AAC Tourney

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Yeah if it had to be in one of the school's markets, undoubtedly Memphis would have the best attendance. But Memphis and even Birmingham aren't exactly glorious cities on the rise.

Other centralized cities in the Appalachians like Chattanooga or Asheville scream minor league. Asheville already hosts the SoCon. I would love Nashville if it didn't already host the SEC Tourney.

I would be fine with Atlanta. For those who couldn't drive, it's a big hub for Delta, my preferred airline.

If we want it to be a destination where people would be fine spending their Spring Break, I was thinking somewhere like Pensacola but then saw that's where the Sun Belt has it lol. Maybe NOLA or Savannah.

The SEC and ACC Title games used to go to Atlanta every few years (maybe once every six or so?).  Not sure if either is scheduled to any time soon.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1

Dickies is great but that attendance was horrific. 

Put the tournament in Nashville. There has to be a second arena to the SEC location. Vegaa has 4 tournaments happening! MWC PAC 12 WCC and WAC. They might even have the Big West! Or

Put it in Memphis and change the court. UNLV hasn’t been able to win the tournament on their home court if at all. 

But you pick the best city location people want to play in and to me Nashville gets the nod. Or New Orleans on Tulane’s floor. Heck San Antonio would have had more fans. Fort Worth is not a draw despite the great venue. Comerica in Frisco would at least have entertainment options closer. I wish legacy East/West had an arena if we kept it local. The Star was fun but the venue horrible. Nashville please. 

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

Why did they move it to FW in the first place? The only reason I can think of is, the AAC offices are in DFW.

Yeah, shiny new toy. Aresco probably hoping the AAC at Dickies became a big thing like the Big XII in Kansas City. Dickies has never not hosted an AAC Tournament since it's been operational.

• Upvote 1

Doesn't Memphis play in the same arena as the Memphis Grizzlies? A part of the situation might come down to facility availability. The women's and men's tournament is played over 9 days.

• Puking Eagle 1

39 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Doesn't Memphis play in the same arena as the Memphis Grizzlies? A part of the situation might come down to facility availability. The women's and men's tournament is played over 9 days.

And the town of Memphis is sadly a dump. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

This makes Elvis sad.

image.png.ca338a13d271ee427f7f4edaf6a46031.png

He has no room to comment considering he died on the crapper.  🤣

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

I am thrilled so many schools turned down invites, because I'm not sure we get in otherwise.  Hard to know now given they've changed the way they invite AND seed the thing.  Up until two years ago they had seeded the four brackets 1-8 (once seeding started, which is actually fairly new for the NIT...probably only started within the last dozen years or so).  Now it's 1-4 and they throw everyone else in seemingly randomly.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, CMJ said:

I am thrilled so many schools turned down invites, because I'm not sure we get in otherwise.  Hard to know now given they've changed the way they invite AND seed the thing.  Up until two years ago they had seeded the four brackets 1-8 (once seeding started, which is actually fairly new for the NIT...probably only started within the last dozen years or so).  Now it's 1-4 and they throw everyone else in seemingly randomly.

But yet when I review the brackets there are not any bad teams in fact I think it is a stronger bracket than last year.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

But yet when I review the brackets there are not any bad teams in fact I think it is a stronger bracket than last year.

There's a team with a losing record this year.  I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that's ever happened before.  I don't care if they're a brand name.

I'd have to look at the metrics and such, but I believe last year's field was stronger in the NET.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, CMJ said:

There's a team with a losing record this year.  I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that's ever happened before.  I don't care if they're a brand name.

I'd have to look at the metrics and such, but I believe last year's field was stronger in the NET.

Speaking of Xavier (and earlier K-State), nice to see it's still all love between the former Mean Green.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1