Starting on TV right now - 4:00 p.m.

stebo

Just flipped on the tube and there it was - beautiful Fouts Field! Neccesary Roughness is starting right now - channel 21, 4:00 p.m. Have fun!

And you can check out Rick's IMDB page (we need to add some stuff to it, lol) - as he is credited in the credits - as a special thanks. FFRick was the Armadillo and also the equipment manager for this movie - which really is not that bad of a movie...

Rick's IMDB Page

Edited by stebo

Kind of ironic, the first team that we play in this movie is the Southwest Texas State Bobcats - who are now the Texas State Bobcats. BTW, I just saw someone run the North Texas Battle Flag and I believe that was Rick firing off Boomer in the opening game scene. Dang, this is great to get warmed up for football season, lol! Also, very cool to see real grass on old Fouts Field. Wish we would have stuck with that until this new turf came out.

Edited by stebo

That movie did as much for us exposure wise as 4 straight bowl trips have done combined!

When I mention North Texas out here people still reflect back to that movie and remember that movie and the Texas State Armadillos.

Talk about a flick with staying power!

GMG

Also, very cool to see real grass on old Fouts Field.  Wish we would have stuck with that until this new turf came out.

That was the turf that was just pulled up in the movie. It wasn't real grass. It's been 30 years since fouts had real grass.

That was the turf that was just pulled up in the movie. It wasn't real grass. It's been 30 years since fouts had real grass.

Really? I thought that Helwig got new turf installed when we went to IA in 1994 or so. I always thought there was grass there beforehand. I guess I was watching scenes from the practice field (where obviously) there is real grass. Anyways, the movie is not spectacular but it is so great to see all those clip with the Administration Building and the Willis Library... also, I would say that at least half of that movie is either in Fouts or on the practice fields around it. It just reminded me of Denton watching the whole thing and made me want to get back to campus ASAP.

Fouts went to astro turf somewhere around 84 or 85

85 was the last year with real grass. I used to have a tape of the NT/UTA game played at Fouts in 85. BTW, this was the last college game for UTA. We were playing on grass (very brown grass by the way) and the announcers of the game mentioned that it was going to be replaced with astroturf or something like that before the next season.

My sons and I were in the stands for a kickoff return scene that was taken again and again. We each got a 'dog and a Coke. They gave me a Texas State pennant (I still have it) and the original Dixie Chicks were the entertainment for us "extras." We stayed there until 1:00 or 2:00am. I finally had to leave.

Anyone remember the cardboard cut-outs in the stands?

I wonder if we could still use them ?

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy season tickets

GO MEAN GREEN

The guy running the flag on the sidelines during the season is Talon named Dr. Chris Chaney of Granbury. He and I also fire "Boomer" the Cannon at the start of the movie. Chris took over as Historian Chair for me after I graduated.

That turf in the movie was replaced in the mid 90's with the carpet they just replaced this summer. And as bad as this most recent-replaced turf had become it was not nearly as horrible as that crap they played on in the late 80's to early 90's. In many places the plastic tips of the blades of synthetic grass had melted from the years of exposure to the Texas heat and bonded together much like what happens when you burn the ends together of a piece of nylon rope. This left clumps the size of a softball that were as hard as the face of a rubber malet. You couldn't walk on it in the summer in your bare feet for any length of time due to the heat and any sliding on it with exposed skin took the skin right off.

Rick