DRC: Echols-Luper transferring, has interest in UNT

Brett Vito

6 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

If someone wants to make me emperor, I'd take pot off the schedule of drugs or move it to the lowest classification.

When the current law was adopted, President Nixon appointed a panel of doctors and scientist to determine where it should be classified. They split. Half said at the lowest level, half said it shouldn't be federally regulated at all. Politics being politics, President Nixon had it classified as the most dangerous of drugs.

I find some amusement that the people most opposed to legalization are people who generally utter words like "states rights" well more than half the states have sent DC a message, we want to regulate this just as we have a constitutionally protected right to regulate alcohol.

I was Mr. Skeptic and long felt this was something we should do greater research on before making a decision. Then the study comes out showing that states that have permitted sales have seen small dips in prescriptions for anxiety medication, depression medications, and large decreases in prescriptions for opioids. That tells me people are using it as a substitute for medication in addition to the recreational use we all know is taking place under the guise of medical.

That also signaled to me that there would be a strong fight to do anything because there is a lot of money on the table to be lost.

I know a guy who lives in a non-medical state whose wife was severely injured in an accident, spent a long-time in a coma and had serious cognitive issues. He is talking to her neurologist months later as her recovery had slowed and the neurologist said, if you believe in prayer, pray, but if it were my wife, I'd also find a pot dealer.

He eventually did. Tremors were reduced, anxiety attacks decreased, memory improved. She is now back working a professional job and smokes about a joint over the course of a week.

I've no interest or desire in smoking dope. I rarely drink and avoid medication as much as I can, but if the early studies related to Alzheimer's continue to support slowing of symptoms and used early enough even reversing some symptoms for a time, I'll rethink my position based on watching my mother's decline. My ultra conservative father saw such a report on Fox News and told me if he had known earlier he would have tried to find a way to get it for it (way too late now). 

We vacation quite a bit in Colorado. I read a report about a park that is just covered in trash and homeless people swarm it smoking pot. I drove past it and all I saw was pre-school age kids and their mothers in the park and it sure looked clean (maybe the horror is away from the highway). While we were in Breckenridge last trip the local paper said that some of the ski communities that banned sales locally out of fear of losing tourists have seen their tourist numbers be flat or decrease while the communities allowing it have seen growth. They now are viewing it as just another amenity to offer.

Reality is no member of Congress wants to go on the record reducing pot from the most dangerous drug to something you could buy by presenting ID even though most states have already voted to do so.

One thing I would do differently though, is ban the sale to anyone under 25 unless medically approved because the worst impact seems to be on people under 25. Odd as it seems it may be beneficial to developed brains in some cases but the evidence regarding people with developing brains seems much more negative.

best post I've seen in a long time on the issue 

On 7/9/2017 at 11:32 AM, Arkstfan said:

If someone wants to make me emperor, I'd take pot off the schedule of drugs or move it to the lowest classification.

When the current law was adopted, President Nixon appointed a panel of doctors and scientist to determine where it should be classified. They split. Half said at the lowest level, half said it shouldn't be federally regulated at all. Politics being politics, President Nixon had it classified as the most dangerous of drugs.

I find some amusement that the people most opposed to legalization are people who generally utter words like "states rights" well more than half the states have sent DC a message, we want to regulate this just as we have a constitutionally protected right to regulate alcohol.

I was Mr. Skeptic and long felt this was something we should do greater research on before making a decision. Then the study comes out showing that states that have permitted sales have seen small dips in prescriptions for anxiety medication, depression medications, and large decreases in prescriptions for opioids. That tells me people are using it as a substitute for medication in addition to the recreational use we all know is taking place under the guise of medical.

That also signaled to me that there would be a strong fight to do anything because there is a lot of money on the table to be lost.

I know a guy who lives in a non-medical state whose wife was severely injured in an accident, spent a long-time in a coma and had serious cognitive issues. He is talking to her neurologist months later as her recovery had slowed and the neurologist said, if you believe in prayer, pray, but if it were my wife, I'd also find a pot dealer.

He eventually did. Tremors were reduced, anxiety attacks decreased, memory improved. She is now back working a professional job and smokes about a joint over the course of a week.

