NT's Future? Get Tape of NT/Troy Game & Listen To

PlummMeanGreen

As posted by some of you last night, at the beginning of the 3'rd quarter the ESPN2 broadcast team of (NT grad) Dave Barnett and color commentator, ie, former SMU great/Celina resident Craig James hosted Coach Hayden Fry in the broadcast booth for about 10 very important minutes and you at the game who didn't see the broadcast should just hear all 3 of them carry on about what's going on in Mean Green Country. cool.gif

Heck! Did Mandy McKinley sign up SMU Ex Craig James in the Mean Green Club yesterday or what? laugh.gif He was quite positive and enthusiastic about NT's building program and future.

Some of us have criticized Craig James on GMG.com (probably because he went to SMU) but overall, he was very gratuitous toward NORTH TEXAS in last evening's nationally televised broadcast. Of course, he is still quite opinionated on specific things which is why I guess ESPN has him on the payroll? (Not that some of us are as opinionated, right)? ohmy.gif

The film clip of NT Coach Hayden Fry before the 1974 SMU/NT game of which many of us attended is priceless and ESPN's Dave Barnett/Craig James got a huge kick out of watching that old film footage of Fry. Craig James said he and Dave Barnett watched the Fry film in its entirety earlier and said it was some classic stuff; but those of us who who were around during the Fry era already knew that, now didn't we? rolleyes.gif

Even in a loss last night, it was a positive nationally televised production for us in Mean Green Country that will (IMHO) pay off for us in recruiting the next few months. We have some Texas/Oklahoma HS potential recruits who now know they can come play at NT much quicker than they can at most other NCAA D1-A outposts. They also know that nationally televised broadcasts of Mean Green football the last few years are hardly a stranger in Mean Green Country any longer, also.

ALSO FOR FUTURE NT RECRUITS..........doesn't hurt that they will have (as ESPN color commentator Craig James described) a super "athletic dorm" over at the new Mean Green Athletic Village to be their home-away-from home while at NT. (Of course, we know that its not an athletic dorm since the NCAA outlawed such exclusitivity years ago, but we also know many of NT's athletes (especially our football players) do live in Victory Hall, right? smile.gif

I've sorta' changed my mind about former Pony Express'er Craig James after last night and watching the replay of the game.

BTW, toward the end of the NT/Tu game replay, they did show part of the virtual video tour of the new NT football stadium that really got Craig James excited about whats happening in Denton.

Anyone notice last night if Brock Stickler catches that pass from Meager (that ESPN'er Dave Barnett said had touchdown written all over it)............ AND if not for "one" TU player tripping up Jamario Thomas for what the ESPN guys said would have been a TD how much happier we'd all most likely be today?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I spoke with several Co-workers this morning and they were disappointed that we lost, but were VERY impressed with the corwd on a Tuesday night, and with the talk of facilities.

I think this was a huge night for us. I spoke to a Tech grad last week, and he asked "How big is NT? 14k students?" I almost started laughing while I was explaing our size and the amount of stuff being built. he was shocked.

I spoke with several Co-workers this morning and they were disappointed that we lost, but were VERY impressed with the corwd on a Tuesday night, and with the talk of facilities.

I think this was a huge night for us.  I spoke to a Tech grad last week, and he asked "How big is NT?  14k students?"  I almost started laughing while I was explaing our size and the amount of stuff being built.  he was shocked.

Many across America learned about NORTH TEXAS last night even in our loss.

I think the main thing they learned last night on ESPN2 from Hayden Fry, Craig James and Dave Barnett is that we are not going to stand still or go backwards with short-term setbacks such as a football game loss.

It was really great to see Fry again (on TV for me). I recall how he walked over to the band practice field on the first day of marching practice and introduced himself to Maurice McAdow. He always had some nice words for the band and also presented "flying worm" beer mugs painted with our name on it (I still have mine) for the paid band staff.

It was hard to miss him drive around Denton in his lime green Chevy.

His speech was great as well. I assume that was taken from the documentary made of the game with SMU. I wonder if it is possible to get a copy?

As a bystander for most of this debate, there are positives from both the current time and Fry's time. It is easy to forget that there was absolutely no fan support for Fry's first several years. That did not come until later. I recall an attendence of 300 (that is not a misprint) at the San Diego St game where it was the first time in North Texas history that we beat a ranked team.

