Pac-2?

Arkstfan

6 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

This is the benefit of riding P5 coattails for decades. You build a local fanbase by consistently bringing in marquee opponents and occasionally beating them. If UNT spent the past 30 years in the Big 12, we'd have the same or better.

The reality is, more than half the Power conference schools are just G5 schools who were given opportunity. If there's any sport in the USA that needs equal media profit sharing across all members, it's the FBS. If they'd help the "smaller" programs develop, you'd have Oregon States everywhere. Instead, those fanbases will die off when the programs are inevitably cut off from the P2. An Oregon state fan will never be an Oregon fan. A Washington State fan will never be a Washington fan. The same goes for programs everywhere. The FBS is close to collapsing if those in charge keep letting media money decide the future of college sports.

So true!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, akriesman said:

Oregon State has come along way from those horrible teams of the 70's, 80's and 90's.  They were the one major program that the 1AA guys really had a chance to beat up on.

Correct me if I am wrong. But, I think we beat Oregon State the first year we moved up from 1AA (mid 90's).  We were terrible, but they were worse. I remember the game at Fouts.

30-27 UNT over OSU.  September 16, 1995.

They went 1-10, worse than our 2-9.

The fun thing about that year?  UNT had a local TV broadcast deal, with every away game on OTA.

Edited by TripleGrad
  • Upvote 3

This year Oregon State hosts UCLA, Washington, Stanford, and Utah. 

Washington State hosts Colorado, Stanford, Oregon State, and Arizona.

Cougars schedule this year is fairly close to what they likely get if the four stick together. Oregon State loses a top 15 opponent and two traditional opponents.

Selling tickets for UNLV or Rice or Utah State or Tulsa in lieu of UCLA, Washington, and Utah I suspect will be a challenge.

Character of fan base will emerge. Will they pout and stay home or flock in to support the team?

2 hours ago, TripleGrad said:

30-27 UNT over OSU.  September 16, 1995.

They went 1-10, worse than our 2-9.

The fun thing about that year?  UNT had a local TV broadcast deal, with every away game on OTA.

1995 was our return to 1-A football back then.   

Our toughest schedule ever....

The "Schedule from Hell"[edit]

Without any conference games to be tied to and no bowl game in the cards as a transitional Division I-A member, North Texas' athletic department opted to schedule multiple "Guarantee Games" to help improve the department's financial outlook moving forward as a full Division I-A member. The 1995 team thus played only three true home games in Denton. One other "home" game against Kansas, from the Big Eight Conference, was moved to the larger Texas Stadium in nearby Irving to help increase ticket sales with the expected influx of Jayhawks fans. The Mean Green played seven road games in all, with two against other Big Eight schools (Missouri and #10 Oklahoma), two against Southeastern Conference programs (LSU and Alabama), then-independent Louisville, future Big West Conference foe Nevada, and Big West member UNLV, who departed for the Western Athletic Conference in 1996.[1]

The lone reprieve in the scheduling gauntlet was a home game against Oregon State (from the Pacific-10 Conference), the first Division I-A game at Fouts Field since 1983. The Mean Green upset the favored Beavers 30-27, who went on to finish their season 1–10. North Texas' only other win on the year was against Division I-AA member Idaho State.

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

This year Oregon State hosts UCLA, Washington, Stanford, and Utah. 

Washington State hosts Colorado, Stanford, Oregon State, and Arizona.

Cougars schedule this year is fairly close to what they likely get if the four stick together. Oregon State loses a top 15 opponent and two traditional opponents.

Selling tickets for UNLV or Rice or Utah State or Tulsa in lieu of UCLA, Washington, and Utah I suspect will be a challenge.

Character of fan base will emerge. Will they pout and stay home or flock in to support the team?

Oregon State would lose three top 25 teams, two who travel extremely well. 

Washington State loses…..eh, not much.

And to your other point BSU would be a WAY bigger addition than WSU. It’s not even close. 

Cal and Stanford seem to inch closer to departure, leaving WSU and Oregon State as the Pac-2

That would leave the Pac-12 with just two schools: WSU and Oregon State, the odd ones out in the conference’s mass exodus.

WSU will wait to issue a statement until the departing schools share the news themselves, per a team spokesman.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2023/aug/23/cal-and-stanford-set-to-depart-the-pac-12-per-repo/