DRC: Demonte Hood finds home at UNT

Brett Vito

Hoping Hood can help this team.

I know the level of competition at KSU is a little higher than here, but a 3rd-string DT in a 4-3 defense doesn't transfer to a C-USA school and become all-conference in a 3-3-5.  
I honestly don't expect much out of him...  Hope he can surprise.

And before anyone says it...   3rd-string QB for the national champs is a different animal.  Expecting big things from Morris.   Heck, a 3rd-string QB from Iowa came to C-USA and tore it up 2 years ago (Sokol).

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know the level of competition at KSU is a little higher than here, but a 3rd-string DT in a 4-3 defense doesn't transfer to a C-USA school and become all-conference in a 3-3-5.  

And before anyone says it...   3rd-string QB for the national champs is a different animal.  Expecting big things from Morris.   Heck, a 3rd-string QB from Iowa came to C-USA and tore it up 2 years ago (Sokol).

A player of this size and strength is likely at the very least an upgrade I would think.  I'm pretty sure our d-line got pushed back rather easily all of last season.  I would hope that he is at least an upgraded anchor that is hard to push back and stuff things up the middle more often than in the previous season...  plus, in a 3 - 3 - 5, I would also assume you need a massive human as your middle piece of the d-line to try and free up some of those LB's to make some tackles...  or maybe I'm just brainwashed to think that our perpetually undersized d-line that has some size added is an auto-upgrade...

I'm very very interested to see how this plays out. 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dont think he has to be all conference. He provides size, depth, and strength to a position of need. His job wont be to make a lot of plays/tackles. His job will be to tie up the OL, draw double teams, so that the LBs, NICK, and safeties can make plays. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, SHOSS said:

A player of this size and strength is likely at the very least an upgrade I would think.  I'm pretty sure our d-line got pushed back rather easily all of last season.  I would hope that he is at least an upgraded anchor that is hard to push back and stuff things up the middle more often than in the previous season...  plus, in a 3 - 3 - 5, I would also assume you need a massive human as your middle piece of the d-line to try and free up some of those LB's to make some tackles...  or maybe I'm just brainwashed to think that our perpetually undersized d-line that has some size added is an auto-upgrade...

I'm very very interested to see how this plays out. 

Young is still starting, and Hood is listed as co-#2 with Tauaala.  Hopefully it's because he's only been here a short time and is still learning the system and excelling.  Those guys (Young & Tauaala) are the 2 starters from last year that were being "pushed back rather easily" last year.   If there were 2 DTs last year being pushed back rather easily, I would think 1 DT would be pushed back even more easily.   

We'll see, and I hope he's a contributor.   Just voicing concern, as many here seem to think since Hood came from KState he's going to be great for us.

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Those guys (Young & Tauaala) are the 2 starters from last year that were being "pushed back rather easily" last year. 

Young was a true freshman, and I don't recall him being pushed back rather easily last year.  I would expect him to be even more of a force this year.

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Young is still starting, and Hood is listed as co-#2 with Tauaala.  Hopefully it's because he's only been here a short time and is still learning the system and excelling.  Those guys (Young & Tauaala) are the 2 starters from last year that were being "pushed back rather easily" last year.   If there were 2 DTs last year being pushed back rather easily, I would think 1 DT would be pushed back even more easily.   

We'll see, and I hope he's a contributor.   Just voicing concern, as many here seem to think since Hood came from KState he's going to be great for us.

Actually Wallace and Orr accounted for 20 of the 22 combined starts at DT (Young filled in for Wallace once and Orr once).  It would be interesting to see how many plays both Young and Taoaala played because the line did get pushed around and they were definitely in for some of the time.