MGN Film Room: Drive that Saved The Season

aztecskin

14 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

http://meangreennation.com/mgn-film-room-the-drive/

There was some luck involved on this drive. I'd rather be lucky than good. If that Rice DB comes up with an INT I don't know that there is a win for us to feel good about and everything is completely turned. 

Yuh. Luck strikes everywhere, the good teams just know where and when to take hold of it.

• Upvote 4

That pass to Rutherford was huge as it let us get a first down and get the drive going.  However, Fine's scramble was a huge play on third and 12.  It looked like a called QB draw since he takes off as soon as his back foot hits.  Perhaps it was pass/run option for Fine.  Rice looked like they were ready for it and should have stopped it for little to no gain but Fine found an open lane.  I wonder if the coaches were thinking two plays for a first and if they would have gone for it on 4th if it had been a manageable distance. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

That pass to Rutherford was huge as it let us get a first down and get the drive going.  However, Fine's scramble was a huge play on third and 12.  It looked like a called QB draw since he takes off as soon as his back foot hits.  Perhaps it was pass/run option for Fine.  Rice looked like they were ready for it and should have stopped it for little to no gain but Fine found an open lane.  I wonder if the coaches were thinking two plays for a first and if they would have gone for it on 4th if it had been a manageable distance. 

Yeah I watched it over and over and i can't tell if it was called. At the game i thought it was, on replay it looks like a scramble. You may be right, it could have been an RPO. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, aztecskin said:

Yeah I watched it over and over and i can't tell if it was called. At the game i thought it was, on replay it looks like a scramble. You may be right, it could have been an RPO. 

16 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

It looked like a called QB draw since he takes off as soon as his back foot hits. 

*ahem*

For the center it's a 3 mi'ssippi count after the snap

http://meangreennation.com/air-raid-concepts-y-stick/

16 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

yeah the F (running back) blocks like its pass protection though. Doesn't lead block. I think it was a scramble. 

The F is engaged in a block with the DT that twisted into his gap, and can't release until the DT begins to run after Fine.

The pass play is a three step drop, the draw is one step go, the read pass option begins with the handoff.

When he begins his run, the gap he ends up choosing isn't even open yet.

I mean, I *could* be mistaken, and he decided to bail after every receiver was covered.

Either way, took grit and probably a little bit of pain.

9 hours ago, Aldo said:

The F is engaged in a block with the DT that twisted into his gap, and can't release until the DT begins to run after Fine.

The pass play is a three step drop, the draw is one step go, the read pass option begins with the handoff.

When he begins his run, the gap he ends up choosing isn't even open yet.

I mean, I *could* be mistaken, and he decided to bail after every receiver was covered.

Either way, took grit and probably a little bit of pain.

The good thing about it being hard to tell is that other teams can't key on it. The Spring game cut ups showed Morris taking a step but that might be a quirk of his. 

The pre snap read really aligns perfectly for that call. NT got lucky that the DT stunt didn't blow it up. If F was supposed to lead, he would have been on the safety that Fine evaded. Fine made a great play regardless. That *should* have been a yard gain and 4th down. 

It probably was a run call. Maybe at the line?