Mean Green MOVIEOLA: Check Out This DVD!

Recent additions to my DVD collection are Captain & Commander-Far Side of the World, The Road to Perdition, and Big Fish.    Even my neighbors line up to borrow one!

smile.gif

You mean MASTER and Commander..not Captain and Commander. smile.gif

RTP is among my all-time favorites. It just got me to me on a level that most movies don't. Both tragic mob revenge story and a heartwarming father/son tale. I loved the way it walked that line. The cinematography is brilliant. Sadly it was Conrad Hall's last film. One of the truly great cinematographers of movie history(3 Oscars).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You mean MASTER and Commander..not Captain and Commander. smile.gif

RTP is among my all-time favorites. It just got me to me on a level that most movies don't. Both tragic mob revenge story and a heartwarming father/son tale. I loved the way it walked that line. The cinematography is brilliant. Sadly it was Conrad Hall's last film. One of the truly great cinematographers of movie history(3 Oscars).

Master and Commander is a great movie! Bought the DVD the first day it became available.

Russell Crowe almost has a Richard Burton'esque air about him. Anyone else notice that? I work with a a striking young English girl here at the college and she agreed with me on the R. Burton part.

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

I'm a long time lurker, 1st time poster. I just had to share my favorite movies with ya'll. These didn't win any awards or were even heard of by most of the public.

"Evil Roy Slade" was a made-for-TV comedy-western starring John Astin who as an orphan in the wild west, raised himself because nobody wanted him. Not even the Indians or wolves. So as a result, he became the meanest outlaw in the west spreading havoc and terror, robbing banks, trains and stagecoaches. Then one day he meets Betsy Potter, winner of the Miss Frontier contest. He sets out to change his ways for her and make an honest living in "sissy town" Boston. But he reverts back to his old ways and returns to the west where his arch nemesis Nelson L Stool (Mickey Rooney) is waiting for him with one of the greatest lawman of all time, singing Marshall Bing Bell (Dick Shawn). This movie has so many one-liners and sight gags that it will keep you laughing.

"Legend of Boggy Creek" is the other movie I like more for sentimental reasons then anything else. It scared me when I first saw it at age 10 because it said it was a "true story" and they even used real residents of Fouke, Arkansas to play themselves in the movie. The movie is about a bigfoot type creature that lurks about the bottom lands near Fouke, Arkansas. It likes to prowl around homes and barns, causing terror to the locals. It always had an uncanny knack for picking houses where only women were home. Watching this movie as an adult, it's so bad that it's great to make fun of it. Sort of a "Say-it-yourself Mystery Science 3000 Theater" type of movie.

OK i was standing in the check out line and low and behold there was a DVD of Red Dawn...I had to get it...those of us that grew up in the 80's remember this one...WOLVERINES!!!!!!

I watched it this weekend after I heard about the death of President Regan. Brought back alot of memories about the 80's. By far not a perfect move...but reminded me alot of the Cold War.

Ted

Watched the DVD "Monster" a few days ago. This movie which produced the Best Actress award at the most recent Academy Awards. Cristina Ricci did a good job of acting as well in this movie. (Does that girl have the biggest roundest eyes in the history of Hollywood or what)?

Talk about a dark, spooky, "female" serial killer of a movie. though, taken from the true story of a woman in Florida who did all those killings of all those men? WHOA!

That movie should do for men thinking about fooling around on their spouse or girlfriend what Jaws did for those who never made the decision to never got back in the ocean for a swim. blink.gif

Is this the thread to share such great movie titles as Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness?

Oh yes, the great Bruce Campbell in those flicks. smile.gif

Fellow movie buffs listen to me: Go to Blockbusters and rent "Mystic River" today. Unbelievable great movie with an unbelievable all star cast.

