The Good Stuff

AustinFromUNT

Started reading some posts after the game and it seems everyone is (understandably) sad and some are (insanely) saying Mason Fine is the reason we lost tonight. So here is the good news:

SMU is the 2nd toughest team we play this season, only behind Iowa.

UTSA did beat Baylor, but so did Liberty, so good for the conference, but not all that impressive.

Rice is terrible and they still squashed UTEP so I move those into an even more secure win category.

LA Tech is actual trash this season it appears.

Southern Miss is still experimenting at QB

UAB was less competitive against a Ball State team that is much worse than SMU.

ODU only put up 17 points against a terrible UMass team.

FAU is now 0-2 in the Lane Kiffin era

We are averaging 45.5 points per game

Mason now has 6 TDs & 2 INTs in 2 games whereas last year he has 6 TDs and 5 INTs in 10 games.

Mason has thrown for 648 yards in 2 games, which is almost half as many as he put up in 10 games last season.

Mason is currently 47/68 which gives him an average completion rate of 69.1%.

Bryce English should be back by the UAB game which should significantly help us get pressure on the QB.

The sky is not actually falling.

I still say we go 8-5.

• Upvote 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

4 minutes ago, GRN-WHT said:

I'm waiting for a time when somebody can post a thread saying there's hope because of how good we are instead of saying there's hope because of how crappy everybody else is. 

If Mason Fine can continue his average YPG he would have around 4000 at the end of the season, so there is that.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

La Tech is not trash. They started reeling in tonights game vs an SEC opponent tonight and couldn't on the spot patch it up vs better players.

SMU is not the 2nd best team we play this season. 

And all of your Mason Fine stats is a bunch of hot garbage. 200 yards tonight came in garbage time vs back ups (See: MTSU 2016), as did 2 TD's. 

FAU played 2 good programs. 

UTSA, defensively, is going to bounce our heads off the sidewalk. 

That terrible Rice team you speak of, it took us 2 OT's to beat them. 

That terrible UTEP team you speak of, kicked us in the throat last year. 

IF we play like we did tonight, and SMU does NOT have a good defense and their league will expose that, we will have some serious issues this season. 

But, yeah, hopefully English is back for UAB. 

1 minute ago, AustinFromUNT said:

If Mason Fine can continue his average YPG he would have around 4000 at the end of the season, so there is that.

Stahp. lol

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Started reading some posts after the game and it seems everyone is (understandably) sad and some are (insanely) saying Mason Fine is the reason we lost tonight. So here is the good news:

UTSA did beat Baylor, but so did Liberty, so good for the conference, but not all that impressive.

Rice is terrible and they still squashed UTEP so I move those into an even more secure win category.

Mason now has 6 TDs & 2 INTs in 2 games whereas last year he has 6 TDs and 5 INTs in 10 games.

Mason has thrown for 648 yards in 2 games, which is almost half as many as he put up in 10 games last season.

Bryce English should be back by the UAB game which should significantly help us get pressure on the QB.

I still say we go 8-5.

5 of his 6 TDs have come in garbage time.

In order for him to be good he needs great protection. 

Against pressure he's just not that good bc he can't see. 

He's a good kid, but he won't get us to 8 wins without an OL that all conf players on it. 

What has he done against the blitz? Against pressure? What are his numbers when the game is close? Give me stats that actually matter. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

La Tech is not trash. They started reeling in tonights game vs an SEC opponent tonight and couldn't on the spot patch it up vs better players.

SMU is not the 2nd best team we play this season. 

And all of your Mason Fine stats is a bunch of hot garbage. 200 yards tonight came in garbage time vs back ups (See: MTSU 2016), as did 2 TD's. 

FAU played 2 good programs. 

UTSA, defensively, is going to bounce our heads off the sidewalk. 

That terrible Rice team you speak of, it took us 2 OT's to beat them. 

That terrible UTEP team you speak of, kicked us in the throat last year. 

IF we play like we did tonight, and SMU does NOT have a good defense and their league will expose that, we will have some serious issues this season. 

But, yeah, hopefully English is back for UAB. 

Stahp. lol

I agree with some of your points.  However, Fine had a good game, did you want him to not perform against anyone but the first team.    He made some very good plays against the first teamers.  I think a much better point is that SMU played to stop the run foremost and opened up the passing game.   

Also I would not put a lot of stock into last years results.  

I am not sure that SMU is the second best team NT will play, but I wager they will be one of the best.   

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

I agree with some of your points.  However, Fine had a good game, did you want him to not perform against anyone but the first team.    He made some very good plays against the first teamers.  I think a much better point is that SMU played to stop the run foremost and opened up the passing game.   

Also I would not put a lot of stock into last years results.  

I am not sure that SMU is the second best team NT will play, but I wager they will be one of the best.   

Not sure how you are wording this, but I would want him to perform vs ONLY the 1st team or not at all. That would mean we are in a competitive game or the game is in hand and he's sitting on the bench. SMU played to stop the run, yes. There was a TON of lost opportunity tonight due to just that. A lot of this is not on him though, it's on whoever it is calling the plays. They give him comfort routes and he throws it to them because that's his comfort zone. It's not a knock on him at all, but it's what he chooses to do with the ball because it's comfortable for him. Something needs to be done to nix these from his every drop back. It's great to have them, but having 4 wide and 3 of them are running some variety of a check down route, that's an issue. 

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I still say we go 8-5.

Good shit Austin 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1