Kansas City-area QB holds first offer

LongJim

Info from Brian Gates at www.rivals.com:

Peculiar (Mo.) Raymore-Peculiar quarterback Carson Coffman picked up his first scholarship offer earlier this spring. Now, the son of former NFL tight end Paul Coffman is preparing for a series of summer camps.

"I am getting regular letters from some of the Big 12 schools and Iowa and Colorado State," the 6-foot-2, 171-pound Coffman said. "I got my offer from North Texas when I was down there for the Elite 11 camp at TCU.

"We stopped by the North Texas campus while we were there. We talked to Coach (Darrell) Dickey and watched my film with him. He was really impressed. He said I would probably get some offers from bigger schools but if I wanted to come there he had a spot for me and offered me when we were there."

While several schools are talking to Coffman, nobody has emerged as the favorite at this point.

"I'm just watching these schools," he said. "I'm trying to take in all of them and learn about them. I don't have a favorite at this point. I'm going to go to the several camps this summer. I'm planning on going to Missouri, K-State and Kansas one-day camps in Kansas City. Then I might go to the Kansas and Iowa camps at the schools."

A workout program is keeping Coffman busy this spring.

"I'm lifting after school. Then, my dad, brother and I with some friends do some speed training on Tuesday and Thursdays. All of that will help me."

That last info was from May of this year. Below is an article from 9/15/05. The kid has added 10 lbs. of muscle, and shaved almost .2 off his 40 time. From his film, he appears to have nice touch on the long ball, and good arm strength.

More from www.rivals.com

With his older brother, Chase, already making an impact for the Missouri Tigers, Peculiar (Mo.) Ray-Pec two-star quarterback Carson Coffman hopes to do the same thing when he makes it to the next level. So far the results of his senior season seem to indicate that he's a got a shot at that happening.

"We're 2-0," Coffman, who is 6-foot-2 and 181 pounds, said. "We've beaten Kearney and Raytown. My first game I was 6 for 11 for 150 yards and two touchdowns. Then last week I was 8 for 8 with around 100 yards."

It definitely seems like Coffman is much improved over his junior season.

"I'm more confident and better at reading coverages," he said. "Last year it just all seemed a lot faster, but this year, I'm more settled and things come more naturally to me."

Coffman still has a lone scholarship offer from North Texas. He said he is still being personally recruited by North Texas head coach Darrell Dickey.

"I like them," he said. "They've been on me for quite some time and they say I'm important to them."

Coffman said he also received a call from Utah State earlier this week.

"I don't know much about them," he said. "But I'll have to see what they have to offer now that they're calling me."

My question is:

1. How much recruiting does UNT do with H.S. / Prep School atheletes in their Junior year??

2. How many TOP recruits, in their Jr/Sr., years do we go after to start the exposure process to UNT??

It would seem to me that the earlier we try to recruit TOP atheletes in their Junior or early Senior years the MORE of a positive impression we bring to them. This is not to mention having them make an early visit to our campus.

Does anyone know????

I think it's HUGE that he would say "they've been on me for quite some time and they say I'm important to them." That means that 1)We're putting forth the effort to stay after him (And DD personally to boot) and 2)We're conveying to him how much/how early he could make an impact here as opposed to elsewhere. Even in an run heavy offense a kid with talent and the ability to tuck and run himself would have to give us at least a look.

It would be awesome if we land this kid, but why would you say

"He said I would probably get some offers from bigger schools but if I wanted to come there he had a spot for me and offered me when we were there."

de dee dee!

From stories i have heard... DD has always shot straight with his potential recruits. DD is probably right. If this guy has it... then the bigger schools will come calling.

My question is:

1.  How much recruiting does UNT do with H.S. / Prep School atheletes in their Junior year??

I think they probably start looking closely during the junior year.

2.  How many TOP recruits, in their Jr/Sr., years do we go after to start the exposure process to UNT??

Rivals has 33 athletes on their board for UNT as of right now. Six have verbally committed to other schools. Some of the schools? Tulsa, Kansas St., TCU, NC, aTm, and Prairie View.

13 are considered 2-star recruits by Rivals. 2 are considered 3-star, one of whom has verbally committed to TCU.

As an aside, one recruit is playing at Northwest, and another at St. Jo. biggrin.gif

Edited by LongJim

It is my understanding  that Carson Coffman's father is a close friend and was a teammate of DD.  His 40 time is listed as 4.9 so if he has reduced it by .2 it would be at 4.7.  Carsopn is 6'2, 171 lbs and is a pro style QB.    He was HM all Kansas City area as a Jr.

Sorry for the confusion: Rivals has him at 4.88 from the Manhattan KS combine 5/05. Down from 5.09 run at Iowa City 5/04. He's also bulked up from the 171 during his jr. year.

If the kid has aspirations of playing after college he should really consider playing at a smaller school. At a bigger school he'll be fighting for playing time with other 3, 4, and 5 star recruits. He may ride the bench for 2-3 years before he gets a chance to play. At a school like North Texas, an impact player can break into the line up almost immediately. He could probably start 3-4 years. Thats a lot more playing time and getting on film to make an impression on scouts.

but I'm sure DD has been telling him all of this.

BTW, for anyone that think facilities don't matter. We would have ZERO chance at this kind of player even considering us without the new Athletic Center and practice facility.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest from KC Star...

