit. That is why some teams continue to win the close games and some teams continue to lose the same games. I hope our guys do not get use to the latter. I like everyone else on this board wants to have a winning program. However, I would rather win the SBC instead of finishing 2nd in any year. 6-5 is not satisfactory, but it is better than any losing season.

Give them a break. If it continues to happen then make your concerns known at the athletic department. Hell, contact DD's office. Until then keep supporting the kids at the games and on this board.

ohmy.gif

okay, its pretty sad that everyone is spending so much time arguing about whether or not the team stayed for the school song. maybe they were instructed to leave, maybe not...WHO CARES! maybe if we could fill our small concrete high school stadium to capacity each week then they would stay. thats the sad part. theres no fan support.

blink.gif

I always thought the team came and faced the crowd after a VICTORY. We are so used to seeing this now we think it is routine. I may be wrong, but I thougt that is how it was. Did the face the crowd a few years ago after the South Florida loss? I can't remember, does anybody know?

Either way it is no reason to stop showing our support. Anybody who does not is a fair weather fan. The oceans are rough right now folks, so either bail out in a life boat or stick it out and be amazed after the oceans have become calm. It may be another year or two, but I think it will happen.