16 team Mountain West Conference

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

For all of y'all saying, "we have 3 other Texas Schools in C-USA!!", would you consider THIS scenario a good move to go West?

Think about it when our game against San Francisco tips off at 9 PM this evening.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

Think about it when our game against San Francisco tips off at 9 PM this evening.

When that game is against San Diego State instead of a 6:00pm tip @ UNC-Charlotte, I'm all for it.  

Now, let's take a closer look at what a 16-team (including NT/Rice/UTSA/UTEP) MWC schedule would look like for football:

4 home games, 4 away games in conference play would mean 1 (JUST ONE) game against a West Coast opponent.  That game would be at home every other year.   So there is a possibility that we would have ZERO games starting after 7:00pm.
Taking a look at CSU's (a team we would likely align with) home schedule, several of their home games began in the early afternoons Mountain Time.  Same with Wyoming.  Same with Air Force & New Mexico.   Those would likely be the 4 teams that would align with this Texas block of schools.   Of course, this is all fan fiction.

The worry about game times beginning at 9:00PM may only affect 1 or 2 games per year.   MAYBE.   It's also entirely possible we'd never see a game later than 7:00pm.
Worrying about a 9:00pm start time is just not worth hanging around in C-USA, which is constantly talked-about being merged with SBC.   If the opportunity ever arises, WB had better take it.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When that game is against San Diego State instead of a 6:00pm tip @ UNC-Charlotte, I'm all for it.  

Now, let's take a closer look at what a 16-team (including NT/Rice/UTSA/UTEP) MWC schedule would look like for football:

4 home games, 4 away games in conference play would mean 1 (JUST ONE) game against a West Coast opponent.  That game would be at home every other year.   So there is a possibility that we would have ZERO games starting after 7:00pm.
Taking a look at CSU's (a team we would likely align with) home schedule, several of their home games began in the early afternoons Mountain Time.  Same with Wyoming.  Same with Air Force & New Mexico.   Those would likely be the 4 teams that would align with this Texas block of schools.   Of course, this is all fan fiction.

The worry about game times beginning at 9:00PM may only affect 1 or 2 games per year.   MAYBE.   It's also entirely possible we'd never see a game later than 7:00pm.
Worrying about a 9:00pm start time is just not worth hanging around in C-USA, which is constantly talked-about being merged with SBC.   If the opportunity ever arises, WB had better take it.

In football, yes but for basketball and all the other sports a 8 or 9 PM tipoff is still quite possible.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

In football, yes but for basketball and all the other sports a 8 or 9 PM tipoff is still quite possible.

.... not at home, where people actually attend games.  

And let's face it, I bet more people would travel to a UNT/UNLV away basketball game, or a UNT/Hawaii away game than a UNT/Old Dominion game.   

As for the "other sports"...  How many of you were watching (could you?) or listening (could you?) to ladies soccer or V-ball away games?   

However, the step up in conference prestige/competition would do nothing but help NT athletics become more visible Nationally, which is what we as a fan base should want over convenience.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

And let's face it, I bet more people would travel to a UNT/UNLV away basketball game, or a UNT/Hawaii away game than a UNT/Old Dominion game.   

As for the "other sports"...  How many of you were watching (could you?) or listening (could you?) to ladies soccer or V-ball away games?   

However, the step up in conference prestige/competition would do nothing but help NT athletics become more visible Nationally, which is what we as a fan base should want over convenience.

I doubt the traveling numbers would be affected that much. The fan base that travels to away games is actually pretty small. When it comes to people listening/watching the three main sports for away games, it's more of a big deal with the later tip times. How many people on this message board are actually going to tune into the game tonight starting at 9:00 PM against San Francisco in the CBI tournament.

I don't know what the "digital" package is like for the Mountain West but most of the CUSA schools have some sort of a broadcast for volleyball, soccer, baseball, and softball through CUSA TV.

I can't imagine SDSU fans being excited about a 5:00 PM weekday start time for their away basketball games in TX.

The only thing that would make a move to the Mountain West palatable would be some TX schools to come with us. At least then the Mountain West could return to its WAC roots and span three time zones again (before it imploded).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTFan23 said:

I doubt the traveling numbers would be affected that much. The fan base that travels to away games is actually pretty small. When it comes to people listening/watching the three main sports for away games, it's more of a big deal with the later tip times. How many people on this message board are actually going to tune into the game tonight starting at 9:00 PM against San Francisco in the CBI tournament.

