The Late Late Postgame Observations

Caw Caw

Fine has some things to work on and he did hold the ball too long at times.  I think Doc has an issue with the "respectable" comment.

At first I didn't think it was a big deal, but after thinking about it, "respectable" doesn't give Fine his props.  He's a true freshman, and probably played better than any UNT QB over the past few years.  Considering the circumstances, he played really well.

Respectable is something I would say for a QB that played well, but the team lost, or a bus driving QB.  The defense was a major reason UNT won, but Fine did a lot to help this team beat Marshall. 

• Upvote 2

If there is one thing I want Mason FIne to learn to do, it is to learn when to SLIDE when he decides to tuck the ball and run. It scares me to no end that he's going to take a huge hit one of these times and end up getting hurt.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Caw Caw said:

I guess I should have clarified in saying I think they they the game get out of hand as far as player interaction. The booing was more than well-deserved. My real issue is with the stuff on the bottom sentence. Again, I am a loud trash talker, probably the loudest in my section. Profanity is a crutch upon which bad trash talk leans. Not that it can't be included, but I just like some style points and creativity. It can be an art if executed correctly.

It sounds like we're on the same page. As far as creativity goes, I remember when I was an undergrad and graduate student, we would do extensive research on the opponents players (girlfriends, newspaper articles, football stats, thigs related to high school, facebook review etc.) and would come up with extremely creative things to yell down to the field. We never took it too far, and hardly ever yelled profanity, and it was greatness. I remember opposing players would look back in confusion as if thinking, in one specific case, "how in the world do these guys know I lost prom king, my starting spot on the roster, and SGA president election during my senior year of high school and how do they now me and my girlfriend just broke up.... who are these guys???"

it was great to see how much we could get under the skin of some players. Unfortunately, it general resulted in them flipping us off and pointing at the scoreboard at the end of the game for most of my time in college. I feel like our student section lost most of that creativity, sadly.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, GOMG2013 said:

Fine has some things to work on and he did hold the ball too long at times.  I think Doc has an issue with the "respectable" comment.

At first I didn't think it was a big deal, but after thinking about it, "respectable" doesn't give Fine his props.  He's a true freshman, and probably played better than any UNT QB over the past few years.  Considering the circumstances, he played really well.

Respectable is something I would say for a QB that played well, but the team lost, or a bus driving QB.  The defense was a major reason UNT won, but Fine did a lot to help this team beat Marshall. 

Exactly! Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

4. The students are there for a reason. If UNT grows into a reputation of having a raunchy and inappropriate student section then so be it. I won't lose sleep over it. Get under their skin by any means necessary and answer questions later if need be. 

In 2013, me and some buddies were heckling the Rice bench like crazy and one of my friends made the following comment: "Hey Coach, go recruit some better players!" The response was gold. Rice's defensive coordinator at the time turns around and yells at us to F*** off. The frustration was mounting, we were getting louder, and it became apparent that we would win the game. If our crowd turnout and noise was like what you see in the video below every game, it would be amazing. Just fill in the sides a bit and you've got a hostile environment. Needless to say, my drunk self took it too far and cussed back at the coach and was told by a CSC staff to not cuss or I would be thrown out of the game. That game is one of the best sporting events I have ever been at.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

In 2013, me and some buddies were heckling the Rice bench like crazy and one of my friends made the following comment: "Hey Coach, go recruit some better players!" The response was gold. Rice's defensive coordinator at the time turns around and yells at us to F*** off. The frustration was mounting, we were getting louder, and it became apparent that we would win the game. If our crowd turnout and noise was like what you see in the video below every game, it would be amazing. Just fill in the sides a bit and you've got a hostile environment. Needless to say, my drunk self took it too far and cussed back at the coach and was told by a CSC staff to not cuss or I would be thrown out of the game. That game is one of the best sporting events I have ever been at.

I was at this game. Sitting on the same side but other 40 yd line. Fun game. 5-8k more on a consistent basis would make for a real home field advantage. It would put us at that 25k+ range on a regular basis and in my mind would make it the most electrifying smaller stadium in the country. If we can go into homecoming with a 5-3 record whoa nellie, it could get fun. Playing on a 3 game win streak, playing for bowl contention, homecoming, 3 week hiatus from a home game at all, relatively known program (at least for this area), etc. We COULD be flirting with that 30k mark if all the stars align just right. I can't stomach the possibilities. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I was at this game. Sitting on the same side but other 40 yd line. Fun game. 5-8k more on a consistent basis would make for a real home field advantage. It would put us at that 25k+ range on a regular basis and in my mind would make it the most electrifying smaller stadium in the country. If we can go into homecoming with a 5-3 record whoa nellie, it could get fun. Playing on a 3 game win streak, playing for bowl contention, homecoming, 3 week hiatus from a home game at all, relatively known program (at least for this area), etc. We COULD be flirting with that 30k mark if all the stars align just right. I can't stomach the possibilities. 

