Defensive Observations, X's and O's

UNT86

Solid observations UNT86 - boils down to Bennett and co are putting our personnel in better places based on skill set like Faulkner is slow so move him, etc. The stunt comment I agree with you as I beat we don’t much practice it or our o-line is washing it out too ha.  Thanks for the good review! 
Now this week we need to figure out how to heat Harris up and get him uncomfortable as we won’t have the weather to help us out! 

• Upvote 3

Good stuff @UNT86!

I’ll add another possibility for point #4.

I wonder if it’s not so much “LBs running into fat guys”, but our DLs getting pushed into the gaps the LBs are assigned to hit.  

Just basing it off of Gush’s body of work & how he understands PB’s defense better than anyone, VS Passwaters’ “experience”.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

When our LBs stunt, it is almost always a B gap stunt.  We rarely, if ever, stunt an outside LB.  I don't remember the last time we brought the Eagle on an edge stunt.  We don't cross our DL either.  Even when we make a 4 man front with the Devil, we don't cross our DL.  They just try to whip the guy in front of them.

My thoughts are that the pressure by the LB is intended to occupy a guard so he cannot help on the nose or end.  Mostly however, the QB sees the pressure and dumps the ball where the LB voided.

Anyway, those are my observations.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

It also looked like we put #25 Thomas-Faulkner in as the Mike last week and ran a version of Tampa 2 where the Mike has some deep middle responsibility.  He didn't really get as deep as most do when they run that, so I may be mistaken, but it sure looked like it.  That was a first for us too.

Edited by UNT86
  • Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

When our LBs stunt, it is almost always a B gap stunt.  We rarely, if ever, stunt an outside LB.  I don't remember the last time we brought the Eagle on an edge stunt.  We don't cross our DL either.  Even when we make a 4 man front with the Devil, we don't cross our DL.  They just try to whip the guy in front of them.

My thoughts are that the pressure by the LB is intended to occupy a guard so he cannot help on the nose or end.  Mostly however, the QB sees the pressure and dumps the ball where the LB voided.

Anyway, those are my observations.

You have a future as an analyst my friend. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1