I don't know what the "digital" package is like for the Mountain West but most of the CUSA schools have some sort of a broadcast for volleyball, soccer, baseball, and softball through CUSA TV.

I can't imagine SDSU fans being excited about a 5:00 PM weekday start time for their away basketball games in TX.

The only thing that would make a move to the Mountain West palatable would be some TX schools to come with us. At least then the Mountain West could return to its WAC roots and span three time zones again (before it imploded).

As good as MT/WKU were this year, they were never ranked.   The MWC had their champ finish in the top 25 & 3 of their top 4 teams get into the NCAA tourney.   C-USA was a 1-bid league... because of perception.   If we want to be the best, we need to join the best.  And in order to join the best, we have to work our way up.   Some of that journey may take us West, but it will be worth it in the end if we continue to show how serious we are about it.   It would be fantastic to be able to join those Big 12 leftovers once UT/OU jump ship.

• Lovely Take 1

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

As good as MT/WKU were this year, they were never ranked.   The MWC had their champ finish in the top 25 & 3 of their top 4 teams get into the NCAA tourney.   C-USA was a 1-bid league... because of perception.   If we want to be the best, we need to join the best.  And in order to join the best, we have to work our way up.   Some of that journey may take us West, but it will be worth it in the end if we continue to show how serious we are about it.   It would be fantastic to be able to join those Big 12 leftovers once UT/OU jump ship.

https://www.midmajormadness.com/2018/2/19/17028846/ap-poll-ranking-middle-tennessee-state-blue-raiders-kermit-davis-nick-king

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

If the suggested alignment were to come to fruition, we would be in a division where schools would be either in the Central or Mountain Time Zone.  Games in the Pacific would be the exception.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

How fun would it be to see Boise St. come to Apogee?! It would be great to see Gonzaga (once they join) or UNLV at the Super Pit! There are more relevant teams, that I as a fan, would love for North Texas to get an opportunity to play against in the MWC. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

It's not all about what you are listening to, but the media coverage.  When our games end at 11pm/midnight, we won't have coverage in the local media.  This especially holds true with football because Sundays are all about the Cowboys.

Now, would I consider this with four teams from Texas in a MWC Eastern Division?  Absolutely.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

It's not all about what you are listening to, but the media coverage.  When our games end at 11pm/midnight, we won't have coverage in the local media.  This especially holds true with football because Sundays are all about the Cowboys.

Now, would I consider this with four teams from Texas in a MWC Eastern Division?  Absolutely.

I mean, it's not like we've never seen this work before.   TCU rode the MWC, and its late games all the way to the big 12.   How did they get enough media coverage to do that?    They won against superior MWC teams... getting them national media attention... forcing the local media coverage.  What local media wants to get out-covered by USAToday?   

NT could do the same now that we're getting serious.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Salsa_Verde said:

Is the biggest complaint about potentially joining the MWC, is that the games start too late? 

Pretty much and the lack of Texas rivals as well.  If they were able to do a division where we had other Texas or close by teams in it like Rice, La. Tech, UTSA etc it would be more doable to me.

41 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Is the biggest complaint about potentially joining the MWC, is that the games start too late? 

I agree.... that is a big problem with sports networks and even newscasts.... those games are still going one when they take place... Unless they are afternoon games ... no one hears/sees the results nationally and maybe not in Texas.  Even too late for most  Texas newspaper deadlines. 

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

6 minutes ago, SCREAMING EAGLE-66 said:

I agree.... that is a big problem with sports networks and even newscasts.... those games are still going one when they take place... Unless they are afternoon games ... no one hears/sees the results nationally and maybe not in Texas.  Even too late for newspaper deadlines. 

Aw shucks, that's too bad.   
NT coverage in a physical newspaper would look really nice next to advertisements for Depends, hearing aids, and walk-in bathtubs.

Meanwhile, MWC champions will continue to get WAAAAAY more love from the likes of ESPN & other sports news outlets online, in real-time, than C-USA champs.   It's just the way it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Aw shucks, that's too bad.   
NT coverage in a physical newspaper would look really nice next to advertisements for Depends, hearing aids, and walk-in bathtubs.

Meanwhile, MWC champions will continue to get WAAAAAY more love from the likes of ESPN & other sports news outlets online, in real-time, than C-USA champs.   It's just the way it is.

Without looking it up, who was the football MWC champion this past season? I sure don't. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1