Does Rodgers have any legitimate offers?

Jonnyeagle

3 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Davis Webb 2017 3rd round

Kyle Boller 2003 1st round

That is 4 in the last 20 years compared to not having any players at any position drafted in the first 3 rounds since 1979. 

I'm sorry.  I should have clarified as to Cal QB's that have produced in the NFL.  Their "attractiveness" disappeared when Tedford left.

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I'm sorry.  I should have clarified as to Cal QB's that have produced in the NFL.  Their "attractiveness" disappeared when Tedford left.

Can’t produce if you never get the opportunity.  Still way more likely putting up numbers at Cal gets you drafted than North Texas.  Now if you believe you can put up Maxwell and/or Heisman consideration numbers with the returning offensive cast then a guy like Rogers has a hard decision.   But a lot of key players in this offense are leaving. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Meangreen Fight said:

Can’t produce if you never get the opportunity.  Still way more likely putting up numbers at Cal gets you drafted than North Texas.  Now if you believe you can put up Maxwell and/or Heisman consideration numbers with the returning offensive cast then a guy like Rogers has a hard decision.   But a lot of key players in this offense are leaving. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Boller was a failure.  He got the opportunity.  Webb?  No idea, kid played at Tech and then Cal.  Spent 7 years in the NFL racking up the following stats, 23-40 for 168 yards with 1 TD.

I see Rogers numbers going down at Cal with no guarantee to start.

• Eye Roll 2

10 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Boller was a failure.  He got the opportunity.  Webb?  No idea, kid played at Tech and then Cal.  Spent 7 years in the NFL racking up the following stats, 23-40 for 168 yards with 1 TD.

I see Rogers numbers going down at Cal with no guarantee to start.

None of their failures at the NFL level negate what @Meangreen Fight said.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

If you’re producing the NFL will find you. I think the P5 advantage is in play when you’re riding the bench, not producing, but you get to do workouts on a pro day that has many more scouts than you would see at a G5 pro day.

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

The scouts will find you if you are NFL worthy.

Both of these are valid points.  But getting drafted regardless of your production is going to more likely from Cal than UNT.    Now if he were going to P5 cannon fodder team like Northwestern, Purdue,  or Vandy I would be ticked off and question his decision.  Producing quality stats as starter for a mediocre P5 team is always going to more valuable to scouts than producing gaudy stats at a mediocre G5 program.   He could very well average 350 yards a game 70% completions, and 10-1 TD/INT ratio starting for UNT next  barely qualify for a bowl game.  I doubt that gets him first 3 round consideration.  But if does that for a mediocre bowl qualifying Cal team he probably does.

1. Academics on par with or better than UNT

2. More NIL money for same on field production

3. Better your chance of getting drafted

Also when I mentioned opportunity I meant opportunity to stay on a NFL roster a couple years to learn the system.  The less a NFL had to invest to get you the less likely they are to give you more time to learn.  

Edited by Meangreen Fight
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

8 hours ago, greenminer said:

If you’re producing the NFL will find you. I think the P5 advantage is in play when you’re riding the bench, not producing, but you get to do workouts on a pro day that has many more scouts than you would see at a G5 pro day.

I feel like QB is the one position that this is the exception. Getting drafted as a G5 QB is infinitely harder, even with the same stats. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, Green Otaku said:

I feel like QB is the one position that this is the exception. Getting drafted as a G5 QB is infinitely harder, even with the same stats. 

Getting drafted as a bench rider QB is almost impossible at any level

3 hours ago, scratch1976 said:

Did Roger's graduate from North Texas??

Seems to be the case

14 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Getting drafted as a bench rider QB is almost impossible at any level

definitely true

14 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Not in all cases and "NFL worthy" is a dumb construct.

Are you speaking from some personal experience, or maybe something you witnessed with a friend?

"not in all cases" alone isn't the strongest way to argue about the the decision of G5/P5 when it comes to NFL prospects.

in case in matters, I wasn't thinking about just the draft.  I would think if you impress enough on a pro day, someone will give you a chance, even if it's just a FA deal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2023 at 6:13 PM, Meangreen Fight said:

Both of these are valid points.  But getting drafted regardless of your production is going to more likely from Cal than UNT.    Now if he were going to P5 cannon fodder team like Northwestern, Purdue,  or Vandy I would be ticked off and question his decision.  Producing quality stats as starter for a mediocre P5 team is always going to more valuable to scouts than producing gaudy stats at a mediocre G5 program.   He could very well average 350 yards a game 70% completions, and 10-1 TD/INT ratio starting for UNT next  barely qualify for a bowl game.  I doubt that gets him first 3 round consideration.  But if does that for a mediocre bowl qualifying Cal team he probably does.

1. Academics on par with or better than UNT

2. More NIL money for same on field production

3. Better your chance of getting drafted

Also when I mentioned opportunity I meant opportunity to stay on a NFL roster a couple years to learn the system.  The less a NFL had to invest to get you the less likely they are to give you more time to learn.  

Cal is ranked the #1 Public University by USNWR.  Frankly when I see kids that choose a prestigous university over us I don't blame them.  Best case he gets in the NFL.  Worst case he ends up with a degree from Cal.  You can't argue that logic.  

For the record I use "prestigious" because I think the notion that the actual education is that much better is ridiculous.  That said a degree is part of your personal marketing and Cal is clearly better in that regard.   

• Upvote 6
  • Puking Eagle 1