I've no interest or desire in smoking dope. I rarely drink and avoid medication as much as I can, but if the early studies related to Alzheimer's continue to support slowing of symptoms and used early enough even reversing some symptoms for a time, I'll rethink my position based on watching my mother's decline. My ultra conservative father saw such a report on Fox News and told me if he had known earlier he would have tried to find a way to get it for it (way too late now). 

We vacation quite a bit in Colorado. I read a report about a park that is just covered in trash and homeless people swarm it smoking pot. I drove past it and all I saw was pre-school age kids and their mothers in the park and it sure looked clean (maybe the horror is away from the highway). While we were in Breckenridge last trip the local paper said that some of the ski communities that banned sales locally out of fear of losing tourists have seen their tourist numbers be flat or decrease while the communities allowing it have seen growth. They now are viewing it as just another amenity to offer.

Reality is no member of Congress wants to go on the record reducing pot from the most dangerous drug to something you could buy by presenting ID even though most states have already voted to do so.

One thing I would do differently though, is ban the sale to anyone under 25 unless medically approved because the worst impact seems to be on people under 25. Odd as it seems it may be beneficial to developed brains in some cases but the evidence regarding people with developing brains seems much more negative.

Except that it was in 1937, under FDR, that the U.S. brought the federal clamps down on pot for good with the Marihuana Tax Act.  Fellow Democrat Harry Truman sugned into law the first mandatory sentencing for drug offenses with the Boggs Act in 1952. 

I know that people erroneously like to blame Nixon for a plethora of things.  But, pot restrictions?  Please do better research.  Restrictions on pot began well over 50 years before Nixon set foot in the Oval Office.  Nixon simply centralized several bu

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Except that it was in 1937, under FDR, that the U.S. brought the federal clamps down on pot for good with the Marihuana Tax Act.  Fellow Democrat Harry Truman sugned into law the first mandatory sentencing for drug offenses with the Boggs Act in 1952. 

I know that people erroneously like to blame Nixon for a plethora of things.  But, pot restrictions?  Please do better research.  Restrictions on pot began well over 50 years before Nixon set foot in the Oval Office.  Nixon simply centralized several bu

That was the FIRST regulation of pot, at the urging of the head of the Prohibition Office because they were about to be out of work with the repeal. Sent letters to a group of doctors asking about the dangers of pot. Only one deemed it dangerous and that's the only letter that got put before Congress. Also there was a murder in Florida by a young man who had been diagnosed with schizophrenia that was attributed to him using pot rather than being schizophrenic.

BUT please do your own research. When the controlled substances act was adopted Nixon did in fact appoint a commission and they did in fact split between the lowest schedule and no regulation and he ignored their findings.

• Upvote 3

Keep dreaming.  Pot has been a federal no-no since 1937 under FDR, and given mandatory sentencing under Truman.  No president between Truman and Nixon legalized pot.

Further, whatever studies have been done, no president since Nixon has bothered to take the federal laws off of pot either, not even known dope smokers Clinton, Bush II, and Obama.

So....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Back on topic. Blake Anderson was asked about Echols-Luper on radio Friday. 

"he may go play for someone else, if anyone chooses to take him"

In your opinion could the kid help UNT? I think he could even if only in return game.

15 hours ago, GMG24 said:

In your opinion could the kid help UNT? I think he could even if only in return game.

Help? Yeah he's not a complete eff up. If he had a better football IQ, he probably would still be at TCU. Amazing amount of talent but I don't for a minute think a dinky pot arrest is why he was kicked off at AState.

He either didn't do his punishment, didn't do it in a timely manner, or didn't show that he felt bad about the perception he created about his team. One of those is almost certainly involved. Question really is, did he learn from getting booted. That's a call the coaches have to make.

16 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

Help? Yeah he's not a complete eff up. If he had a better football IQ, he probably would still be at TCU. Amazing amount of talent but I don't for a minute think a dinky pot arrest is why he was kicked off at AState.

He either didn't do his punishment, didn't do it in a timely manner, or didn't show that he felt bad about the perception he created about his team. One of those is almost certainly involved. Question really is, did he learn from getting booted. That's a call the coaches have to make.

