Phil Bennett on 365 Today (12-16)

El Paso Eagle

• El Paso Eagle changed the title to Phil Bennett on 365 Today (12-16)
13 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

I know some were critical of him, but I'm going to miss this man (assuming he doesn't get convinced to stay, which seems highly unlikely). This man is a treasure.

Absolutely.  He’s got a lot of love for the game and its players in his heart and you have to prioritize that number one.  Secondly, he’s been able to find a way to be an effective DC on plenty of staffs that prioritize a lack of time of possession.  He’s DC’d a TON of plays knowing he’s going to give up points but he adjusted to the wide open game.  He’s taken plenty of darts for that, some deserved but he’s always been brave and owned that stuff.  I’ll miss him as our DC.  Part of it is his talent in coaching, but to be honest another part of it is about the passing of time and an end of another era of a truly magical unicorn.

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

Absolutely.  He’s got a lot of love for the game and its players in his heart and you have to prioritize that number one.  Secondly, he’s been able to find a way to be an effective DC on plenty of staffs that prioritize a lack of time of possession.  He’s DC’d a TON of plays knowing he’s going to give up points but he adjusted to the wide open game.  He’s taken plenty of darts for that, some deserved but he’s always been brave and owned that stuff.  I’ll miss him as our DC.  Part of it is his talent in coaching, but to be honest another part of it is about the passing of time and an end of another era of a truly magical unicorn.

Very well said. I am going to miss him myself. This interview reinforced the type of man he is. Can't teach that stuff.

• Upvote 3

Phil is exactly who he is…an old school guy, no BS, fun to know, probably a terror to play for!  But he will forever be remembered for turning boys into men and making his players better.  He’s not the greatest defensive mind, but he has survived an ugly business for 4+ decades and that’s not easy!  Much respect.  I hope our kids are able to carry him off the field a winner…he has earned it!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Oh man did I enjoy this interview. Phil is a character and we will miss seeing him on the sideline. The story about his brother Jerry and Mike Leach was great. I have known Jerry since I was a little kid. I was cracking up, because Jerry has always coached with passion like Phil. 

• Upvote 1