Here's who we lose

Harry

The Class of 2015 actually had 4 of 8 JUCO signees make an impact here which is a freaking miracle considering how poor coach Hac was at evaluating players.

16 high school signees. LB Mcnair, WR Bradley, WR Bendy, DT Harrison, DE Howard have all left or didn't make it to campus.

I could be wrong but that will leave us 11 scholarship players from the class, without being creative this class may hurt us in the long run as much as the class of 2012 did.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

The Class of 2015 actually had 4 of 8 JUCO signees make an impact here which is a freaking miracle considering how poor coach Hac was at evaluating players.

16 high school signees. LB Mcnair, WR Bradley, WR Bendy, DT Harrison, DE Howard have all left or didn't make it to campus.

I could be wrong but that will leave us 11 scholarship players from the class, without being creative this class may hurt us in the long run as much as the class of 2012 did.

Yup that will definitely hurt. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UNT Mean Green said:

Defensive End will be the toughest, just because there's not a ton of talent waiting in the wings.  As @GMG24 said LaDarius Hamilton will likely play with this hand in the dirt from here on out and should be an anchor. Call it what you want, but Coach LeBlanc did one heck of a job with the D-Line this year. He figured out the proper personnel fits and had a nice rotation plan during games. He should be able to piece something together that's likely improved from this year, even with new (more athletic) faces. 

Receiver, Offensive Line, and Linebacker should be improved overall.Losing James Gray at Safety will sting, but Muhammed made some nice contributions this year as a true Freshman. Enterline, Keena, Schilleci, and Buyers were all excellent Special Teams players. 

Kudos to all of the Seniors, who endured quite the roller coaster ride in their playing careers in Denton, as they helped to lay the foundation for the program to build on for sustained success. 

7 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

English will anchor! Hamilton will ply DE like this year but 15lbs heavier! DL coach did do a great job!

LeBlanc did get hired late last year because Tech picked up KP from us. Not sure if this impacted who he wanted to recruit but he did do good with who he had. 

7 hours ago, All About UNT said:

Doubt it. 

8 hours ago, GMG24 said:

Don't forget we get Fleusche back for another year, no ones motor runs hotter than his in practice or on the field.  Dude loves the game. 

Raveon next season?? ????

I'm not sure it is a lock for Hoston to be on the team next year, because it going to be based off of him being able to qualify with the books. People have said he would be a PWO, but he is at UNT(I saw him on campus, and it was confirmed by Ashton as well). Honestly if they have a scholly he could get it since he is a 1 and done guy next year, but if anything he could be a PWO just to be a talented body. 

Also, I think it will hurt losing the leaders like Scott and Buyers, but TT and Buyers were leaders in that WR room, will be interesting to see what happens now because it will be a very young room. 

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

LeBlanc did get hired late last year because Tech picked up KP from us. Not sure if this impacted who he wanted to recruit but he did do good with who he had. 

I'm not sure it is a lock for Hoston to be on the team next year, because it going to be based off of him being able to qualify with the books. People have said he would be a PWO, but he is at UNT(I saw him on campus, and it was confirmed by Ashton as well). Honestly if they have a scholly he could get it since he is a 1 and done guy next year, but if anything he could be a PWO just to be a talented body. 

Also, I think it will hurt losing the leaders like Scott and Buyers, but TT and Buyers were leaders in that WR room, will be interesting to see what happens now because it will be a very young room. 

Young, but darn talented, especially once we get our JC receiver(s).

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Come on, Bama offered this dude... he ain't walking in at UNT, he'll be on ship and I'm ok with that bc he'll be done after this season.  

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Come on, Bama offered this dude... he ain't walking in at UNT, he'll be on ship and I'm ok with that bc he'll be done after this season.  

I'm just going by what has been said on this forum.. Also, I think SL and staff would rather fill that Scholarship with someone who will be around for longer

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Harry said:

Here's the reality of the situation.  Because of Mac's failings in recruiting and Dodge's before that, we have become a team which is very reliant on juco talent.  Not saying this is necessarily a bad thing as KSU has done that for years at a high level.   The problem with it is you are having to rebuild your team every couple of years and often times juco players do not work out right away if at all.

