UTSA hires former Bama assistant

Harry

New UTSA defensive line coach Bo Davis is no stranger to success. He helped put together some of the strongest, most dominant defensive line units in the country during his time at Alabama. How he put those units together is a question at this point. 

Davis resigned from Alabama last spring under curious circumstances. Davis was shown the door at Bama allegedly because of recruiting violations. Davis' lack of cooperation with the school sped up his ouster. 

24/7 rated Davis as the number one recruiter in the SEC and number two recruiter nationally. Davis was investigated by the NCAA, however the investigation has not reached a resolution. His hiring at UTSA is a little surprising given that fact. Davis spent last season in NCAA limbo, waiting on something to come of the investigation. So he took a job driving a truck, making $18 an hour and waited. He's still waiting. 

The allegations stem from Davis' contact with recruits outside NCAA mandated time frames. Not exactly SMU from the 1980's type stuff. So UTSA may have landed one of the best recruiters in America, with a few strings attached. Those string haven't identified themselves yet. 

But this is what Frank Wilson has done at UTSA, enlist the help of some serious recruiting talent to help him build the program. 

read more:  https://gardale-hatley-xort.squarespace.com/news/2017/3/6/tuesday-playcard?utm_content=bufferd5cd9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

1 hour ago, Harry said:

New UTSA defensive line coach Bo Davis is no stranger to success. He helped put together some of the strongest, most dominant defensive line units in the country during his time at Alabama. How he put those units together is a question at this point. 

Davis resigned from Alabama last spring under curious circumstances. Davis was shown the door at Bama allegedly because of recruiting violations. Davis' lack of cooperation with the school sped up his ouster. 

24/7 rated Davis as the number one recruiter in the SEC and number two recruiter nationally. Davis was investigated by the NCAA, however the investigation has not reached a resolution. His hiring at UTSA is a little surprising given that fact. Davis spent last season in NCAA limbo, waiting on something to come of the investigation. So he took a job driving a truck, making $18 an hour and waited. He's still waiting. 

The allegations stem from Davis' contact with recruits outside NCAA mandated time frames. Not exactly SMU from the 1980's type stuff. So UTSA may have landed one of the best recruiters in America, with a few strings attached. Those string haven't identified themselves yet. 

But this is what Frank Wilson has done at UTSA, enlist the help of some serious recruiting talent to help him build the program. 

read more:  https://gardale-hatley-xort.squarespace.com/news/2017/3/6/tuesday-playcard?utm_content=bufferd5cd9&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Wilson is getting it done by taking chances. UTSA is committed to athletics. I wish UNT was half as committed.

UTSA is my darkhouse to win CUSA next year.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 12

6 hours ago, All About UNT said:

just can't help yourself.

Truth hurts. Hide and watch. They are building something down there that has never been built here. And they are doing it with much much less.

#commitment

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 11

7 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Wilson is getting it done by taking chances. UTSA is committed to athletics. I wish UNT was half as committed.

I'm not sure committed is the word I'd use. It may apply, but I think 'taking a chance' would also work and might be a better fit.

46 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Between Coker and this guy, UTSA seems hell bent on winning and perhaps becoming the next Baylor.  

Or TCU? The frogs have had their scandals too, though nothing on the level of Baylor of course. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Between Coker and this guy, UTSA seems hell bent on winning and perhaps becoming the next Baylor.  

No, they are doing what every other FBS school not named UNT does. They hire people to win. They are committed to a winning athletics program.

I love ya, but this was the same statement  rolled out there by many (myself included)  for the Larry Brown hire by SMU. Did they get their wrists slapped? Yep. Are they now positioned to get a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament and have they been picked by one expert as one of 8 teams that should win it all? Yep again. And a program poised to be a major player on the national scene for years to come.

So I ask you, was the slap on the hand worth it?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Truth hurts. Hide and watch. They are building something down there that has never been built here. And they are doing it with much much less.

#commitment

They have a lot of advantages on their side that we don't. They have no history of apathetic losing. They don't share a market with anyone else. The SA media likes covering them. And Power 5 teams want to play there.

We don't have any of that.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

No, they are doing what every other FBS school not named UNT does. They hire people to win. They are committed to a winning athletics program.

I love ya, but this was the same statement  rolled out there by many (myself included)  for the Larry Brown hire by SMU. Did they get their wrists slapped? Yep. Are they now positioned to get a 4 seed in the NCAA tournament and have they been picked by one expert as one of 8 teams that should win it all? Yep again. 

So I ask you, was the slap on the hand worth it?

I know a lot of people who improve their social lives and better their chances at a little action on Saturday night by saying "I'm fine to drive."

It's just a little slap on the wrist.  Is a slap on the wrist worth it? 

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

They have a lot of advantages on their side that we don't. They have no history of apathetic losing. They don't share a market with anyone else. The SA media likes covering them. And Power 5 teams want to play there.

