We're Going Bowling! But Where?

shaft

8 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

I'm just going to say the Big 12 has some very good, and if not great offenses... just look at what WKU did vs us or even LA Tech... or should I even bring up Florida? 

and my last comment... Have you seen our OLine... yea that should be even more reason to doubt us even getting to 3 points...

Have you seen UT this year?  They are not WKU, LaTech, or Florida.

• Upvote 6

21 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

On what basis do you assume that UT--this year's UT--would beat UNT 56-3?  They just lost to KU, and we could probably beat KU 1 out of 3 games.

We would beat KU 3 of 3 on a neutral field. Their lone win before tonight's beautiful but extreme outlier was vs FCS Rhode Island. They did manage to be competitive with TCU, but all other games were absolute stompings. 

*UT would beat us 3 of 3 on a neutral field. Not that it would matter, but this neutral field would be a de facto home game for UT. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

We must beat UTEP before we get too far ahead of ourselves. I'm not sure I really want to see us go bowling with a 5&7 record.We won't be in HOD Bowl, and certainly not against Army. W.K.,Baring upsets,La. Tech,MTSU,ODU,UTSA,and UNT look to be the 6 teams available to fill bowls from CUSA .La.Tech. will probably go either to New Orleans or Shreveport.I would think UTSA or UNT would be a good match with New Mexico in Albuquerque.Assuming WK wins championship they should have the choice between HOD and Hawaii,with MTSU taking the other. ODU might go to Florida or the Bahamas.In summary, I am elated we won tonight, and am just throwing spitballs on the wall regarding bowl selection.Anyone going to El Paso this coming Saturday?

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, wardly said:

We must beat UTEP before we get too far ahead of ourselves. I'm not sure I really want to see us go bowling with a 5&7 record.We won't be in HOD Bowl, and certainly not against Army. W.K.,Baring upsets,La. Tech,MTSU,ODU,UTSA,and UNT look to be the 6 teams available to fill bowls from CUSA .La.Tech. will probably go either to New Orleans or Shreveport.I would think UTSA or UNT would be a good match with New Mexico in Albuquerque.Assuming WK wins championship they should have the choice between HOD and Hawaii,with MTSU taking the other. ODU might go to Florida or the Bahamas.In summary, I am elated we won tonight, and am just throwing spitballs on the wall regarding bowl selection.Anyone going to El Paso this coming Saturday?

Yes we take the bowl game even as a 5-7 team... it's extra practice time for this very young team.. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

when you say sleeping giant and fan base, i got confused... When we were good back in the day going to the bowls in the Sun Belt and playing Baylor UT etc, we still didn't sale out Fouts...

Were you at the HOD in 2013?  Did you go to the SMU game to start the home slate the next year (which would have been even better attended if not for an 11am kick)?  That should be evidence enough that momentum can be created and there are existing alumni to tap into.  100k+ DFW alumni...this is something we tout all the time.  I'M confused...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, tmjerm said:

Were you at the HOD in 2013?  Did you go to the SMU game to start the home slate the next year (which would have been even better attended if not for an 11am kick)?  That should be evidence enough that momentum can be created and there are existing alumni to tap into.  100k+ DFW alumni...this is something we tout all the time.  I'M confused...

We're now at 200k+ DFW alumni. We literally are THE University of North Texas. I agree, let's string some winning seasons together and there should be no reason not to fill Apogee and show up strong for a local bowl game.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Cerebus said:

B12 team will not be in the HoD bowl.  They have 8 contracted bowl games and at the very most they are only going to get 7 teams bowl eligible.  Any B12 team that ends up bowl eligible will end up in a B12 bowl or in the CFP.  

1) I hate this premature bowl talk 

2) if we do make it , I don't think we get to HOD ..

But that 8th contract (BIG XII)  is the HOD Bowl, right ? 

Where do Texas & TCU rank on the APR list ? Could one get it in with 5 wins , thus making 8 Big XII bowl teams? 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, tmjerm said:

After the HOD bowl win the attendance did improve but stil didn't sell out any games...

yes a game vs a big school would spark interest but look what that W vs army did for us.. a lot of people took notice.. it's a safer bet vs someone like army than vs UT or some other p5 team.. go out positive and not with a gaint beat down.. this team and athletic program needs positive energy and a W vs a solid program like Army can give us positive energy and a major confidence boost for us fans and the program.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

But that 8th contract (BIG XII)  is the HOD Bowl, right ? 

No these are the B12 bowl agreements this year:

BOWL SELECTION ORDER
Again this season, the Big 12 has eight bowl slots guaranteed. The Conference is partnered with nine bowls. However the arrangement with the Gator Bowl is for it to select a Big 12 team twice over a four-year period. In the two years in which the Gator does not select a Big 12 team, the Sun Bowl will.

Following is the selection order:

BCS
Cotton
Holiday
Gator (when it selects a Big 12 team)
Alamo
Sun (when the Gator does not take a Big 12 team)
Insight
Independence
Texas

2 hours ago, wardly said:

There is not a team in the Big 12 that wouldn't kick our @%*, even Kansas. They all have too much depth for us.

Considering we just beat a team that beat an SEC team, it would take someone with a real dearth of insight to say that beating KU (or UT, for that matter) would be altogether out of the question.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Considering we just beat a team that beat an SEC team, it would take someone with a real dearth of insight to say that beating KU (or UT, for that matter) would be altogether out of the question.

Vandy beat MTSU and WKU, and USM beat Kentucky....Also, USM beat Kentucky with their #1 QB... we barely beat them vs their #3 QB last night...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Mean Green 93-98 said:

If your point is that unexpected things can happen any given Saturday, I agree.

My point is that UNT is not on par with any of these teams they said teams are healthy... We can think that UNT would have won last night even with USM #1 QB playing but I don't believe that...

We have beat 1 solid C-USA team and that is Marshall, and even that is a reach... We got taken out to wood-shed and beaten badly but WKU, LAT, MTSU(outside of 2 or 3 drives).... We can't even beat avg C-USA teams... Yea USM got lucky, and we have gotten lucky as well.. remember rice? remember army with them missing multiple possible INTs and them turning it over.. or even the UTSA game...

we aren't ready to play and win vs these vastly more talented teams, yes we could get lucky... but we could also end up being on another end of a WKU/LAT beat down or even worse a UTSA L and lose all of these good feelings going into the offseason...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

My point is that UNT is not on par with any of these teams they said teams are healthy... We can think that UNT would have won last night even with USM #1 QB playing but I don't believe that...

We have beat 1 solid C-USA team and that is Marshall, and even that is a reach... We got taken out to wood-shed and beaten badly but WKU, LAT, MTSU(outside of 2 or 3 drives).... We can't even beat avg C-USA teams... Yea USM got lucky, and we have gotten lucky as well.. remember rice? remember army with them missing multiple possible INTs and them turning it over.. or even the UTSA game...

we aren't ready to play and win vs these vastly more talented teams, yes we could get lucky... but we could also end up being on another end of a WKU/LAT beat down or even worse a UTSA L and lose all of these good feelings going into the offseason...

Not gonna lie: even a 30+ point loss in a bowl game would have me pretty amped about the future of the Litrell era.

having said that, I think NSD will be more telling.

• Upvote 1