Why is SDSU always mentioned as an expansion candidate?

San Diego is the 30th largest media market in the United States.  They usually have quality teams.  They want out of the Mountain West.

12 hours ago, ColoradoEagle said:

That kind of attendance the first game of the year would be embarrassing, even for SMU.

I don't think so.  SMU would report that as 35,000.

57 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

San Diego is the 30th largest media market in the United States.  They usually have quality teams.  They want out of the Mountain West.

I don't think so.  SMU would report that as 35,000.

Is this truly Jack the GrayEagle.?   LOL!   I've never in 52 years being around you heard you say anything that would even hint of being disparaging about S U.  Nothing--(as in nothing--EVER!  

See you this Saturday afternoon at fabulous DATCU Stadium!  

Go Mean Green!

Beat the CAL Bears !

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

You're probably right, Jim.  Two of my favorite players were Doak Walker and Dandy Don Meredith.  I became a Methodist when I married Jessica 66 years ago and attended regularly until her stroke and my two broken hips.  Several of my best friends are SMU graduates and I have a weekly breakfast with them.  My oldest daughter will retire from SMU next year.  She was a pharmacist.  So I've had a lot of reasons to think kindly of SMU.  Even the death penalty didn't disturb me terribly because I know A&M, Texas and others were just as guilty...they just didn't get caught (intentionally).

SMU treated us half-way decent until the last few years.  It used to be just the students but now I don't see their administration supporting us in any way.  I just had to get some of it out of my system.

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!

• Upvote 3

Crowd at San Diego State Home Opener A Bad Sign For Things To Come

"Snapdragon Stadium has a capacity of 35,000, making the 16.8K turnout less than half of what the stadium can hold. To make matters worse, SDSU has seen a decline in season ticket sales as well. Last year, SDSU sold 15,974 season tickets for Snapdragon’s debut season but had sold just 10,718 season tickets ahead of their home opener.

If this is a sign of things to come for San Diego State, they’d better find a way to make some changes, as their brand new stadium, which cost $310M to build, needs to be full as often as possible."

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2023/08/28/crowd-at-san-diego-state-home-opener-a-bad-sign-for-things-to-come/

7 hours ago, NT80 said:

Crowd at San Diego State Home Opener A Bad Sign For Things To Come

"Snapdragon Stadium has a capacity of 35,000, making the 16.8K turnout less than half of what the stadium can hold. To make matters worse, SDSU has seen a decline in season ticket sales as well. Last year, SDSU sold 15,974 season tickets for Snapdragon’s debut season but had sold just 10,718 season tickets ahead of their home opener.

If this is a sign of things to come for San Diego State, they’d better find a way to make some changes, as their brand new stadium, which cost $310M to build, needs to be full as often as possible."

https://www.heartlandcollegesports.com/2023/08/28/crowd-at-san-diego-state-home-opener-a-bad-sign-for-things-to-come/

From last year to this year, SDS lost more season tickets than we sell.  Let that sink in.  I wonder if that's a reflection of them flirting with the PAC-12 and not getting the invite.  The whole PAC eventually collapsed, but that was after SDS withdrew their notice of intention to leave the MWC.  The southern California market is a fickle one.  Football obviously drives the boat, but they bring a basketball team that made it to the finals last year and solid all-around olympic sports.  Their ~16,000 season tickets sold last year is almost 4x what we sell.  They have experienced a significant drop off this year, but have still sold almost 2.5x our numbers.  We have a long way to go on the season ticket front and are pretty much out of excuses for what it will take for significant improvement.    

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

From last year to this year, SDS lost more season tickets than we sell.  Let that sink in.  I wonder if that's a reflection of them flirting with the PAC-12 and not getting the invite.  The whole PAC eventually collapsed, but that was after SDS withdrew their notice of intention to leave the MWC.  The southern California market is a fickle one.  Football obviously drives the boat, but they bring a basketball team that made it to the finals last year and solid all-around olympic sports.  Their ~16,000 season tickets sold last year is almost 4x what we sell.  They have experienced a significant drop off this year, but have still sold almost 2.5x our numbers.  We have a long way to go on the season ticket front and are pretty much out of excuses for what it will take for significant improvement.    

They have more diehards than we do, but way less casuals. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keith said:

They still have 10,000 season ticket holders this season.  But with an actual attendance of only 16,000 last week, that says they don't get near the walkup crowd that we get.   Most of our crowd is walkups.   We would easily surpass 16,000 attendance on opening week with sunny 83 degree weather.

3 minutes ago, NT80 said:

They still have 10,000 season ticket holders this season.  But with an actual attendance of only 16,000 last week, that says they don't get near the walkup crowd that we get.   Most of our crowd is walkups.   We would easily surpass 16,000 attendance on opening week with sunny 83 degree weather.

We would sellout this particular opening week if it was 83 degrees. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We would sellout this particular opening week if it was 83 degrees. 

Just bought 4 tickets earlier and many sections show sold out. Several are nearly sold out. Today and tomorrow, GA tickets are $10 a pop. They're doing everything possible to sell out this first game.

• Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

55 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Just bought 4 tickets earlier and many sections show sold out. Several are nearly sold out. Today and tomorrow, GA tickets are $10 a pop. They're doing everything possible to sell out this first game.

Using both of my season tickets and bringing one more. 

• Upvote 2