Who's Calling Plays?

jdennis82

1 hour ago, jdennis82 said:

I may've missed this info somewhere along the way but have we heard whether Littrell or Harrell will be calling offensive plays this fall?

If I am a betting man, and I know that Littrell knows he has to win here or moving up in the head coaching world will never happen, then he calls plays through Harrell.  IE: They sit down at some point in the week and they are on the same page as far as gameplan and how they're attacking, then on gameday Harrell makes the call, but its from Littrell. If that makes sense. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, UNT90 said:

How does one call plays when we have been told numerous times that there is no playbook? 

Jeeze, with no play book, ummm, i wonder if they have atleast one touchdown play to call.  If not, this season is gonna suck.  I hope defense has at least one "stop em" play....

Edited by SHOSS
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, UNT90 said:

How does one call plays when we have been told numerous times that there is no playbook? 

http://www.footballxos.com/download/offense/college-offense/texas-tech-offense-mike-leach.pdf

There is still terminology the players have to memorize to know where to go and how to block on each play call. 

The whole Mike Leach "We Don't Have A Playbook" thing is half-misnomer, half-ego driven legend.  The players are responsible for for knowing the places, responsibilities, and formation...whether or not they are assembled in a "playbook" or handed out on pieces of paper.

From the Mike Leach offense:

"Coach What You Know
If you know the rushing game, the don't try to coach the Run and Shoot offense.  If you know the passing game, then don't try to run the Wing T. 

Successful coaches have run all types of offenses.  Every offense has won a championship somewhere at sometime.  The Wing T, The Spread, The Veer, The West Coast, and on and on...these different offenses have all held the trophy.

Is it the offense you run, or the ability to master what you know? 

Be a student of the game and stretch yourself.  Learn as much as you can so that your will be versatile.  But, don't add something until you know it, and know it well."