2024 March Madness Thread

Yesterday had some crazy stuff go on.  The complete meltdown of the A-10 tournament was something not often seen - ALL of the lower seeded teams won.  Plenty of OT games throughout the country.

Of tangential interest to us, the CUSA had old conference mates MTSU, WKU, and UTEP all make the semis.  Sorta made me happy to see some of those long time rivals names again.  I'd love to play WKU OOC every now and again.

Also JJ is still alive in the SWAC.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Is there any coach in the country that has flown under the radar the last 20 years more than JJ?

He's underrated, but I wouldn't go that far.  Unfortunately his stint at LSU probably affects the way he's perceived as well.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Cougar King said:

Texas Tech wasn't a challenge either. Crazy because these are tournament teams with 4 and 5th seeds.

The next tournament will tell us if Houston is that good, and/or the other B12ers are overrated.

• Upvote 2

All kidding aside, I do think Houston has a decent shot to win the whole thing, but the betting favorite HAS to be Connecticut.  Even though the Cougars were ranked #1, the Huskies have been the best team all season, bar none.  Plus they're defending champs.  I'm not saying they're unbeatable, and given I'm sure everyone will have them in their brackets I may go for someone else given crazy stuff happens every year, but when they're on no one can beat them.

• Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, CMJ said:

All kidding aside, I do think Houston has a decent shot to win the whole thing, but the betting favorite HAS to be Connecticut.  Even though the Cougars were ranked #1, the Huskies have been the best team all season, bar none.  Plus they're defending champs.  I'm not saying they're unbeatable, and given I'm sure everyone will have them in their brackets I may go for someone else given crazy stuff happens every year, but when they're on no one can beat them.

I would go with Purdue since we aren't in their way this year. 

• Haha 1

On 3/14/2024 at 3:04 PM, Cougar King said:

I thought TCU would put a better fight than this 

Funny, I read the same thing on the Iowa St board tonight about you all. 

• Haha 1

On 3/15/2024 at 8:55 PM, Cougar King said:

Texas Tech wasn't a challenge either. Crazy because these are tournament teams with 4 and 5th seeds.

"The Cyclones rolled to the 69-41 victory, giving them their sixth Big 12 trophy in their sixth title game appearance.

The margin was the largest over a No. 1 team since UCLA beat the Cougars by 32 in the 1968 Final Four."

LOL

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Funny, I read the same thing on the Iowa St board tonight about you all. 

5 hours ago, NT80 said:

"The Cyclones rolled to the 69-41 victory, giving them their sixth Big 12 trophy in their sixth title game appearance.

The margin was the largest over a No. 1 team since UCLA beat the Cougars by 32 in the 1968 Final Four."

LOL

5 hours ago, BigWillie said:

It's funny how Cougar Queen is so quiet after these types of losses.

We pulled the starters out in the 2nd half since we still have the #1 seed and already won the Big 12 in the regular season.

Remind me again what tournament UNT will be in, you're talking smack when you guys would get ran off the court against us.

• Puking Eagle 1

Remind me again why we care about Houston?  Never been in the same conference, we play each other like once every hundred years, and you are hours away from Denton geographically.  Y'all have a great team, but I don't see UNC fans coming on our board to talk about how great they are.  If they did though, I would give them crap about losing to NC State.