AFCA proposing early signing date

Cerebus

???

Kids can already enroll early.  I don't really see the point of moving the signing date.  Instead, why not just say, they can sign between the end of the winter semester and the first Wednesday in February?

Signing in December would mean no more official visits after the season? 

Can someone explain to me who is pushing this and why?

If anything in football sports needs to be moved, it's the NFL Draft.  It needs to be moved back to April; and needs to occur all in one day.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

???

Kids can already enroll early.  I don't really see the point of moving the signing date.  Instead, why not just say, they can sign between the end of the winter semester and the first Wednesday in February?

Signing in December would mean no more official visits after the season? 

Can someone explain to me who is pushing this and why?

If anything in football sports needs to be moved, it's the NFL Draft.  It needs to be moved back to April; and needs to occur all in one day.

I think idea is to have two. Similar to basketball where there would be one in December and then regular in February. Would at least help finalize the ones that are 100% locked down so schools can focus just on those who aren't committed.

15 hours ago, meangreenacct said:

I think idea is to have two. Similar to basketball where there would be one in December and then regular in February. Would at least help finalize the ones that are 100% locked down so schools can focus just on those who aren't committed.

If the idea is to be similar to basketball then they need to have signing day at the start of season.  I like the idea for the highly ranked and recruited guys.  Problem is I think this increases the transfer epidemic. 

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

If the idea is to be similar to basketball then they need to have signing day at the start of season.  I like the idea for the highly ranked and recruited guys.  Problem is I think this increases the transfer epidemic. 

Which is surely similar to basketball.

Ya know the strange thing is, the big schools and conferences are already making money, so what's the point in monkeying with the signing date?  Is there really something so radically wrong with the current signing day? 

Like everything else in life, college football will eat itself/jump the shark if it keeps messing with itself.  A change in signing day won't suddenly make a kid who was going to sign with OU or Texas magically sign with Texas State or UTEP.  What is the end game, here, really?

Update: NCAA moves forward with December signing date, drops June signing date

The Division I Football Oversight Committee continued its support for a December signing period — coinciding with the current junior college signing period — but dropped its recommendation to add a June signing date. 

---

The committee’s continued support for a signing date before December is confusing considering the market — coaches and recruits — rejected any proposals that called for players to sign before their senior football seasons were complete, but this is the NCAA.

---

The Oversight Committee will now forward its recommendations to the Division I Council, which will vote on the proposals “as early as April.”

Some schools (Stanford, Rice, ND) have admissions requirements that won't be met by that date.  So either this is going to put them at a disadvantage, or royally screw some recruit who signs with that school but then isn't accepted.  

This is obviously something coaches wanted, I don't see it helping out most recruits.