Baseball

Hunter Green

Also, when is construction scheduled to begin on the stadium?

They were to have turned dirt in November but I don't know if they did yet. The location will be on the west side of Bonnie Brae across the street from the entrance to the new Athletic Center. As for the team, there will probably not be a varsity team for at least a couple years (funding and Title IX issues) but the NT club baseball team will use the facility.

Edited by NT80

• 1 month later...

The new TCL team in Denton is going to be called the Denton Outlaws. Who came up with that name several months ago?

I do know that on 1/12/05 the owner of the team is meeting with select, youth baseball coaches to discuss starting a Denton Outlaws Organization. The McKinney Marshals have this kind of arrangement for 8-18 year old boys. So this means that if they are starting some kind of youth organization then a real team should not be that far behind. That's all the news I have at this point.

I saw this archived story, was it ever put on GMG.com?

Mayor pushes Denton growth

Paul Knight

Staff Writer

October 07, 2004

Mayor Euline Brock envisions a future Denton that stands apart from other booming suburbs in the area and becomes the "third city" in the Metroplex. Brock, a NT distinguished alumna, said NT plays a major role in both the Denton of the future and the past.

"We would be nothing without UNT," Brock said. "[NT] shaped who we are as a community." Brock said Denton is in a transition of either becoming another large suburb of Dallas or becoming a city that stands alone. Because of major growth in Denton and the surrounding areas, Brock said it is time to decide what the city will be. "We have two choices," Brock said. "One is that we are a real city and we act like a city, or we're just going to be a really large place taking what's leftover from the south of us."

To examine the problem of setting Denton apart from other cities, the city hired an "economic development consulting firm" from Austin.

After examining other north Texas cities, the firm suggested Denton's theme be, "The Creative and Intellectual Capital of North Texas."

"It really does fit Denton, and it doesn't fit anyplace else," Brock said. She said there are several areas Denton must improve to become a great city. One is Denton's sports industry, and the city will focus on collegiate level sports. Brock said she hopes the city can build a new baseball complex that will rival Frisco's minor league stadium, and bring NCAA baseball to NT.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, when is construction scheduled to begin on the stadium?

I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but The House That Ruth built was constructed in 284 working days in 1922 for 2.5 Mil!

The plans are being finished and hopefully construction starts soon!

I know this is comparing apples to oranges, but The House That Ruth built was constructed in 284 working days in 1922 for 2.5 Mil!

The plans are being finished and hopefully construction starts soon!

The Coppell TCL schedule shows games @ Denton in June 2005. Originally the plan was for groundbreaking in November 2004, after initial fundraising was complete, with completion finished before June 2005. I don't see anyway now they can have a field ready by June. There must be an alternate stadium like a high school field or Liberty Christian if the NT field is not ready

Baseball is the main ingredient missing to our invitation into a better conference i.e. Conference USA.  Has this been discussed?  I'm still new and reading the past posts as much as possible. . . and I'm also extremely excited at the prospect of a NT Baseball team.

SMU doesn't have a baseball program.........

UTEP and Tulsa do not have baseball either. sad.gif

Do we really want to be comparing North Texas to those schools ? Aren't we aspiring to take it to a higher level and not just meeting the minimum requirement needed to stay where we are presently ? This is the same line of thinking that has kept us in the "dark ages" of college athletics prior to RV's arrival. Just look at those seats in the end zone at Fouts if you need a reminder. <_<

Do we really want to be comparing North Texas to those schools ? Aren't we aspiring to take it to a higher level and not just meeting the minimum requirement needed to stay where we are presently ? This is the same line of thinking that has kept us in the "dark ages" of college athletics prior to RV's arrival. Just look at those seats in the end zone at Fouts if you need a reminder. dry.gif

??? CUSA would be the next progression up in conferences. Sure, I'd love NT to replace Baylor in the Big?12 tomorrow but first we need a few more facilities and fans.