Take a look at the top tacklers in the Heart of Dallas Bowl:

32  Scott, Fred   11  .   .   .   .  
7   Combs, Jareid   10  .   .   .   .  
18  WHEELER, Joshua  1.0/2   .   .   .  
17  FINNEY, Cortney  .   .   .   .  
21  Gray, James   .   .   .   .  
36  Baulkman, Dee    

Combs, Wheeler, Finney, Gray, Baulkman -- all had big performances.  You want to lower that percentage of juco players but it is hard to do if you are also trying to win right away.

High school players at our level take time to develop and the best programs redshirt most of them.

Did this in the recruiting area a few weeks back, but it shows the extent to which McCarney really juiced up the JUCO recruiting after the 2014 HOD bowl to replace Orr, Trice, and the other departing defensive parts.

It did help get us back to a bowl game this year, but it also leaves the current staff with more vacancies than you'd like to see. 

That said, I'm eager to see how McCarney's final prep commit, Deion Hair-Griffin, plays out.  He committed early and stuck through the Littrell hiring.  He's supposed to have blazing speed and be a great athlete.  If things get jammed up at receiver, might be nice to see if he could flip to DB/Nickel.  Surely, they'll try him on punt and kick returning as well.

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Did this in the recruiting area a few weeks back, but it shows the extent to which McCarney really juiced up the JUCO recruiting after the 2014 HOD bowl to replace Orr, Trice, and the other departing defensive parts.

It did help get us back to a bowl game this year, but it also leaves the current staff with more vacancies than you'd like to see. 

That said, I'm eager to see how McCarney's final prep commit, Deion Hair-Griffin, plays out.  He committed early and stuck through the Littrell hiring.  He's supposed to have blazing speed and be a great athlete.  If things get jammed up at receiver, might be nice to see if he could flip to DB/Nickel.  Surely, they'll try him on punt and kick returning as well.

It's very likely that he's in the running for KR / PR next season, and maybe some rotation time at WR. 

On 12/28/2016 at 11:20 AM, ForneyGreen said:

Defensive End is the position that stands out to me with SR losses.  We need to get our remaining DE's healthy (e.g. Tillman Johnson).  Interested to see what Kevin Dillman can do as a DE in the Spring.

Overall, I think we have a pretty strong JR class coming up, so not overly worried about our SR losses.

A big thanks to all of the seniors for their hard work and dedication to the Mean Green!

from the look of Raveon Hoston’s twitter, he seems to indicate he will be with the team next season.  Can anyone confirm this? 

2 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

He's a little guy, like that returner TCU has had over the past two seasons.  Hope he's as electric as him...can't think of his name off hand. 

He was committed to us at one point, electric player. Just imagine if Jerod Evans had committed here instead of Air Force, and if Charles Walker didn't qualify until late keeping OU off of him. Those two would have helped immensely the past couple years.

Edited by ntmeangreen11

1 hour ago, Monkeypox said:

Someone needs to start a thread on returning starters. I'd do it, but, you know... the lazy. 

I'd like to see who we have coming back from that game, and maybe even an analysis of incoming players or redshirt guys to compete at the positions. 

Based on the two deep from the bowl game:

WR's:

X: Elijah McIntyre FR, O'Keeron Rutherford RS SO

A: Michael Lawrence FR (second team)

Y: Kelvin Smith RS FR (second team)

Z: Turner Smiley JR, Rico Bussey FR

OL:

LT: Jordan Murray SO or Elex Woodworth RS FR, Jalen Thomas JR

LG: T.J. Henson SO or Elex Woodworth RS FR, Wylie Reinhardt JR

C: Creighton Barr SO (second team)

RG: Chris Miles RS SO or Jordan Murray SO

RT: Chris Miles RS SO (second team)

QB: Mason Fine SO, Quinn Shanbour RS JR

RB: Jeffery Wilson JR, Willy Ivery JR, Andrew Tucker JR, Anthony Wyche SO

DE: Tillman Johnson JR or Andy Flusche RS JR (second team)

NT: Roderick Young SO, T.J. Tauaalo RS SO

DE: LaDarius Hamilton FR

CB: Nate Brooks SO, Jameel Moore FR

CB: Eric Jenkins JR

NICK: Dee Baulkman JR of Ashton Preston SO

JACK: Joshua Wheeler JR, Calvin Minor JR

WLB: Brandon Garner RS SO (second team)

MLB: E.J. Ejiya JR

S: Kishawn McClain JR, Taylor Robinson RS FR

S: Khairi Muhammad FR (second team)

Special Teams:

PK: Trevor Moore JR