🔴🟡 USC As An Independent? “All options are on the table with Trojans future.”

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Was tailgating a thing back when Ol' J.C. was President?

No. It was not allowed. I have followed UNT football since my freshman year of 1961 and don't remember seeing tailgating at our stadium until the turn of the century. One thing that sticks in my mind is we had a basketball coach in the early 60's whose name was Johnson[I think]. At any rate we were in the MVC when it was really great, and won very few games. Johnson was hung in effigy outside the English building. I was surprised that anyone cared. By the by, we played in the Men's gym and had an all conference player named John Savage, who has to be one of our all time greats.

1 hour ago, wardly said:

No. It was not allowed. I have followed UNT football since my freshman year of 1961 and don't remember seeing tailgating at our stadium until the turn of the century. One thing that sticks in my mind is we had a basketball coach in the early 60's whose name was Johnson[I think]. At any rate we were in the MVC when it was really great, and won very few games. Johnson was hung in effigy outside the English building. I was surprised that anyone cared. By the by, we played in the Men's gym and had an all conference player named John Savage, who has to be one of our all time greats.

My question is not related to North Texas, but college football in general.  How long has tailgating been a tradition in college football?  I know many credit Rutgers/Princeton in the late 1800's, but when did it become as big as it is now on college campuses everywhere?

Edited by UNTLifer