Saturday afternoon games

greenjoe

I've been to about as many NT Men's Basketball games as anyone my age.  Historically, men's games have been held on Thursday evenings and Saturday evenings.  There have been a few Tuesday games and even one or two Monday games.  But the last few years I've seen Sunday afternoon games and this season a number of Saturday afternoon games. 

Now, the first thing many here will point out is that we've had Saturday afternoon football games forever.  I even attended the NT-Texas game in Austin with an 11:00am kickoff.  The Heart of Dallas Bowl was an 11:00 kick.  But somehow football is different.  The run up to the game and the time spent during and afterward is just different. 

So I'm asking 2 things here I guess....First, am I the only one or, in the minority of fans that don't like a basketball game to tip off in the afternoon (or morning ?) and second, are the afternoon games scheduled in the afternoon for the convenience of the fans, the athletic department, or is there some other reason for day time basketball ?

In my last few seasons watching NT Basketball the time of the tip wasn't the problem with attendance.  Paul Simon said the "problem is all inside your head" and so it might be.  I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts.

GO MEAN GREEN

The opposing team may have requested an afternoon game so that they can return home at a reasonable time so that the athletes can keep a more normal schedule for rest and studying.

Edited by MeanGreenDadx2
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, greenjoe said:

So I'm asking 2 things here I guess....First, am I the only one or, in the minority of fans that don't like a basketball game to tip off in the afternoon (or morning ?) and second, are the afternoon games scheduled in the afternoon for the convenience of the fans, the athletic department, or is there some other reason for day time basketball ?

In my last few seasons watching NT Basketball the time of the tip wasn't the problem with attendance.  Paul Simon said the "problem is all inside your head" and so it might be.  I'd appreciate everyone's thoughts.

GO MEAN GREEN

Why is the tip off a concern?

I like the Saturday afternoon tip-offs. It allows you to still have your evening should you wish to go out and do other things.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I very much enjoy the Saturday afternoon basketball games.  It frees up my Saturday evenings for other things or a dinner afterwards with my bride.  I do, however, understand that families with kids are often very involved in their kids activities on Saturday afternoons which could keep them from attending afternoon games.  But, of course, this is the same with afternoon football games.  I also understand afternoon games pretty much take a good bit of the day.

I guess there is no "perfect time" and that fans will be split on how they feel about game times.  I just like one evening and one afternoon game a week.  So, I am good with the afternoon games.

I also believe it does have to do with visiting teams wanting to "hit the road" at a reasonable hour after the games.  It seems that afternoon Saturday BB games are becoming more and more "common" in many conferences.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2