I got the opportunity to go see Mel Gibson's new movie "The Passion of the Christ" last night and it was absolutely amazing. I encourage all of you to go see this movie. To me, it was not overhyped. It is violent and I wouldn't suggest taking small children because it is very realistic. If you have seen the movie let me know what you think of it.

I got the opportunity to go see Mel Gibson's new movie "The Passion of the Christ" last night and it was absolutely amazing.  I encourage all of you to go see this movie.  To me, it was not overhyped.  It is violent and I wouldn't suggest taking small children because it is very realistic.  If you have seen the movie let me know what you think of it.

I plan on seeing it this weekend. Thanks for the review!

We reallly need an off topic board.

Looks like his free marketing worked.

Seriously though...I don't think Mel Gibson was trying to get any free advertising. I have to hand it to Mel...this is truly a pet project and I don't think he's intentionally trying to cash in on the Gospels.

If you read up on the background on this film...you'll see that he put up all the money to make this money b/c no studio would back him. More than $30 million on a film that he didn't even know would ever make it to the screen. He had to set up his own distribution as well since no distribution company would take on such a controversial film.

I haven't seen this film, yet...but from what I hear, it is a masterpiece made by a man who is a believer and has his heart in the right place.

I plan on going to see it even though I don't want to support Mel. The idea that somebody would make money of the gospel makes me sick, and the fact he is getting free marketing through churches makes me even more sick, but It seems as I will still buy into it.

Don't want to support Mel!!?!? I don't believe this movie was made for the money. It is probably the first movie about the death of Christ that doesn't water things down so it can appeal to the masses. No, this was made so that both Christians and non-Christians can see just what the Son of God went through for you and me. It's a movie, it costs $6 to go, I would never expect hollywood to make it free just because someone might accuse them of trying to make a buck.

I plan on going to see it even though I don't want to support Mel. The idea that somebody would make money of the gospel makes me sick, and the fact he is getting free marketing through churches makes me even more sick, but It seems as I will still buy into it.

So I'm sure Christian singers, bands, songwriters, etc... make you sick as well? They make money and they get free advertising in churches.

What about preachers and church staff? They work for churches and make money.

So I'm sure Christian singers, bands, songwriters, etc... make you sick as well? They make money and they get free advertising in churches.

What about preachers and church staff? They work for churches and make money.

Yes and no, the Christian music industry makes me sick too as well as the "Christian trinketindustry", i.e. fake holy water, picture frames, paintings of Christ, etc . However I believe pastors should be paid so they can spend all their time preparing to teach the church and counceling members. The job of pastor can not be done adequatly while working a job, so I have no problem with this. Christ destroyed the temple for people trying to make a buck on his name.

I saw this movie opening night and I must say that Mel Gibson did the most absolute and wonderful job. This entire movie is just great. From the casting to directing and just the way the movie was presented, with flashbacks and all is just perfect. It is so real and yes very violent, but that is the way it was....he didn't glam it up or make it "all Hollywood." You feel so very sorry for Jesus and Mary. It will pull you in and take you back, you will relive Christ's last moments. I was exhausted after the movie...I cried the entire time...but it just gets you that involved. Definitely take some tissue with you!

I saw the movie tonight, and I would like to second everything bleedingreen said (except I didn't cry, but the females around me cried the whole time).

I usually recommend saving money and waiting for a movie to go to video, that it doesn't make a difference, but if you only go to see one movie in the theater your whole life, make it this one. It's that excellent and moving.

Edited by IronMan4

I saw the movie yesterday. It is difficult to put in to words the emotions I felt. I did go in to the movie looking for signs of anti-semitism and excessive violence, and personally didn't feel like I experienced either.

Regarding the claims of anti-semitism, if you don't know the story beforehand, you would never know the crowd of people calling for His execution were Jewish. Even knowing this, I didn't feel anger towards them. I tried to put myself in their place and time, and found that I, ashamedly, could have acted just the same. Then again, knowing the story, I fully understand that all of us are responsible for His crucifixion and that this act and His resurrection are the basis of my faith in Christianity.

The violence is not gratuitous, but factual in historical content. Roman floggings were brutal and excessive, thus the scenes of His flogging and crucifixion, while difficult to watch, were true. I applaud Mr. Gibson for showing each of us what occurred, and not taking the easy way out and just focusing on His resurrection.

This movie was an awesome experience that is thought provoking and painful to watch, but is the ultimate love story of a man that gave His life for each of us.