Bullshit to the P5 not wanting to play here. UNT didn't want them to play here. The Hattiesburg Hustler said so publicly on a GMG.com podcast, Yet Baker was able to get a one and one within 6 months of taking the job. Can't believe you of all people would throw that particular excuse out. That particular false narrative should be dead and buried. 

18 year olds don't know our history. I think our culture hurts us much more than our history, because you can bet HS coaches know that culture and have been subjected to it if they have been coaching very long. 

What UTSA has in publicity they lack in facilities, and terribly so. Unless they get really good (very possible), their attendance average will fall below 20k. People don't want to watch losers. You as a UNT fan should know that by just looking around Apogee or the Pit. The Alamo Dome is a complete craphole, and anyone who has been there understands this. 

Their biggest advantage is culture inside the program. They have a culture that wants to win and will do what is legally necessary to get there. UNT doesn't. 

9 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I know a lot of people who improve their social lives and better their chances at a little action on Saturday night by saying "I'm fine to drive."

It's just a little slap on the wrist.  Is a slap on the wrist worth it? 

Really crazy analogy and completely inapplicable. SMU didn't commit a crime, for Pete's sake. 

So, back to the question:

Would you have hired Larry Brown if he could have provided to UNT exactly what he provided to SMU?

Wait, that's probably poorly worded. Better question: Do you think Brown was a good hire for SMU?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Their biggest advantage is culture inside the program. They have a culture that wants to win and will do what is legally necessary to get there. UNT doesn't. 

That may be the single most unfair statement you have ever made.  I haven't been in the LR and neither have you, we have no idea what type of mentality Littrell and Co., are instilling.  From what I have heard out of every interview from player or coaches, they weren't satisfied with the result of bowl loss, wanted to get in through wins and not by APR, although they were thankful.   Most times they reference the goal being conference championships.  They seem to be working toward that, by winning 5 games and losing 3 because an NFL level player beat them.   I think we should have beat UTEP, but when a CUSA team has an NFL level player on them you get results.  See UNT last HOD bowl, La Tech, WKU, and UTEP this year.  NFL talent tends to win out vs inferior talent, it can be beat but you must execute and have little to no mistakes by an entire unit. 

• Upvote 6

44 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

That may be the single most unfair statement you have ever made.  I haven't been in the LR and neither have you, we have no idea what type of mentality Littrell and Co., are instilling.  From what I have heard out of every interview from player or coaches, they weren't satisfied with the result of bowl loss, wanted to get in through wins and not by APR, although they were thankful.   Most times they reference the goal being conference championships.  They seem to be working toward that, by winning 5 games and losing 3 because an NFL level player beat them.   I think we should have beat UTEP, but when a CUSA team has an NFL level player on them you get results.  See UNT last HOD bowl, La Tech, WKU, and UTEP this year.  NFL talent tends to win out vs inferior talent, it can be beat but you must execute and have little to no mistakes by an entire unit. 

I'm not talking about coaches. I'm talking about UNT leadership and administration. If there is a cultural problem there, it will absolutely work its way down to head coaches. Dickey is a PRIME example. The man became bitter because he got zero support from apathic leadership above the AD. 

What did UNT do when they fired Dickey? Hired a high school coach. That's not even pretending to care. And when Dodge predictably failed? Hired a retread and bumped salaries because they absolutely had to do so. 

And who was AD that entire time? A woefully underperforming AD that kept his job for 15 years and was only fired after a huge majority of the fan base threw a hissy fit. Yes, that absolutely mattered. Even then, RV had support from high level donors and some BOR members to remain. What other FBS would ever retain that level of incompetence for 15 years? The answer is none.

That moves us to Baker, who appears to have taken a go along to get along position at UNT. That will work well for him if he wants to he UNT AD for 15 years, but it will be highly detrimental to the most important change needed for success of the major athletic programs: a change in culture.

Baker appears to be willing to do what his bosses want him to do with little or no fight. How do I know this? Because I haven't seen evidence of him winning one major issue. IF this is the case (we will know for certain if major changes aren't made in the AD by mid June), Baker will be just another in a long line of failed hires at UNT.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 9

34 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

So, back to the question:

Would you have hired Larry Brown if he could have provided to UNT exactly what he provided to SMU?

Wait, that's probably poorly worded. Better question: Do you think Brown was a good hire for SMU?

First question: No, I'll always look to win clean rather than dirty.

Second question: Yes, he was a good hire for SMU. Their culture doesn't have the same aversion to winning dirty.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

That moves is to Baker, who appears to have taken a go along to get along position at UNT. That will work well for him if he wants to he UNT AD for 15 years, but it will be highly detrimental to the most important change needed for success of the major athletic programs: a change in culture.

Baker appears to be willing to do what his bosses want him to do with little or no fight. How do I know this. Because I haven't seen evidence of him winning one major issue. IF this is the case (we will know for certain if major changes aren't made in the AD by mid June), Baker will be just another in a long line of failed hires at UNT.

