If we're gonna run up the middle...

SpaceMonkey

Right but that is when passes could be completed on a consistent basis. We face two problems right now.

1) running game is stuck using the same formula we've been using for the last few years.

2) can't complete a pass that doesn't involve JQ and Muzzy acrobatics.

Since #1 being stuck is a function of #2 not ever happening, then you need to reverse the formula. Use #1 to get #2 back on track. The passing game is suppose to make LB fall back when they aren't going to rush. Fortunately for defenses they don't have to worry about that because Stephen Hawking throws better passes than Meager. So the LBs stay up on the line and as soon as they see that hand off they crash the gaps.

I think Meager could be effective if he had time and space to make 8 yard throws. That space won't open up until ground attack is established. Ground attack won't be established until you can open some holes. And while the OL has some room to improve its asking a lot for them to block their man and the LB filling the gaps. Put in a fat guy to lead the way and I promise you that you can gain yards. If nothing else you at least put some punishment on the defensive players.

I know I keep harping on this oline problem, but look at OU this season. They had the same problem up there where they lost a lot of guys on the oline, but now have gotten the new folks up there to do some of their part as the running backs are now having holes to run through.....maybe Stoops and the Oline coach up there could do like a half day coaching clinic for DD and his oline coach?

We had to run between the tackles. Troy had too much team speed to run the corners. More than once PC or JT seemed to be just one step from breaking it and they were tackled by a very fast Troy defense.

Meager is getting better, there were about 6 times last night that he scrambled away from the sack - whereas he previously would have been sacked. He was also effective in the no-huddle offense. The sense of urgency came way too late. He is still making poor passing decisions, he was picked off twice but it could have easily been 5 times.

I don't have the game on DVR or anything but I would be willing to wager that most of those runs that were almsot broken didn't come on 1st and 10. They came either in suspected passing situations or in downs subsequent to a passing gain.

I recall specifically one run, I think it was Cobbs, who went straight up the cut. They replayed it to show the hole he went through which was very wide (to the OLs credit), but thats not the only thing that made the play. You also noticed that everyone was dropped back in coverage which gave him a complete gap and 5 yards of running cushion.

It doesn't take a 10 foot hole to run through with those two backs. The typical holes that the OL is opening up is good enough, problem is there are other defensive players in the way also.

Right but that is when passes could be completed on a consistent basis. We face two problems right now.

1) running game is stuck using the same formula we've been using for the last few years.

2) can't complete a pass that doesn't involve JQ and Muzzy acrobatics.

Since #1 being stuck is a function of #2 not ever happening, then you need to reverse the formula. Use #1 to get #2 back on track. The passing game is suppose to make LB fall back when they aren't going to rush. Fortunately for defenses they don't have to worry about that because Stephen Hawking throws better passes than Meager. So the LBs stay up on the line and as soon as they see that hand off they crash the gaps.

I think Meager could be effective if he had time and space to make 8 yard throws. That space won't open up until ground attack is established. Ground attack won't be established until you can open some holes. And while the OL has some room to improve its asking a lot for them to block their man and the LB filling the gaps. Put in a fat guy to lead the way and I promise you that you can gain yards. If nothing else you at least put some punishment on the defensive players.

I agree with you. We've got 3 BIG TEs who never get thrown to and we never run outside anymore, so why not pull them into the backfield and use them as an Hback?? Seems like we did this occasionally in the past, but never this season. Why not try it to at least give Cobbs and Thomas a chance to do something??

AMEN. Anyone who thinks the offense needs to be more imaginative, here's your chance to get on the band wagon of change. Someone email DD and/or Flannigan and tell them to put a FB in the game for at least 5-10 carries. There's a reason that top 10 teams with a great running back often use a fullback too.

How effective is a fullback? Look at what Lorenzo Neal has done for every team he's played for. Eddie George and Corey Dillon had their most productive years running behind a 5'11" 255lb steamroller. Now he blocks for LT in San Diego. It's no surprise LT is so effective.

Edited by Got5onIt

How effective is a fullback? Look at what Lorenzo Neal has done for every team he's played for. Chris Brown and Corey Dillon had their most productive years running behind a 5'11" 255lb steamroller. Now he blocks for LT in San Diego. It's no surprise LT is so effective.

Don't forget Emmitt Smith with Daryl "Moose" Johnston leading the charge.

Back to North Texas ... Do we have someone that can be a fullback?

At this point I'm up for anything. If we have to retool our offense for something totally different, then so be it.

Fullback? I swear we have people at that position...I think we did...I just haven't seen them all season. Hey, didn't one of those fullbacks have a good day running allover ArkSt last season?

On a serious note- a blocking fullback may help out. The RBs are hitting walls...maybe they need a nice battering ram to knock out a hole for them.

Don't forget Emmitt Smith with Daryl "Moose" Johnston leading the charge.

Back to North Texas ... Do we have someone that can be a fullback?

At this point I'm up for anything.  If we have to retool our offense for something totally different, then so be it.

I meant Eddie George instead of Chris Brown. Got those Titans TB's mixed up. laugh.gif

Yes we do have a fullback. When I was watching the game there was a point where I began developing my game plan involving a FB and then asked myself why he wasn't in there. Then on the next play there was a lone back set and I thought "That guy is too fat to be Cobbs.....is that the FB" sure enough it was. Check the participation report, we had a FB in the game at atleast one point. #37 James Mitchell.

No team goes without recruiting someone who can play FB. A lot of teams also recruit LBs who become FBs or the other way around. So worst case you have a LB do it. They are used to putting hits on people anyways, the jobs aren't too different. Frankly if that FB is smart he'd transfer, doesn't look like DD is going to use his ass anyways.