Besides Chris Davis, who will be the big dog?

Zeke

I am looking for Hopkins to start to be more of a leader and for Degrate to make Baylor wonder what they were thinkng. I also think it is time for Will Smith to lose the underclassman look and start being more aggressive.

I don't think Chris' replacement is on the team yet. He is yet to be recruited and this will be the big carrot that JJ uses to get that player - you can come to North Texas and be the big dog, the go- to- guy that replaces Chris Davis.

With all due respect to Hopkins, and I realize he was just a freshmen last year, I don't see him as the shooter to replace Davis. Hopkins is a great athlete who does have the ability to create his own shot but needs to learn to play more under control and be more consistent. I'm not taking anything away from him as I see him as a valuable member of this team for the next three years. I don't see him as being the consistent scorer that replaces Davis. It would be a pleasant surprise if I'm wrong and I'm not going to discount the impact of the coaching stafff on the improvement of any of the players. smile.gif

Can't argue with you about the out of control Hopkins, he DID have too many turnovers. But, like you said, he is a freshman, and hopefully we will see him maker wiser decisions soon. Also, I do hope you that we can recruit another Chris Davis type player . Can't wait to see what JJ puts together.

Dave, I don't think that you replace a Chris Davis but maybe once every ten years. I believe that he's been in the Top 15 in scoring all three seasons.

I do think that Hopkins may be his heir-apparent though. I saw flashes of brilliance last season. And remember, he had rust from three years of inactivity to shed. He won't have great numbers this season either because he basically plays behind Chris. He won't have as many minutes and he'll have the other team's best defensive player guarding him. I believe that he is faster and perhaps a better leaper than Davis but just doesn't have as much court savvy. I do expect improvement this year. Also remember that he was rated in the Top 10 in the state as a sophomore.

I look for more balanced scoring this year with Degrate and Green carrying a little more of the load with Davis. I also believe that we'll see a few more points out of both the post and the point guard position this year. Neither are usually called on to do a lot of scoring but with our height at post I believe that we'll get some offensive rebound points and we have point guards who are decent at shooting threes.

I agree with your assessment of a 20-win season. If JJ can win 15 with unknown (to him) personnel and a tougher schedule, I think that with one more scorer (Degrate), more experience with JJ's system and a lot more height, then I think that 20 wins are very doable.

I wonder what this season's schedule holds for us....

Beating SMU and playing TTech close would make for some improvements over last year. Of course, we'd have to win over TCU again to prove to them that last wasn't a fluke.

I do think that Hopkins may be his heir-apparent though.  I saw flashes of brilliance last season.  And remember, he had rust from three years of inactivity to shed.

Agree. Hopkins is coming back from injuries that would end most players. What made Chris Davis such a great player was last years improvement in rebounding, passing, floor leadership, etc.

Hopkins will have to improve in all those areas to be as good as Chris Davis, but he has the ability, and he has already shown he has the drive, just by being here and competing.

Davis and Hopkins are the only two players on this team who make you sit back and go "OOOooohhhh...."

laugh.gif

• 9 years later...

Or even Kendrick Davis. He always seemed to hit them in clutch situations.

I was hoping that would be Brandon Walton... A nice Juco transfer with stroke from 3...

I would take a George King! When the orange seats were still around that's the man I always remember nailing the three haha... but I was just a youngin then...

If you guys are intereseted in former NT players check out this site:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/north-texas/5-chris-davis

They have stats going back to the 96-97 season.

Wow. Thanks for site!!

I loved going back to the 96-97 and seeing names like Pooh Davis, Chuck Thrash and TJ Atkins. I also remember thinking Sean Riley was going to be so dominant until I saw him on the court.

Thanks for the trip to my early years at NT!!

If you guys are intereseted in former NT players check out this site:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/north-texas/5-chris-davis

They have stats going back to the 96-97 season.

Wow. Thanks for site!!

I loved going back to the 96-97 and seeing names like Pooh Davis, Chuck Thrash and TJ Atkins. I also remember thinking Sean Riley was going to be so dominant until I saw him on the court.

Thanks for the trip to my early years at NT!!

• Upvote 1