VIEW FROM THE EAST: NORTH TEXAS The new American

Jonnyeagle

As I earlier stated, i am anxious to be corrected.  I don’t recall that moniker but I must have read it.  And forgotten it.  I apologize.  Joe (Holland, not Greene).

46 minutes ago, meangreenbob said:

What I noticed about the picture. It looks like a good crowd. Did we draw better back then? 
Also, was it homecoming or was it just fashionable to dress up for games back then. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, greenjoe said:

As I earlier stated, i am anxious to be corrected.  I don’t recall that moniker but I must have read it.  And forgotten it.  I apologize.  Joe (Holland, not Greene).

I can dig up those emails and re-read how Galloway typed about it, but honestly I don't think It's a big deal.

What's important here, IMO, is that he we - our defense - were called Mean Green first, and Joe was not "Mean" until the Pitt media applied it upon drafting him.

There’s the story of a middle-school nemesis named “Sleepy,” who once stole the five dollars Greene’s mother had left on the television set to pay the insurance fees her son needed to play on the school’s football team.

“I popped him, knocked him down,” Greene said. “That ended it. He didn’t bother me anymore, and no one else did it. I ended up playing catch-up. I guess I caught him. So I ended up having the reputation as a bully for a while.”

There’s the reputation that girls from his hometown of Temple, Texas, brought along to North Texas in 1966, when Greene joined the football team as an imposing defensive lineman.

“They knew me,” Greene said, “and their explanation of Joe was, ‘Oh, he’s a real nice guy, but he’s mean.’ ”

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/mean-green-mean-joe-green-nickname-origins  

Edited by NT80

On 2/7/2023 at 3:34 PM, meangreenbob said:

What I noticed about the . It looks like a good crowd. Did we draw better back then? 
Also, was it homecoming or was it just fashionable to dress up for games back then. 

Yes, it was common in those days to wear a necktie to a game, especially at the eastern schools.  “Guys in ties, girls in pearls” as we used to say in Virginia. 

• Upvote 3

On 2/8/2023 at 3:47 PM, letsgiveacheer said:

Yes, it was common in those days to wear a necktie to a game, especially at the eastern schools.  “Guys in ties, girls in pearls” as we used to say in Virginia. 

Dressing up for games is still common for students at SEC schools.

"During college football season, many people who live below the Mason-Dixon line go to church twice a week — once on Sundays for regular church, and once on Saturdays for the game. Football at the 14 universities that comprise the Southeastern Conference is, for many, a religious experience, to be regarded as and dressed for as such."

https://www.cnn.com/2014/12/05/living/irpt-sec-football-fashion/index.html

https://www.racked.com/2016/9/22/12920270/sec-football-dress-female-fans

• Upvote 2