The 2023/24 UNT Basketball Transfer/Recruiting Tracker

On 4/18/2023 at 4:59 PM, Andrew said:

Twitter 🤮

Hot take but Twitter is garbage lol. Maybe I’m just too old for that nonsense 🤣

Bored Season 3 GIF by The Office
You act like you’re 80! Twitter, while toxic, is a great way to expand fan growth and create a better brand for NT. GMG does not do that, they get more through Twitter!!!

Edited by NorthTexasSportsNetwork
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, cousin oliver said:

Yes it was but he is only a junior.

On 5/5/2023 at 11:09 AM, Green Otaku said:

Yes, but he's a junior in HS. He won't be on campus until the 2024-25 season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to update @Green Otaku's list:

Expected to return:

Rubin Jones

Aaron Scott

Moulaye Sissoko

Matthew Stone

Christian Moore

Arsh Mattu

Grayson Allo

Chrisdon Morgan (All indications from Ross say he's staying)

Transfers Signed:

Robert Allen - F/C - Ole Miss - 1 year Left

John Buggs III - G - nUTSAck - 2 years left

JuCo Signed:

Jason Edwards - G - Dodge City CC - 3 years left

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Wanted to update @Green Otaku's list:

Expected to return:

Rubin Jones

Aaron Scott

Moulaye Sissoko

Matthew Stone

Christian Moore

Arsh Mattu

Grayson Allo

Chrisdon Morgan (All indications from Ross say he's staying)

Transfers Signed:

Robert Allen - F/C - Ole Miss - 1 year Left

John Buggs III - G - nUTSAck - 2 years left

JuCo Signed:

Jason Edwards - G - Dodge City CC - 3 years left

Let’s not forget Alex Cotton from

Hwbron HS.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, BleedingGreen said:

Let’s not forget Alex Cotton from

Hwbron HS.

Correct. Although with the current roster I suspect he'll have limited playing time and/or redshirt next season.

But who knows, he was a baller in high school and has good size so he might see some minutes early on.

4 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Correct. Although with the current roster I suspect he'll have limited playing time and/or redshirt next season.

But who knows, he was a baller in high school and has good size so he might see some minutes early on.

Two of those are walk ons…

15 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We need some size inside.

it could be a luxury, but I don't really think we "need" any more size than what is already on the roster.

looking across our AAC foes and really the entire college basketball landscape, save for maybe the absolute elite programs most everyone is running out at least 3 if not 4 guards around a "center" who really is more of a classic power forward.

my assumption on the starting line-up, at least early on, next season:

1. Rubin Jones - 6'5" 190
2. John Buggs III - 6'3" 185
3. Matt Stone - 6'4" 205
4. Aaron Scott - 6'7" 200 (that feels small...he at least plays bigger)
5. Moulaye Sissoko - 6'9" 240

that's plenty of size across the whole floor, especially the way they team defend and team rebound. I anticipate we'll still use a pretty tight 8 man rotation...Allen the Ole Miss transfer is 6'8" 230 and will likely be the primary 4/5 back-up...if Morgan gets his line up to something like 2ppg, 2rpg in 20 appearances, I'll call it a win...Edwards I'm assuming will be the primary bench scorer with Moore growing into a contributing role throughout the season. no clue on Cotton.

with all that in place, my priority with the open spots would be an upgrade to Stone at the 3...an experienced tough 6'5"-ish guard who rebounds and shoots 35%+ from 3 and can play some PF in a small line-up. maybe then a wirey 6'7"-ish high school kid...raw with some upside...I think we're looking for one more immediate contributor and an upside project with the final scholarships

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

it could be a luxury, but I don't really think we "need" any more size than what is already on the roster.

looking across our AAC foes and really the entire college basketball landscape, save for maybe the absolute elite programs most everyone is running out at least 3 if not 4 guards around a "center" who really is more of a classic power forward.