Fry even had his team standing on each corner on the square trying to sell tickets to the Denton natives!

Of course, we all want this team to improve, but I predict that 30 years from now someone on this board (or its successor) will refer to the Dickey era with pride.

It was really great to see Fry again (on TV for me). I recall how he walked over to the band practice field on the first day of marching practice and introduced himself to Maurice McAdow. He always had some nice words for the band and also presented "flying worm" beer mugs painted with our name on it (I still have mine) for the paid band staff.

It was hard to miss him drive around Denton in his lime green Chevy.

His speech was great as well. I assume that was taken from the documentary made of the game with SMU. I wonder if it is possible to get a copy?

Fry even had his team standing on each corner on the square trying to sell tickets to the Denton natives!

Of course, we all want this team to improve, but I predict that 30 years from now someone on this board (or its successor) will refer to the Dickey era with pride.

Now, THAT is another great example of how great a coach and motivator Hayden Fry was. This guy did whatever was necessary to get the North Texas AND Denton communities involved.

Fry would go ANYWHERE and talk to ANY ORGANIZATION to get them involved. The guy was one of a kind.

AND if not for "one" TU player tripping up Jamario Thomas for what the ESPN guys said would have been a TD

I don't think there's any way Jamario breaks that for a touchdown. Troy had too many fast players close to his heels, and Jamario's a little short on zoom these days.

---I was very impressed with Fry's statements and even the announcers were complimentary. Fry stated how much better the situation is now that it was 25 years ago when he was here. He pointed out that we are the the only state university in the Dallas/Ft.Worth region and that there is a huge population nearby and that we should be in a major conference. That guy could sell sand to an Arab. I am still a fan of that West-Texas (Odessa) native.

---I get the same reaction out in in West Texas (as one of you posted) when I mention the size of North Texas. I always follow it with we are several thousand larger than TxTech plus we about the same size as Baylor, SMU and TCU, combined. Most had no idea, and are very surprized... Doesn't hurt to mention the best known grad at the moment is probably Dr. Phil who has a couple of NT degrees...

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

As soon as we get a new stadium this program is going to rise to new heights. I can't wait... with everything Hayden Fry said last night it just gives me chills.

Its great 3 big Southwest Conference schools wanted us in the conference old SWC... where would we be if we some how joined the SWC? This is a very exciting time... the only thing we are lacking is a new stadium.

---Unfortunately one school absolutely opposed us [ SMU ] and convinced TCU and Baylor to vote against our admission to the SWC. UT and Arkansas were two members that really supported us, and don't who the other one was.

---That completely explains my signature at the bottom

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

---Unfortunately one school absolutely opposed us [ SMU ] and convinced TCU and Baylor to vote against our admission to the SWC.  UT and Arkansas were two members that really supported us, and don't who the other one was.

---That completely explains my signature at the bottom

I stand to be corrected but I think the 3'rd school was Texas A&M University.

Arkansas would have been in Fry's back pocket to support NT because as a young man he was an assistant coach with Frank Broyles in Fayetteville. Frank Broyles also had quite an array of assistants who later landed head football coaching jobs (just like Fry did). 2 of those who started as assistants with Fry at UNT later going to Iowa were Bill Snyder and Bill Patterson.

All things considered, for all those who pooh-poohed our getting in the SWC ended up not being in it themselves (or the Big 12) either for the most part.

NT just needs to take care of business at those 200 acres at our Eagle Point Campus and our fans need to remain steadfast with our Mean Green thru thick and thin and FWIW, I think the largest majority on this highly read message board we call GoMeanGreen.com will do just that.

GMG!

Last night we saw progress in the making inasmuch as after we had upwards of 24,000 at our home season opener in our one-sided loss to Tulsa U, we still had over 17,000 plus who came out last night when some on this board predicted dramatically fewer fans.

I think we are finally beginning to tie all these NT record -breaking freshmen classes together at the Fouts Field turnstiles & this is what we have all hoped for and wanted to see happen. 4 bowl games in a row has helped all this no matter what we do this Fall. But IMO, all this will only increase with all these new faces at Fouts Field with more growth expected to happen in our freshmen and sophmore classes. So I guess one could say that there are (in deed) some percs to having a large enrollment school?. smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen