Millwood Linebacker Micho Lavine Announces Decommitment from North Texas

TheReal_jayD

4 hours ago, keith said:

I did say we may never know the particular circumstances, but I don't think comparing the decisions of a 17/18 year old teenager to the decisions of adults who are professionals in the field and paid handsomely for their experience and expertise are quite the same.  Maybe the coaching staff should post a red puzzle piece every time they pull an offer and we can all speculate who it is and what they did.

So 17/18-year-olds can make NIL decisions and commit and decomit, but in your opinion, they should be able to do that since their only 17/18? These same 17/18-year-olds are talking about making "business" decisions. If they want to be a part of the "business" world then they should be just as accountable. 

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So 17/18-year-olds can make NIL decisions and commit and decomit, but in your opinion, they should be able to do that since their only 17/18? These same 17/18-year-olds are talking about making "business" decisions. If they want to be a part of the "business" world then they should be just as accountable. 

Not sure I'm following you.  We've heard on a few recent decommitments, that our coaching staff pulled the offer and I was commenting on that.  The impression given is that they really didn't "decommit," we did, so everything is OK.  Perhaps it happens all the time and we're just being more transparent about it, but it seems odd to me that our coaching staff whose job it is to evaluate talent felt strongly enough to offer a scholarship only to renege on that offer a few weeks/months later.  Did they re-evaluate and change their mind, did the recruit "do something," was the offer contingent on some obligation the recruit failed to live up to, etc.?  Like I said we will probably never know unless someone decides to share the details.

We've heard that relationships with HS coaches is important to the overall recruiting process.  I can't imaging that pulling a recruit's offer does much for that relationship unless the HS coach has been consulted and is in complete agreement.  This was another area that seems concerning if we are offering only to pull the offer at a later date.  Are we burning bridges?

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, keith said:

We've heard that relationships with HS coaches is important to the overall recruiting process.  I can't imaging that pulling a recruit's offer does much for that relationship unless the HS coach has been consulted and is in complete agreement.  This was another area that seems concerning if we are offering only to pull the offer at a later date.  Are we burning bridges?

Those are good points, and I agree it can be a slippery slope. I have seen HS coaches post messages about college coaches no longer being welcome because of how they handled the situation. I would guess a lot has to do with how each case is dealt with. But at the same time, to be the devil's advocate, if a player decommits from a school, should that school no longer recruit at that high school? I understand the coaches are looking out for their players, but things change, and hopefully, if both sides communicate, it can lessen the hard feelings.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, UNTLifer said:

Thanks.  Guess 247 lost interest.  I stand corrected.

Well you probably aren't wrong in your assessment as Butler is a JUCO

• Upvote 3

Simple! Coaches can change their minds too, it works both ways now; every year is going to be different, players can be cut without notice and players can transfer every year…buckle up, coaches better be on their game to keep the roster, add and delete every year! UNT better come up with a lot of money for NIL or we’re toast!

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 1