Season Tickets and good luck from Mean Green Baseball Project

Doug Rush

2 hours ago, Doug Rush said:

The Mean Green Baseball Project would like to wish the U.N.T. football team the best of luck this weekend in their season opener and also in their 2023 season.  In a show of support we have purchased 20 season tickets per home football game which we are donating to different kids groups each game.  The athletic department was very upfront with us when we met with them in that the football team does not get the support they need with season ticket sales and we are doing our part to help out.  

meangreenbaseball.com 

#Bring It Back!

Doug Rush

Mean Green Baseball Project President

That’s terrific Doug!  You guys have worked very hard for this.

• Upvote 7

Good on you Doug! Way to support athletics.

Don't tell my wife who may divorce me if there's was a summer sport in Denton she'd lose my attention to, but I'd love to see baseball come back. 

We met one of the old UNT baseball coaches on ticket pickup weekend a few weekends ago.  He seemed like a great guy!

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Upvote 4

I’ve known Doug for longer than we both want to admit and you won’t find a more stand up guy. He is a highly successful coach in Tomball that has created an annual power in 6A baseball. That doesn’t mean we’ve always seen eye to eye, but there isn’t a better person to lead this initiative. 
We are both from Denton and realize what a great baseball town Denton has always been and the level of talent in the area. If anyone will see this through, Doug is the person to do it. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

Great move, baseball.  Al Hurley was the president and Fred McCain was the athletic director when the team was cut as a varsity sport.  Hurley did not appreciate and help athletics much. It was primarily a Title IX compliance issue and men's soccer also took the hit ( now soccer is a women's sport, as you know).  Perhaps more could have been done, but Hurley had already relegated football down to 1-AA.  There was not much hope for income at the 1-AA level of football, so all suffered.

• Upvote 2
  • Pissed 1

1 hour ago, drex said:

Great move, baseball.  Al Hurley was the president and Fred McCain was the athletic director when the team was cut as a varsity sport.  Hurley did not appreciate and help athletics much. It was primarily a Title IX compliance issue and men's soccer also took the hit ( now soccer is a women's sport, as you know).  Perhaps more could have been done, but Hurley had already relegated football down to 1-AA.  There was not much hope for income at the 1-AA level of football, so all suffered.

Hurley was anti-Athletics at UNT.   He set us back 20-30 years at least.

• Upvote 2

On 8/30/2023 at 2:50 PM, UNTLifer said:

I’ve known Doug for longer than we both want to admit and you won’t find a more stand up guy. He is a highly successful coach in Tomball that has created an annual power in 6A baseball. That doesn’t mean we’ve always seen eye to eye, but there isn’t a better person to lead this initiative. 
We are both from Denton and realize what a great baseball town Denton has always been and the level of talent in the area. If anyone will see this through, Doug is the person to do it. 

Johnny.  Thanks for the way too kind words.  I am just the president because I have been the squeakiest wheel for the longest.  The real all stars are our former board members Curtis Clinesmith and Danny Suges who still do great things for us.  And current board members Kevin Mckinney, Brad Anderson, and Jim Chamblee.  They absolutely do the bulk of the work.  Stay tuned.  We are getting ready to add 2 new board members and they are both home runs.  That is in addition to Drew Bishop, who has just joined the board, played at U.T., coached for a long time at U.T. and is now very big at 5 tool baseball in the DFW area.  Check our website in about a month and you will see two very large boosters on our board along with some other absolute all-stars.  We are committed to helping football get their season tickets going and helping get the athletic center built and then it's our turn.  Thanks again.  

We would love to challenge alumni from other sports to step up and also buy 20 season tickets for this season.  There are only around 200 baseball alumni from the real good club teams in the late 70's until the  varsity program was dropped in 1988.  So, if we can do it imagine what former football, basketball, track and field, etc. alumni could do.  I would love to challenge football alumni from the the 60's to buy 20 and from the 70's to buy 20 and from 80-85 and from 85-90 and from 90-95 and from 95-2000 and from 2000-2005 and from 2005-2010 and from 2010-2015 and from 2015-2020.  Organize in groups of years and buy 20 season tickets.  That alone is another 200 season tickets.  And then every decade of basketball players can do the same.  Let's work together to get it rolling. If a bunch of old baseball guys who either played for free or nearly free can do it then surely all these alumni who were on full rides can band together and give back.  Can we turn our 20 season tickets into 500 season tickets?

meangreenbaseball.com

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1