Just curious, how's your squad looking this year?

You got a tough start out of the gate. If our AD did that this board would meltdown. 

Edit- Just saw the UM game is at home. Big difference than those two on the road. 

Edited by meanrob
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, meanrob said:

Just curious, how's your squad looking this year?

You got a tough start out of the gate. If our AD did that this board would meltdown. 

Edit- Just saw the UM game is at home. Big difference than those two on the road. 

If I could flip any two games, I'd flip Nebraska and Miami. I think the Canes are easily top 25 maybe top 15. If Kaaya hadn't gone NFL top 10, maybe top 4.

I'd really rather go to Miami and host Nebraska.

We lost 12 starters including most the OLine but physically we are MUCH better at OLine this year.

Last year we were unsettled at QB so I think we could be better. Hansen went 8-2 as the starter and Rowlett, TX QB Logan Bonner will push Hansen.

• Upvote 1

On 7/9/2017 at 1:58 PM, UNTLifer said:

My point is that it is considered illegal and he chose to break the law.  This isn't about legalizing pot.  Somebody else turned the discussion that direction.

Appealing to Authority is a logical fallacy and really shouldn't be used to prove any kind of point.  Which is kind of my point... that a bad law is a bad law and this is a poor reason to withhold a kid from being on our team.  There could be a million other reasons not to, but being caught with weed shouldn't be one of them.

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This has nothing to do with the actual student athlete being a good fit for UNT (which he may or may not be), but because there were a lot of people advocating legalisation in this thread, and I feel I cannot just let that go without giving some sort of comment.

Two years ago I slightly changed my professional field: Instead of studying the impact of domestic violence on the maternal brain and biology, I started professionally studying the brain of patients with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. One substudy included comparing patients who do use cannabis vs patients who dont. This has led to me changing my opinion on legalisation: Before I was for legalisation, now I am against it at least unless it comes with tons of sidelaws restricting it again (and I don't see that happening to the extent it would likely be needed). This is particularly true for many of the synthetic cannabis kinds (k2 etc) which are healthwise the worst. The data has no smoking gun yet, but it reeally really strongly points toward cannabis use pushing people who might otherwise not have gotten a disorder into developing schizophrenia or bipolar disorder provided they already have a genetic predisposition (which most people do not). Most people may never feel any bad side effects like that, but it has to be said that alcohol or smoking induced mental diseases take longer to develop their bad mental health effects usually are barely visible before people hit their 40ies for alcohol and smoking, even if the mental health effects of alcohol affect a potentially higher percentage of users in the long term. The problem is teenagers and young folks usually have no clue if they have such a predisposition and tend not to be adequately aware of this kind of risk. When they think of risk they think of getting caught, of doing something stupid, or maybe of memory loss, however it is particularly during the late teens and early twenties that people usually develop schizophrenia and bipolar disroder. T The emotional and financial cost of these disorders is high to all: the patients themselves, to their families and to society overall. In short, if there is a group who really shouldn't be using it, it is high school and college kids.

The other part is that if cannabis were to be legalised, it would have to be with really strict control on THC values (which should be low), with increased canabidiol. I don't really see that happening. Some stuff people can buy in Colorado shops for example, has little to do with what my grandparents would have grown, it is too tooo halucinogenic and less full of the helpful parts, because those are actually not so "fun".

Edited by outoftown

4 hours ago, Harry said:

Can't you find an Arkansas QB and leave ours alone?

Well the bigger question is why can't you find a QB in Texas. Bonner was offered by UTSA and USM but not UNT.

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

And, Justice Hansen is from Oklahoma.  Guess they can't!  :-)

We had Fredi Knighten. Came off the bench to win the GoDaddy Bowl as a sophomore and was named game MVP in 2013 after a 55 yard TD drive in the final 1:25 and had Mizzou on the ropes in 2015 until he was injured.

Since 2005 our starting QBs have been Utah, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, California, Arkansas, Louisiana, Tennessee, Oklahoma (the second Louisiana only started because of injury and transferred later).

• Upvote 1