Ladies Basketball rocking tonite

Ross Hodgeson

What a lack of sportsmanship on the part of NT.  Set a scoring record against a totally outclassed lower division opponent.  

I was totally aboard with the hiring of Burton, but in my opinion this showed a definite lack of class.

Those that did not watch, Burton's brother was on the broadcast; so he definitely knows the situation and he stated Burton went into the game with the goal of sitting a meaningless scoring record.   

NT played starters most of the game and keep a pressing defense.  

If he keeps this up, NT is going to have a tough time finding weak ooc opponents.

The only justification for this strategy is to build interest in the program.  This may work until they quickly run into a better team.  This reminds me of Insell at MTSU, who used to and probably still does play his starters till the end of the game no matter what the score is.   

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 7
  • Downvote 3

Fun start to a new era but yeah I too felt there was some unnecessary running-up-of-the-score against a team that looked like a JV high school squad, and whose score was more competitive with its number of turnovers the whole night compared to our score (they ended up with 42 points, and 39 turnovers).

It will be more interesting to see how the ladies perform against a better team who forces them to have more thought-out possessions. UNT Dallas did end up making twice as many three's as we did since we were having no problem getting the ball inside for easy lay-ups and alley-oops.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2

8 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

What a lack of sportsmanship on the part of NT.  Set a scoring record against a totally outclassed lower division opponent.  

I was totally aboard with the hiring of Burton, but in my opinion this showed a definite lack of class.

Those that did not watch, Burton's brother was on the broadcast; so he definitely knows the situation and he stated Burton went into the game with the goal of sitting a meaningless scoring record.   

NT played starters most of the game and keep a pressing defense.  

If he keeps this up, NT is going to have a tough time finding weak ooc opponents.

The only justification for this strategy is to build interest in the program.  This may work until they quickly run into a better team.  This reminds me of Insell at MTSU, who used to and probably still does play his starters till the end of the game no matter what the score is.   

guess this is a good thing to bitch about. WBB looks infinitely better already and like that the coach keeps the focus and intensity. We should beat these teams badly. So why complain, guess we should give UNT-Dallas participation trophies so they feel better?

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

He played the entire roster and even though we set the record, there is a lot to clean up on the offensive end of the floor. Not a fan of running up the score, but Burton has stated we would be playing faster. Better to have these issues against a weaker opponent and have time to fix them prior to the meat of the schedule. 

• Upvote 3

Comments based on responses to my post about lack of sportsmanship.

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

He played the entire roster and even though we set the record, there is a lot to clean up on the offensive end of the floor. Not a fan of running up the score, but Burton has stated we would be playing faster. Better to have these issues against a weaker opponent and have time to fix them prior to the meat of the schedule. 

Did you watch the game, I only watched 3 quarters; but I did not see the end of NT's bench.; but I saw a lot of feeding the ball to Lambert which could not be stopped by this team.   

6 hours ago, outoftown said:

I guess it was a bit more understandable if it didn't happen to be a sister school. That speaks to a bit of tone deafness?

But beyond that it is of course much better to be in a position where you can name your score, than to have to eek it out in that kind of game.

Disagree, I don't see anything positive about scheduling and running up the score on a totally outclassed school.  Do you know that NAIA teams are limited to ten players on ship and the average ship only covers 20% of a full of school cost?  

I can't imagine a D! school of any type not being able to have a name the score game against this opponent. 

7 hours ago, untbowler said:

guess this is a good thing to bitch about. WBB looks infinitely better already and like that the coach keeps the focus and intensity. We should beat these teams badly. So why complain, guess we should give UNT-Dallas participation trophies so they feel better?

I give a lot more credit to UNT-Dallas for playing this game than UNT.  How do you know NT WBB looks infinitely better based on this game.  My bet is that last year's team could have run this team off the court in the same matter.  This game does absoluting nothing for a AAC team, other than provide fodder for questioning the HC's motives.    

I knew my post would draw some negative reactions, but I strongly differ from those that think that this is the way they want NT's program ran.

Burton is an inexperienced coach at this level, and I certainly hope he is greatly successful at NT; but imo this was a terrible start.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

• 1 month later...

For those, including myself, who thought we ran up the score on UNT Dallas, Grambling just set the record (141 points) for the largest margin of victory ever in a D-I women's basketball game.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39232423/grambling-women-beat-college-biblical-studies-159-18

The victim was a Houston-based Christian college of less than 500 students.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Matt from A700 said:

For those, including myself, who thought we ran up the score on UNT Dallas, Grambling just set the record (141 points) for the largest margin of victory ever in a D-I women's basketball game.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39232423/grambling-women-beat-college-biblical-studies-159-18

The victim was a Houston-based Christian college of less than 500 students.

well yeah, but we are UNT, worrying more about hurting feelings than winning big

• Pissed 1
  • Puking Eagle 1