Again, the man has not been here a full calendar year and you are ready to make this assumption?  What is "one major issue" that Baker has lost?  Come on Froggie, you have to give the man a chance.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

I'm not talking about coaches. I'm talking about UNT leadership and administration. If there is a cultural problem there, it will absolutely work its way down to head coaches. Dickey is a PRIME example. The man became bitter because he got zero support from apathic leadership above the AD. 

What did UNT do when they fired Dickey? Hired a high school coach. That's not even pretending to care. And when Dodge predictably failed? Hired a retread and bumped salaries because they absolutely had to do so. 

I'm and who was AD that entire time? A woefully underperforming AD that kept his job for 15 years and was only fired after a huge majority of the fan base threw a hissy fit. Yes, that absolutely mattered. Even then, RV had support from high level donors and some BOR members to remain. What other FBS would ever retain that level of incompetence for 15 years.

That moves is to Baker, who appears to have taken a go along to get along position at UNT. That will work well for him if he wants to he UNT AD for 15 years, but it will be highly detrimental to the most important change needed for success of the major athletic programs: a change in culture.

Baker appears to be willing to do what his bosses want him to do with little or no fight. How do I know this. Because I haven't seen evidence of him winning one major issue. IF this is the case (we will know for certain if major changes aren't made in the AD by mid June), Baker will be just another in a long line of failed hires at UNT.

Not sure what you mean by Baker taking a go along to get along approach.  He has hastened the facility improvements, got locker rooms re done, got brand new helmets in football will be releasing a pretty sweet lineup of new jerseys for football (He is getting the team money to do these things) He has been very open on social media with ideas and open to change.  I am not sure that coming in and making whole sale changes in the AD before grasping what is going on in the department is a good idea.  Yes there should be some changes but I think it is fair to give those said employees a chance to succeed under a new leader before making that decision.   I also get your argument for starting all fresh. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Not sure what you mean by Baker taking a go along to get along approach.  He has hastened the facility improvements, got locker rooms re done, got brand new helmets in football will be releasing a pretty sweet lineup of new jerseys for football (He is getting the team money to do these things) He has been very open on social media with ideas and open to change.  I am not sure that coming in and making whole sale changes in the AD before grasping what is going on in the department is a good idea.  Yes there should be some changes but I think it is fair to give those said employees a chance to succeed under a new leader before making that decision.   I also get your argument for starting all fresh. 

Very good post.

I would like to give him the head job of an AD and sit back and watch.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Umm...  TU isn't that far away.  I'd consider that a shared market with a P5 team.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, UNT90 said:

So...your angle is now "recruiting violations, no prob?" Oh, the irony.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 4

7 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

So...your angle is now "recruiting violations, no prob?" Oh, the irony.

Would you take the slap on the wrist SMU got to be a nationally prominent basketball program? If not, enjoy losing.

8 hours ago, Moobs said:

Umm...  TU isn't that far away.  I'd consider that a shared market with a P5 team.

Exactly, the biggest P5 shadow on the state. 

Wouldn't surprise me to see UTSA and UT sign a one and one in the future...

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, GMG24 said:

You don't keep a guy around that wanted and openly campaigned heavily for your job. It leads to split loyalties inside your organization. That move should have been made immediately and hurt the time frame to improve the AD. That was a complete go along to get along move, a la Mac keeping Chico. 

He didn't fire Benford when he knew he should have. He bowed to people in high places that liked Benford and didn't want him gone before season's end. Good old personal manipulation and UNT athletics are best buddies. 

He thinks he is being politically smart, but what he is doing is perpetuating a terrible culture that he either can't identify or has decided not to fight.

Is there a chance I'm wrong? Sure. If you ignore human behavior and listen to just words. June will tell the tale. If there are no AD changes (I'm betting there won't be), we will know what The Who told us so many years ago:

• Downvote 5

@UNT90 ,

You may not see it now, but I feel like one day, maybe years down the road, you will get so tired of our almamater losing that you'll throw your name in contention to be the next UNT Athletic Director.   Boosters, ready for someone to stir things up, will put pressure on the university president to hire you because of your arguably extreme views on how to turn UNT athletics around.  After narrowing down the candidates to you and what would have been UNT's first female Athletic Director, you'll be hired to be AD and make UNT great again.  

...then again, maybe I just ate some bad Mexican food.   I dunno.   

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

@UNT90 ,

You may not see it now, but I feel like one day, maybe years down the road, you will get so tired of our almamater losing that you'll throw your name in contention to be the next UNT Athletic Director.   Boosters, ready for someone to stir things up, will put pressure on the university president to hire you because of your arguably extreme views on how to turn UNT athletics around.  After narrowing down the candidates to you and what would have been UNT's first female Athletic Director, you'll be hired to be AD and make UNT great again.  

...then again, maybe I just ate some bad Mexican food.   I dunno.   

Lol. I got a job, don't want another. 

Besides, I got my sights set on the TCU head basketball coaching gig once Jaime takes the Duke job when Coach K retires.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3