Watched it last night as I was listening to more rain fall here in Parker County with a lake forming outside my house. May not make it to work today as a result of white water rushing past my place down to a pond about 25 yards in front of my house that was full from last week's rain. FFR, I may be giving your collegues a call soon. sad.gif

They moved the US release date for that thing so many times, it's hysterical. Interestingly it has been seen elsewhere- and in film festivals. I'm not sure it'll ever be released in domestic theatres. It'd probably be easier to get a copy off of ebay.

Edited by CMJ

I don't know, I liked Tears of the Sun at least as much as Black Hawk Down, if not more. That isn't to say I didn't like BHD though, so I'm not gonna rip it any.

There was one part I thought was way too hokey, at the end when he is being helped into the refugee area, the native that spoke english (the one with the daughter) stopped him and had all these sentimental lines. I can't say what they were because I scanned through it. Here is a dude that just got out of battle seconds earlier, can't walk on his own, half his face is burned, he needs medical attention, and he is gonna stop and talk for a couple of minutes with someone with whom he has had minimal contact with? Way too hokey. But I didn't get too annoyed by it because I hit scan the second I realized what was going on. I'm sure crap stuff like that drives people like you insane CMJ, but hey, that's why I have the >> button right?

And yeah, PMG, she was pretty hot. If she had got a pistol and picked off a few rebels, I would have fallen in love. biggrin.gif

Edited by KPFC Sports Dept.

I didn't find TOTS *bad*, but it wasn't very memorable. I saw it the first time around a year or so ago I guess - and have spent very little time reflecting on it. It's come on STARZ and it's affiliates numerous occasions, and I've watched a few minutes here and there, but it just doesn't hold my interest.

Like I said, not a waste of time in the sense that Battlefield Earth (or name your bomb) is, but in some ways worse because with the truly bad ones, they're seared into your memory. This one just isn't.

I don't know, I liked Tears of the Sun at least as much as Black Hawk Down, if not more.  That isn't to say I didn't like BHD though, so I'm not gonna rip it any.

There was one part I thought was way too hokey, at the end when he is being helped into the refugee area, the native that spoke english (the one with the daughter) stopped him and had all these sentimental lines.  I can't say what they were because I scanned through it.  Here is a dude that just got out of battle seconds earlier, can't walk on his own, half his face is burned, he needs medical attention, and he is gonna stop and talk for a couple of minutes with someone with whom he has had minimal contact with?  Way too hokey.  But I didn't get too annoyed by it because I hit scan the second I realized what was going on.  I'm sure crap stuff like that drives people like you insane CMJ, but hey, that's why I have the >> button right?

And yeah, PMG, she was pretty hot.  If she had got a pistol and picked off a few rebels, I would have fallen in love.   biggrin.gif

Just one more cleavage shot of Monica B. and I'd needed a respirator. rolleyes.gif

I like both movies to be honest.

<>*<> On a much more serious note, CMJ, are you going to try to get out to the Ronald Reagan Library anytime soon? How far is it from where you live in Hollywood?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

EMPIRE RECORDS - mid 90s movie with Renee Zellwegger and Liv Tyler (schwing schwing) It's a movie about a record store. Awesome soundtrack and extremely funny, not near as serious as TOTS or BHD, but a great flick!

I just watched "Shattered Glass", the flick about the author that made up his stories while he was a writer for The Republic, supprisingly good, and not long at all. I would recommend that.

hmm, just looking through the names of DVD's on the shelf...

American Beauty - Very good dark comedy.

Back to the Future trilogy - No explanation needed. biggrin.gif

Count of Monte Cristo - Not exactly true to the book, but still a very well made and entertaining movie.

Glory - My favorite movie of all time. (Civil War epic)

Gladiator - I'm sure everyone's seen this...

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels - Guy Ritchie's first major film; it's very much like, and about as good as, Snatch.

As far as in the theaters, A Day Without a Mexican is a pretty good movie, outside of the bad soap opera-ish scene, and a couple spots of preaching.

For movie soundtracks, I just listen to XM27 Cinemagic. biggrin.gif