Posted on Sat, Oct. 01, 2005

Washington rushes Ray-Pec past Belton

By JAMES ARNOLD

Special to The Star

It was homecoming, and Raymore Peculiar’s Derrick Washington felt right at home.

Washington rushed for 153 yards and three touchdowns as Raymore-Peculiar pushed back Belton 42-21 Friday night at Ray-Pec.

Washington scored on runs of 49, 10 and 1 yards for Ray-Pec, which amassed 291 yards and six touchdowns on the ground. Teammate Thomas Hodges added 103 yards and another rushing score.

Quarterback Carson Coffman’s arm wasn’t necessary, but he got into the action by breaking loose on a 30-yard score on a first-half option play.

Washington said playing against rival Belton, 3-2 overall and 1-2 in the Suburban Mid Six, fueled his team’s play.

“This is the game to show your talent,” Washington said. “Everyone in town is going to be there.

“Our O-line did its job. And if the O-line does its job, there is a hole for the back to make things happen.”

Ray-Pec, 5-0 and 4-0, had little trouble moving the ball early. On the Panthers’ first drive, Washington and Hodges battered the Belton defense on eight plays, moving the ball 68 yards for a touchdown. The shortest drive of the game came when Hodges rushed just 4 yards for a touchdown. Sean Middleton’s extra point was wide left, giving Ray-Pec a 6-0 lead.

Belton withstood the first Ray-Pec punch and moved the ball back down the field. Jake Lynch touched the ball seven times during the 14-play drive, which stalled at the Ray-Pec 14. Jared Pierschbacher then came up short on a 24-yard field goal.

After Ray-Pec’s offense was stymied on the next drive, Belton used six plays to move the ball 58 yards, highlighted by a 33-yard pass from Tommy Coovert to Justin Welch. Lynch lumbered in from 3 yards out and gave Belton a 7-6 lead.

Ray-Pec’s offense rekindled, scoring on the next two possessions, and entered halftime ahead 21-7.

Ray-Pec’s third touchdown provided the most excitement. Coffman ran the option to the right, juked a defender after 10 yards, bounced to the right sideline and rolled over Welch into the end zone.

Coffman attempted just four passes in the win.

“When you’ve got two guys like Thomas (Hodges) and Derrick (Washington), it’s just tough to defend,” Ray-Pec coach Tom Kruse said. “We were thinking going into the football game that we were going to have to throw the football, but up front, offensively, we didn’t really move a whole lot of people, but we got hats on hats and created lanes.”

The lanes seemed to open for Belton early in the second half as Lynch and company marched 61 yards in 13 plays, topped by an 18-yard, Coovert-to-Welch scoring strike, making it 21-14.

But Ray-Pec scored on its next three possessions while halting Belton on a punt and an interception, increasing its lead to 42-14.

Belton showed life late, completing an 11-play, 52-yard drive that finished the game’s scoring. Belton scored despite Ray-Pec’s defense sacking Coovert three times, including two by Jamison Shaw.

Belton coach Jeff Gourley credited Ray-Pec but quickly turned his attention to his team’s future.

“I don’t feel bad at all getting beat by Ray-Pec,” he said. “We didn’t show our best tonight, so hopefully we’ll get another shot at them in November.”

• 4 weeks later...

Coffman has Ray-Pec at 7-0...

10-17-05: As for recruiting, he still is holding one offer from North Texas but is looking for more.

"I think Kansas and Wisconsin will probably end up offering me before too long," Coffman said. "I went up to Wisconsin when they played Michigan at home. We gave them my tape and talked to the receivers coach. They're waiting on some bigger targets, so we'll see."

With visits, Coffman plans on taking them to North Texas, Kansas, Wisconsin, Missouri, and possibly Purdue.

"I'm thinking about recruiting a little bit, but I'm trying to talk to the schools that I kind of like," Coffman said. "I haven't narrowed it down or anything. I'm going to wait until after the season to get down to that."

Coffman is rated as the No. 25 overall prospect in the state of Missouri.

seems like i met a student (or 25,000) who share that attitude!

Ba humbug. There is plenty of pride at unt and it is growing.

I will say this, if we could ever develop the relationships with local dfw programs the talent will not be an issue. I think dickey is making inroads but more work needs to be done. The new facilities have been huge this past year and will continue to be.

Lifer, how do you know this? He lead his team to a state championship last year and is now 7-0 this year. But he is on a run oriented team. It all comes down to how much playing time he wants to get. Does he want to be the man to take NT to the next level or does he want to sit for several years while getting mop up duty and maybe, just maybe start his sr. yr. Or come to NT and be in the picture right away.

Lifer, how do you know this? He lead his team to a state championship last year and is now 7-0 this year. But he is on a run oriented team.  It all comes down to how much playing time he wants to get. Does he want to be the man to take NT to the next level or does he want to sit for several years while getting mop up duty and maybe, just maybe start his sr. yr.  Or come to NT and be in the picture right away.

Just a few comments led me to this opinion like:

As for recruiting, he still is holding one offer from North Texas but is looking for more.

Or

"I think Kansas and Wisconsin will probably end up offering me before too long," Coffman said. "I went up to Wisconsin when they played Michigan at home. We gave them my tape and talked to the receivers coach.

Or

"I haven't narrowed it down or anything. I'm going to wait until after the season to get down to that."

Again, just my opinion.