What Southern Miss Fans Are Saying About UNT

AustinFromUNT

7 minutes ago, chrisfisher said:

Had we beat Iowa, they would be concerned with us... Instead, UTSA beat Baylor...I'd be more concerned too with UTSA if I was USM based on those outcomes. 

I'd be more concerned with the high-powered offense rolling into town THIS WEEK if I were them.   
Maybe that's just how we roll here on GMG.com?   Our threads last week were about UAB... not looking forward to USM. 
For those of you who check opponents' message boards, is this common (outside of Iowa & other P5 teams) when UNT plays other teams?

11 minutes ago, keith said:

Why do we always feel compelled to explain away or come up with some excuse for our wins?  I just don't get it.  We have got to be the most neurotic fan base in college football.  Isn't it possible that we were simply the better team on the field that day or doesn't that ever enter the equation?  

Here's a clue.  Here is a comprehensive list of all current FBS programs against whom UNT has a winning record:

Team   Wins Losses
Louisiville   10 7
Cincinnati 9 7
Northern Illinois 1 0
Ball State   2 0
Fresno State 2 0
Colorado State 2 1
Texas State 29 7
New Mexico State 22 9
Idaho   6 4
Louisiana Lafayette 9 8
UTEP   14 8
Middle Tennessee 8 7

Let's face it -- it's been a few decades since wins weren't generally a result of a lucky bounce. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 3

There is no game on our schedule where we don't have a good chance to win. This team has bought in and believes in themselves and it was apparent when we played Iowa. I said this before the SMU game and I'll say it again as a challenge to this team. You want attention and more fans at games? Then you go out there and win games that you're not "expected" to win. 

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, keith said:

Why do we always feel compelled to explain away or come up with some excuse for our wins?  I just don't get it.  We have got to be the most neurotic fan base in college football.  Isn't it possible that we were simply the better team on the field that day or doesn't that ever enter the equation?  

Because we won that game out of luck.. just like how UAB stuck around with us because of a few bad plays.. 

Fine wasn't half the QB last year, he is this year.. Morris was maybe half of Fine.. Wilson, Guyton, Lawrence are huge + from the group last year that had a true FR PWO start over Goree suspension.. we won that game because of turnovers, which were thrown from a true fr QB like fine.. 

Us thinking the outcome would have been the same if they had their All-Conferece QB makes no sense. I hope the offense can keep up what it's doing, and the defense can step up to be just a middle of the road CUSA defense.. Special Teams will be critical 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

52 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Because we won that game out of luck.. just like how UAB stuck around with us because of a few bad plays.. 

Fine wasn't half the QB last year, he is this year.. Morris was maybe half of Fine.. Wilson, Guyton, Lawrence are huge + from the group last year that had a true FR PWO start over Goree suspension.. we won that game because of turnovers, which were thrown from a true fr QB like fine.. 

Us thinking the outcome would have been the same if they had their All-Conferece QB makes no sense. I hope the offense can keep up what it's doing, and the defense can step up to be just a middle of the road CUSA defense.. Special Teams will be critical 

I get it.  When we win, it's just dumb luck or the football gods chose to smile on UNT for once.  When we lose, the other team has better athletes, better coaches or is just a "year ahead" of us.  Last time I checked turnovers are part of the game as are injuries, backup players, bad officiating, weather and funky bounces of the ball.  Our backup QB was better than their backup QB that game. In other words, we had more depth at a critical position than USM did.  That usually makes one team better than the other not luckier.  Our backup RB was just as productive as their starting RB.  Morris also threw an INT and we lost 2 of our three fumbles.  USM lost 1 fumble, so it's not like we dominated the turnover battle.  We scored more points, we won. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

48 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Sorry, but this is such B.S.  How about preparation putting us in the position to win that game?  Turnovers happen in every game.  UAB wasn't in Saturday's game because of luck.  They were in the game because they took advantage of what our defense gave them, which was way too much.

Luck?

Hail Mary

Multiple laterals to win a game

Those I would consider lucky.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

7 hours ago, keith said:

I get it.  When we win, it's just dumb luck or the football gods chose to smile on UNT for once.  When we lose, the other team has better athletes, better coaches or is just a "year ahead" of us.  Last time I checked turnovers are part of the game as are injuries, backup players, bad officiating, weather and funky bounces of the ball.  Our backup QB was better than their backup QB that game. In other words, we had more depth at a critical position than USM did.  That usually makes one team better than the other not luckier.  Our backup RB was just as productive as their starting RB.  Morris also threw an INT and we lost 2 of our three fumbles.  USM lost 1 fumble, so it's not like we dominated the turnover battle.  We scored more points, we won. 

Yes we won, but we are not entitled to anything this year from last year...

Yes our back up was better than back up.. a 5th year senior compared to a true-freshman in his 3rd career start.. Yes they had the same amount of starting experience but a guy in year 5 should be A LOT better... their RB still had one hell of a game, even without a passing game.. The USM QB threw 3 INT (2 which i recall ended up with UNT getting the ball inside their 40).. We won by 6 points, it should have been a lot more

8 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Sorry, but this is such B.S.  How about preparation putting us in the position to win that game?  Turnovers happen in every game.  UAB wasn't in Saturday's game because of luck.  They were in the game because they took advantage of what our defense gave them, which was way too much.

Luck?

Hail Mary

Multiple laterals to win a game

Those I would consider lucky.

We should have won that game by a lot more than 6 points.. When you get multiple turnovers that end up with you inside there 30/40 you need to win by more than 6 vs a 3rd string true freshman..  

• Downvote 7

I am surprised their qb is 3rd string, he could deliver the ball to the receivers and could take a hit because he was hit hard a few times.  We were up 30-17 at the half we should have kept going but we seem to not adjust very well in the second halves of games. When we had our HOD under mac we were the strong second half team.  It seems everyone figures out at half time. A win is a win and that is why the football game is played.  UAB is going to beat some teams in CUSA.  Our secondary has to improve fast or maybe we need to look at zone defense.  To many receivers are getting wide open on the secondary.

Ivery had 111 yards rushing and Morris tossed 2 TDs. We took advantage of them being down a QB and turning the ball over. Whatever the opponent wants to give us should be taken advantage of. That's how this game works. I'm sure USM wants that game back but they won't get it because it is already in our Win column. I'll gladly be lucky than good. 

• Lovely Take 1

It's always interesting to me to read opponent's message boards.  I don't recall ever reading one where they had any trepidation whatsoever about playing us.  

Come to our message board, and it's a completely different story.  

I'm underwhelmed at the most acidic insults toward us being "Community College of Denton" and "another weak Sunbelt team this week."

They don't teach trolling in Hattiesburg do they?