3. Matt Stone - 6'4" 205

that's plenty of size across the whole floor, especially the way they team defend and team rebound. I anticipate we'll still use a pretty tight 8 man rotation...Allen the Ole Miss transfer is 6'8" 230 and will likely be the primary 4/5 back-up...if Morgan gets his line up to something like 2ppg, 2rpg in 20 appearances, I'll call it a win...Edwards I'm assuming will be the primary bench scorer with Moore growing into a contributing role throughout the season. no clue on Cotton.

with all that in place, my priority with the open spots would be an upgrade to Stone at the 3...an experienced tough 6'5"-ish guard who rebounds and shoots 35%+ from 3 and can play some PF in a small line-up. maybe then a wirey 6'7"-ish high school kid...raw with some upside...I think we're looking for one more immediate contributor and an upside project with the final scholarships

There are a lot of folks who can't adapt to how the game has changed over the years.  These are old dudes who grew up watching Shaq and/or Kareem dominate down low.

It's all about shooting and perimeter defense (especially with Hodge running the show) now.   There is so much speed & athleticism in today's game that when a big gets the ball down low, they're peppered by collapsing help defenders coming in from all kinds of different angles around the perimeter simply looking to poke the ball away for a turnover.  That is, if they can even get the ball fed to them in a place to work with how good/quick our perimeter hands are.

The game has changed.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

There are a lot of folks who can't adapt to how the game has changed over the years.  These are old dudes who grew up watching Shaq and/or Kareem dominate down low.

It's all about shooting and perimeter defense (especially with Hodge running the show) now.   There is so much speed & athleticism in today's game that when a big gets the ball down low, they're peppered by collapsing help defenders coming in from all kinds of different angles around the perimeter simply looking to poke the ball away for a turnover.  That is, if they can even get the ball fed to them in a place to work with how good/quick our perimeter hands are.

The game has changed.

oh for sure. I think Aaron Scott is a great example...15-20 years ago he's pretty much just a SF on a mid-upper tier college basketball team...now he's squarely a PF and I could see him playing some 5 this season. 

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The game has changed.

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

oh for sure. I think Aaron Scott is a great example...15-20 years ago he's pretty much just a SF on a mid-upper tier college basketball team...now he's squarely a PF and I could see him playing some 5 this season. 

Hell look at our conference mates that just made the Final Four. Everybody loves to talk about Goldin at 7'1"(and no doubt he helped them) but look at their entire starting lineup for the tournament:

Boyd - 6'3

Davis - 6'4

Greenlee - 6'0

Martin - 6'2

Goldin - 7'1

That lineup is smaller overall than CBL's projected starting 5. When the system is good, and the players execute it well, size isn't nearly as important.

58 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Hell look at our conference mates that just made the Final Four. Everybody loves to talk about Goldin at 7'1"(and no doubt he helped them) but look at their entire starting lineup for the tournament:

Boyd - 6'3

Davis - 6'4

Greenlee - 6'0

Martin - 6'2

Goldin - 7'1

That lineup is smaller overall than CBL's projected starting 5. When the system is good, and the players execute it well, size isn't nearly as important.

They aren't the only ones that made deep runs with smallish lineups either.

SDSU CCG: 6'10", 6'7", 6'4", 6'2", 5'10".

Miami Final 4: 6'7", 6'7", 6'5", 6'4", 6'0".

K-State Elite 8: 6'10", 6'6", 6'3", 6'2", 5'8".

Texas Elite 8: 6'8", 6'7", 6'6", 6'2", 6'0".

Houston Sweet 16: 6'8", 6'7", 6'5", 6'2", 6'1".

None of the lineups above have more height top to bottom than the tentative lineup @Censored by Laurie suggested further up. Some may have a taller forward or a taller guard but overall, the size we should have on the court this upcoming season is competitive with all of those lineups above.

• Lovely Take 2

On 5/23/2023 at 8:57 AM, Censored by Laurie said:

3. Matt Stone - 6'4" 205

Edwards will start over Stone. 

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, BleedingGreen said:

Edwards will start over Stone. 

maybe? I mean, I think Edwards is better than Stone, but...and I can never seem to reiterate this enough...you don't always start your five best players. not sure why that seems so hard to grasp for some. 

• Upvote 2