Rivals article,..who is the next Urban Meyer..

OldTimer

9. Darryl Dickey – North Texas

Name the only active Division I-A coach to lead his team to four consecutive league titles? He doesn't come from any of the BCS conferences and chances are you've probably never even heard of him.

Darryl Dickey has directed the Mean Green to the Sun Belt championship every year since the conference started in 2001 and he has been selected as the league's coach of the year four consecutive times as well.

A former assistant at SMU and UTEP he is extremely familiar with the recruiting hotbeds in Texas and may be taking over one of the state's major programs someday.

I have a hard time believing that Patterson could be the next Urban Meyer. I guess the next couple years could really tell the tale. Last year was a wake up call for the toads. This year ain't going to be a cake walk either.

I have a hard time believing that Patterson could be the next Urban Meyer.  I guess the next couple years could really tell the tale.  Last year was a wake up call for the toads.  This year ain't going to be a cake walk either.

I think Patterson has proven to be a pretty good football coach. Maybe he's not going to be the next Urban Meyer, but then again, if his teams have the same type success in the the Mountain West that they had in CUSA for several seasons.....

We are not 1-AA, D-II, D-III, or JUCO.  Only 119 schools play 1-A football.  Is Vanderbilt a major program?  How about Bowling Green?  One is BCS, one is not.  One is ranked in the Top 25, one in the Bottom 25.  What determines "major"?  blink.gif

In Texas??? The Big 12. Period, end of story. You are not a Big 12 team you are not major in Texas. It sucks, but I dont love the Mean Green any less because of it.

If you are going to compare the attendance, support, strength of schedule and national popularity of Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Texas with that of North Texas, TCU or UTEP... then I want some of what you are smoking.

Shane

Is Vanderbilt a major program? How about Bowling Green? One is BCS, one is not. One is ranked in the Top 25, one in the Bottom 25. What determines "major"? 

The main point is, the one in the top 25 IS NOT bcs and the one in the bottom 25 IS bcs. So again, what is considered MAJOR?

It's a stupid arguement and why they play the game on the field.

Rick

In Texas??? The Big 12. Period, end of story. You are not a Big 12 team you are not major in Texas. It sucks, but I dont love the Mean Green any less because of it.

If you are going to compare the attendance, support, strength of schedule and national popularity of Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Texas with that of North Texas, TCU or UTEP... then I want some of what you are smoking.

Shane

WRONG. A Major Football Program is NOT determined by conference or by $$. Most think it is just because of who they associate within their conference. Don't believe the media hype. Is Boise Major? Louisville? Akron? Baylor?

Is Boise a major, I think so, they kick butt and take names, for the most part. Is Louisville, yes. Is Baylor, they cant win a game hardly so no, but they have butt loads of money so yes. But are we? As much as I love North Texas, I dont think so. Not yet. Yes 25 in a row is an Amazing accomplishment. But, I think that to be a major school like they are talking about, you need to win ooc games. I mean, we couldnt even beat Baylor last year. They sucked. We couldnt beat FAU. Yeah they were good, but they were not even officially 1A yet! Give a serious look at some of the teams we have lost to in the last few years. You cant lose to those teams and be considered a major school. Thats my opinion anyways.

Is Boise a major, I think so, they kick butt and take names, for the most part.  Is Louisville, yes.  Is Baylor, they cant win a game hardly so no, but they have butt loads of money so yes.  But are we? As much as I love North Texas, I dont think so.  Not yet.  Yes 25 in a row is an Amazing accomplishment.  But, I think that to be a major school like they are talking about, you need to win ooc games.  I mean, we couldnt even beat Baylor last year.  They sucked.  We couldnt beat FAU.  Yeah they were good, but they were not even officially 1A yet!  Give a serious look at some of the teams we have lost to in the last few years.  You cant lose to those teams and be considered a major school.  Thats my opinion anyways.

Yes, it's mostly about image; who you beat and who beat you. I'm not saying NT is on a level yet with ut and a$m but we are on a level with more programs than some give us credit for. A few OOC wins would go a long ways towards helping our image! wink.gif