As bad as our fan base is when it comes to attending games for general support regardless of the quality of our team, we are also really good at rallying behind an improving team. It's a fan base starving for success. If we head to that game, on homecoming, 5-3 against a top notch C-USA opponent, you'll see an atmosphere better than that of the 2013 Rice game. It would be amazing. That Rice game was also the #hit6 game and had it not been for Halloween night on a school night (Thursday), we would have hit 30k.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, GMG_Dallas said:

As bad as our fan base is when it comes to attending games for general support regardless of the quality of our team, we are also really good at rallying behind an improving team. It's a fan base starving for success. If we head to that game, on homecoming, 5-3 against a top notch C-USA opponent, you'll see an atmosphere better than that of the 2013 Rice game. It would be amazing. That Rice game was also the #hit6 game and had it not been for Halloween night on a school night (Thursday), we would have hit 30k.

This year's game game won't be Thursday. It'll be homecoming and if we are in fact 5-3 going into that game it'll be the best shot at a sellout we have had since the stadium debut. It would be a perfect storm. I don't want to get ahead of ourselves though. Getting healthy this week is the first step to any of the above becoming reality. Then beat Army the following week. GMG 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

If this happens as the best case scenario you describe, and we can sustain that momentum, we're looking at easily the loudest stadium in C-USA. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/9/2016 at 1:26 PM, Ben Gooding said:

2. He hangs onto the ball waaaaay too long. His "oh shit" clock is consistently about .05 seconds too long. He HAS to learn to throw the ball away. And he absolutely HAS to quit taking unneeded poundings. But he played a respectable game. 

4. The students are there for a reason. If UNT grows into a reputation of having a raunchy and inappropriate student section then so be it. I won't lose sleep over it. Get under their skin by any means necessary and answer questions later if need be. 

6. Whether he was coached this or not I don't care. He has the mentality of getting the job done. Hopefully this resonates through the team. 

7. Shit show. Horrible for both teams. 

2. His OL is giving him .05 seconds to make a decision, He has made 3-4 bad plays per game that I've watched, and those are easily written off as a True Freshman QB playing D1 football.  He wants to make plays and he wants to win, I will live with the mistakes he's making.  

4. No. I am all for giving the opposition a hard time, at one point I heard them giving 5 a hard time as he cycled to keep his legs warm and they got under his skin.  That is fine.  Giving an injured player a hard time is totally different and not acceptable. 

6. No.  You do not want a kid going rogue just because "he thinks he can." I am sure that same thing was re-iterated to this young man Sunday in meetings. 

23 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

I don't get paid to watch film and walk Fine through film seasion. But they are there. Anyone will tell you that outside of I guess yourself. 

If you say so. 

Then why constantly bash?  Can you imagine our previous QB's in the same situation this true freshman is in?  It would be a nightmare.  Appreciate what ya got young Ben. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

37 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

2. His OL is giving him .05 seconds to make a decision, He has made 3-4 bad plays per game that I've watched, and those are easily written off as a True Freshman QB playing D1 football.  He wants to make plays and he wants to win, I will live with the mistakes he's making.  

4. No. I am all for giving the opposition a hard time, at one point I heard them giving 5 a hard time as he cycled to keep his legs warm and they got under his skin.  That is fine.  Giving an injured player a hard time is totally different and not acceptable. 

6. No.  You do not want a kid going rogue just because "he thinks he can." I am sure that same thing was re-iterated to this young man Sunday in meetings. 

Then why constantly bash?  Can you imagine our previous QB's in the same situation this true freshman is in?  It would be a nightmare.  Appreciate what ya got young Ben. 

All of this is just like, uh, your opinion (just as what I posted is mine). You're entitled to it though, young Brandon. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

All of this is just like, uh, your opinion (just as what I posted is mine). You're entitled to it though, young Brandon. 

You didn't answer me, but keep calling fact, opinion. 

56 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

These are opinions. Your opinions. Now let's not mistake your opinion for fact. 

Oh and pointing out things that need extra attention is not bashing. And calling someone's performance respectable is not bashing. There's your answer. 

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

These are opinions. Your opinions. Now let's not mistake your opinion for fact. 

Oh and pointing out things that need extra attention is not bashing. And calling someone's performance respectable is not bashing. There's your answer. 

You've never been wrong eh? Keep doing you... 

• Downvote 2