Not to reignite the "Replace The Pit" argument, but...

Matt from A700

Baylor's Foster Pavilion is nearing completion and looking great. It'll seat 3,000 less than the Ferrell Center. The new parking garage and existing Robinson Park gives the walk-up an AAC/Victory Park vibe.

image.png.828c1d9a80c140ba7887ab811bbf20b3.png

image.png.6a2644353682bdf7d98e8c586e9b3fcb.png

image.png.1b0bbd2ade1dc7f923379202d697067a.png

Now, if we do want to restart the argument, my official stance: Replacing The Pit shouldn't be a Top 3, or even Top 5 priority of the AD. If/when we get a new gym, my wish list: 10,000 seats, keep the suite/party seats away from the court, and built on campus east of 35E. Unfortunately, 2/3 of those probably wouldn't be met.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Baylor's Foster Pavilion is nearing completion and looking great. It'll seat 3,000 less than the Ferrell Center. The new parking garage and existing Robinson Park gives the walk-up an AAC/Victory Park vibe.

Now, if we do want to restart the argument, my official stance: Replacing The Pit shouldn't be a Top 3, or even Top 5 priority of the AD. If/when we get a new gym, my wish list: 10,000 seats, keep the suite/party seats away from the court, and built on campus east of 35E. Unfortunately, 2/3 of those probably wouldn't be met.

You'll go 0/3 on this. Less seats, in the MG village and similar suites as pictured. Not sure it is what it's best but it is what we'll get.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreen13 said:

You'll go 0/3 on this. Less seats, in the MG village and similar suites as pictured. Not sure it is what it's best but it is what we'll get.

The courtside/fieldside suites are what drives me the craziest regarding new stadiums built at all levels. It's probably what I hate the most about the new Rangers ballpark. Having suites instead of a real seats behind home plate looks terrible. And how can you see a thing from those suites at Cowboys Stadium?

In our situation, need to keep the students and band as close to the court as possible.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt from A700 said:

Not really a fan of a barn-style arena.  Looks 1950-ish, and with very steep steps to climb in the corners and upper sections.   

Will students be able to walk from campus over or under I-35 to that location? Many will complain about the location and walk across the freeway!  Where have we heard that before?

1 hour ago, NT80 said:

Not really a fan of a barn-style arena.  Looks 1950-ish, and with very steep steps to climb in the corners and upper sections.   

I lived in Waco for three and one-half years in my youth (1967-1970) and Baylor played at the Heart of Texas Coliseum at the fairgrounds (home of the rodeo etc.). The new facility looks similar in design. 

Heart O' Texas Coliseum 2 - Extraco Events Center - Wikipedia

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought that the new plan was to keep the Super Pit, but maybe doll it up a little more.  I do think that a parking garage hooked into the Pit would be a good idea.  It could be built in the area just east of the Pit where the flag poles are, etc.  Crossing the street from the old Fouts Field parking is not ideal.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

So many possibilities that I would be okay with but my one non-negotiable is that the student section needs to be moved to center court. I know some games are light on students (holiday break) but I’m okay with that over the boring, lifeless “loge”. 

Absolutely not. Unless they purchase the tickets then sure. Otherwise student section is top bowl and 5 sections behind one of the goals. 

• Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Absolutely not. Unless they purchase the tickets then sure. Otherwise student section is top bowl and 5 sections behind one of the goals. 

Duke has the best home court advantage in basketball and they have almost the entire lower bowl as student seating.  Basically only the first few of rows directly behind the team benches are not student seating.  Undergrads have the sidelines and grad students have the baselines.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

Crossing the street from the old Fouts Field parking is not ideal.

It is less of an issue when they don't close all the entrances that face Fouts parking.  The current two-season-long concourse construction/refresh at the Pit is taking longer than it took to build the entire Pit.  Still don't understand what is even being done at this point.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Sure.. let’s stick the students, usually the rowdiest group there, in a place where they offer no home court advantage. Great idea there. 

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drex said:

I thought that the new plan was to keep the Super Pit, but maybe doll it up a little more.  I do think that a parking garage hooked into the Pit would be a good idea.  It could be built in the area just east of the Pit where the flag poles are, etc.  Crossing the street from the old Fouts Field parking is not ideal.

A parking garage would be a good idea, for both the Pit and school, but they are very expensive to build compared to flat surface parking.  The Super Pit has lots of life left in it.  The main issue I've heard is that the Athletic Dept doesn't control use or scheduling of it.

• Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Sure.. let’s stick the students, usually the rowdiest group there, in a place where they offer no home court advantage. Great idea there. 

Why would there not be an advantage behind the basket? They literally get in free and can be behind the opposing teams basket for a half and near bench still. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Oh I see….. student should get in free and then sit in the prime seating. Your right….. your probably one of those new grads perhaps failed by the system. Your owed everything hm. 
students should also get free food and drink too 🙃

• Ray 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 7
  • Puking Eagle 1

33 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Why would there not be an advantage behind the basket? They literally get in free and can be behind the opposing teams basket for a half and near bench still. 

Bc there they only really affect one side of the court. If in the middle, they can set the tone for the whole arena. An arena that can be very apathetic, to put it nicely. 

33 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Oh I see….. student should get in free and then sit in the prime seating. Your right….. your probably one of those new grads perhaps failed by the system. Your owed everything hm. 
students should also get free food and drink too 🙃

Rather a student sit there free than a donor that pays and barely manages a golf clap. Build actual suites and stick those folks there. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yeah..  let's alienate an already terrible student section. That'll show em 

They literally get in free….. stop it. They can jump around behind the goal. I don’t mind a little standing or in close games at the end but I much prefer to sit and watch the game. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Bc there they only really affect one side of the court. If in the middle, they can set the tone for the whole arena. An arena that can be very apathetic, to put it nicely. 

Rather a student sit there free than a donor that pays and barely manages a golf clap. Build actual suites and stick those folks there. 

….. people come to watch a game. I wouldn’t want a bunch of people jumping up and down in front of me. I can be here and don’t even have to clap…. We show up to watch the game. Close end game scenarios are different sure. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

….. people come to watch a game. I wouldn’t want a bunch of people jumping up and down in front of me. I can be here and don’t even have to clap…. We show up to watch the game. Close end game scenarios are different sure. 

Attitude like that is why the pit has no energy outside of maybe a possession or 2. If you don’t think it matters to the players energy, then I’m here to tell you it absolutely does. 

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Attitude like that is why the pit has no energy outside of maybe a possession or 2. If you don’t think it matters to the players energy, then I’m here to tell you it absolutely does. 

People come to watch games. If they want to jump around the whole time then go join the cheer leaders….. little reason to get hyped until the game is over and we have won. 

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 8
  • Puking Eagle 1

37 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They literally do not. They literally pay more than any alum or fan to get in with their athletic fees. 

You are like 30, and your mind is that of a 75 year old. 

Where do legitimate basketball programs put their students? Answer: not in upper bowls. 

Well a simple search (plus having know people from other universities) would be they sit whine the goals and most of the pay for that….. or in football they pay (sometimes) more than I do for a club ticket at UNT and then sit in the nose bleeds….

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

45 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

They literally do not. They literally pay more than any alum or fan to get in with their athletic fees. 

You are like 30, and your mind is that of a 75 year old. 

Where do legitimate basketball programs put their students? Answer: not in upper bowls. 

Here is where a select few Duke students are allowed to sit. And yes many sit up top. 1,200 “crazies” sit in section 17.

-you can go get lost on Reddit to read all about the threads of where students sit at games and find almost none of them are anywhere outside of behind and to the sides of the goals. The rest up top. Many have to actually purchase tickets or enter a lotto. 

14D39103-53D4-46F8-8937-5F73FE97C8CA.webp.612c72db22ec34829575d973827081c2.webp

Edited by Andrew
  • Eye Roll 1

15 minutes ago, Andrew said:

People come to watch games. If they want to jump around the whole time then go join the cheer leaders….. little reason to get hyped until the game is over and we have won. 

Dude you’re such a miserable fan. Never did I say you have to be jumping up and down going crazy the whole game. But there is important game moments that happen other than just the end of the game. Go watch literally any of the top programs and see how their gameday atmosphere compares to ours. Night and day difference. 

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Here is where a select few Duke students are allowed to sit. And yes many sit up top. 1,200 “crazies” sit in section 17.

1200 students dead center court is more than enough seats for our program. Which was my point from the beginning. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Dude you’re such a miserable fan. Never did I say you have to be jumping up and down going crazy the whole game. But there is important game moments that happen other than just the end of the game. Go watch literally any of the top programs and see how their gameday atmosphere compares to ours. Night and day difference. 

1200 students dead center court is more than enough seats for our program. Which was my point from the beginning. 

They aren’t dead center…..

and sure going to games for 30 years and I’m a miserable fan…. Ok 🙃

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1