ACC expansion now dead??

Dannymacfan

With Atlantic Coast Conference university leaders seemingly on the verge of deciding whether to expand with Stanford, California and SMU, two North Carolina trustees announced Thursday night that a “strong majority” of the board opposes to the move.

Read more: https://apnews.com/article/acc-conference-realignment-stanford-cal-smu-f922e32fdae61fb922b55c2df78bf2cd

• Pissed 2

It isn't dead (and I use that term respectfully) yet, although UNC it appears will definitely vote no.  No vote was taken due to a professor being shot to death on the UNC campus. It had been rumored that the one vote was found which would allow it to pass.  The Commissioner of the ACC had announced that another vote would not be taken unless he was sure that it would pass.  Rumor was that Clemson was the changed vote.  Until it actually happens though, it's just speculation.

The other members have a valid point about increased travel costs but that will be eased by Stanford and Cal taking just 30% each and SMU 0.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

I don't know that the ACC is looking for an additional member at this time.  Their next step is to try to get Notre Dame as a full member.  The Irish contract for football is up for renewal soon and from what I hear the future doesn't look quite as bright.  If the ACC is able to get ND football to join their other sports in the ACC, that would make the ACC a pretty solid conference provided they can keep what they have...especially the major seven of Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia and Virginia Tech.  The other five look solid.

45 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

I don't know that the ACC is looking for an additional member at this time.  Their next step is to try to get Notre Dame as a full member.  The Irish contract for football is up for renewal soon and from what I hear the future doesn't look quite as bright.  If the ACC is able to get ND football to join their other sports in the ACC, that would make the ACC a pretty solid conference provided they can keep what they have...especially the major seven of Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Virginia and Virginia Tech.  The other five look solid.

If ND ever decides to be a full member of a conference, it will almost certainly be the Big 10.  Unless the ACC somehow sweetens the pot for them (SMU: "I'll do it!  I'll do it!") in a way the Big 10 would be unwilling.