Grant Gunnell Update

Ross Hodgeson

50 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Aune had plenty in game too. As did Gunnell at Arizona when he had a QB coach and wasn't hurt. The world doesn't start and stop with what happens at UNT.

Point being, their win percentages.  I wish him the best, just saying they can be Joe Montana in practice, doesn't guarantee success for the team.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

It seems both he and our coaches were ready for a fresh start.  Maybe it will do him good.  I wish him well.

Agreed. Maybe one day he can mentor kids and teach them about sticking through adversity instead of bailing every time your dad tells you to. (If that's true)

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

Aune had plenty in game too. As did Gunnell at Arizona when he had a QB coach and wasn't hurt. The world doesn't start and stop with what happens at UNT.

Gunnell's problems while here had zero to do with the QB coach (or lack thereof).
deewane-huye-paagal-sunil-shetty-langda.

He is going to look fantastic when he's dropping back easy in a pocket with no pressure.   He has an amazing arm.   Unfortunately, you have to be able to move around, quickly, when the lights are on.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Gunnell's problems while here had zero to do with the QB coach (or lack thereof).

He is going to look fantastic when he's dropping back easy in a pocket with no pressure.   He has an amazing arm.   Unfortunately, you have to be able to move around, quickly, when the lights are on.

I don't think he'll start the season but Shoemaker didn't do a whole lot in 9 games last year so unless he's greatly improved, we'll likely see what Gunnell has left in the tank sometime in the next few months.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He is nowhere near as disabled as the picture suggests.  He did wear a boot for six months or so but he should have rehabbed long ago.  That was when he was at Memphis.  When he graduated from high school he was among the best in the history of Texas quarterbacks.  I realize that a good quarterback coach wouldn't guarantee success but with good physical therapy and feet routine, he should have been much better.  He didn't seem to have the same throwing motion as he had at Memphis; let alone Arizona.  If he can now hit a dime, something improved him after he left here.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Grant is looking very effective against BYU right now. Seeing confidence and leadership from him. 

Honestly I wouldn't want to play Sam Houston right now. Their undersized defense is working over the P5 sized BYU team. 

There’s no stats on him?

35 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Grant is looking very effective against BYU right now. Seeing confidence and leadership from him. 

Honestly I wouldn't want to play Sam Houston right now. Their undersized defense is working over the P5 sized BYU team. 

6 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

LOL, foot in mouth. I've been watching it this whole time and didn't know it was Shoemaker. I guess it does help having names on jerseys.

SH's defense is still shredding BYU's

Yea I’d have been absolutely shocked to see Gunnell out there moving the ball on BYU.

Shoemaker is a much better QB than Gunnell.  He has been at Sam for while now and knows the system.  SHSU played tough against BYU, only lost 14-0.  And even though Shoemaker had 3 Int, they could beat Air Force this weekend in Houston.