SMU opens -10.5 versus UNT

Harry

Geez, can't believe I made it to the end of this thread. Arguing about something and you aren't even understanding the other side.

Many are arguing they like the SMU/Army series because it's easy to get too and we can win, and winning is what we need. WHile others (mainly one person) are arguing that this is small time thinking and you don't have faith in the program if you don't thin we can beat a P5. Only a P5 win will make a dent in the perception.

The thing is, both sides are right.

We need wins and decent OOC games like Army and SMU, that are also easy (SMU) or fun (Army) to go to.

We also need to beat a big name at some point to start getting attention. Both things need to happen.

• Upvote 6

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Geez, can't believe I made it to the end of this thread. Arguing about something and you aren't even understanding the other side.

Many are arguing they like the SMU/Army series because it's easy to get too and we can win, and winning is what we need. WHile others (mainly one person) are arguing that this is small time thinking and you don't have faith in the program if you don't thin we can beat a P5. Only a P5 win will make a dent in the perception.

We need wins and decent OOC games like Army and SMU, that are also easy (SMU) or fun (Army) to go to.

We also need to beat a big name at some point to start getting attention. Both things need to happen.

But I'm more right...

Right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Lol. This is the delusional hatred and the way overvaluing a terrible SMU program that UNT fans do on a consistent basis. Beating SMU will mean more to recruits than a victory over a Big 10 team?  Delusional lunacy.,

OK.   Come on UNT90, I'll walk you through the logic, so hopefully you can understand:
holding_hands.jpg

You and I can agree that most of UNT's High School recruits are going to be coming from the DFW area and other nearby areas of Texas & Oklahoma, right?   
You and I can agree that those same recruits are likely going to be recruited by other nearby schools like SMU/UTSA/LATech/etc..., right?
Those recruits oftentimes (not all the time, I know) choose schools close enough to have family friends come watch them play, right?
Generally speaking, when weighing options, people like to compare them directly to each other, right?
If you answer "no" to any of these, don't even bother reading anymore.

So, when a recruit from, say DeSoto, who holds offers from UNT & SMU and is seriously considering both schools (like many of our recruiting targets) has an opportunity to watch those two teams square off, it will hold A LOT of sway in their decision... even if they choose to go to a different school.  If you don't agree, you're wrong.
Coming to UNT to watch UNT play Illinois or some other P5 will be great in the eyes of those recruits, don't get me wrong.  
But, first of all, we're not to the point where we can beat a 'beatable' P5 yet.  Neither is SMU, so that argument is pointless for now.
Second of all, the head-to-head result will weigh more on the minds of the recruits... because SMU can do the same thing (schedule some other P5 at home).

"Delusional hatred" has nothing to do with any of it.   I would feel the same way about kids in East Texas who have offers from both UNT & LATech coming to watch a UNT & LATech game, versus watching UNT & Kentucky at Apogee, then driving to Ruston to watch LATech & Purdue.   When factoring their decision, they would probably rather see the direct competition.  Especially if both teams lose those P5 games.

Same if we were to have a series with Houston, Tulsa, or any other regional foe.   We just happen to be in a much closer vicinity as SMU to the same recruits.   

There are reasons to 'hate' SMU.   There are better reasons as to why the series makes perfect sense for both teams... UNT just needs to win the games.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

OK.   Come on UNT90, I'll walk you through the logic, so hopefully you can understand:
holding_hands.jpg

You and I can agree that most of UNT's High School recruits are going to be coming from the DFW area and other nearby areas of Texas & Oklahoma, right?   
You and I can agree that those same recruits are likely going to be recruited by other nearby schools like SMU/UTSA/LATech/etc..., right?
Those recruits oftentimes (not all the time, I know) choose schools close enough to have family friends come watch them play, right?
Generally speaking, when weighing options, people like to compare them directly to each other, right?
If you answer "no" to any of these, don't even bother reading anymore.

So, when a recruit from, say DeSoto, who holds offers from UNT & SMU and is seriously considering both schools (like many of our recruiting targets) has an opportunity to watch those two teams square off, it will hold A LOT of sway in their decision... even if they choose to go to a different school.  If you don't agree, you're wrong.
Coming to UNT to watch UNT play Illinois or some other P5 will be great in the eyes of those recruits, don't get me wrong.  
But, first of all, we're not to the point where we can beat a 'beatable' P5 yet.  Neither is SMU, so that argument is pointless for now.
Second of all, the head-to-head result will weigh more on the minds of the recruits... because SMU can do the same thing (schedule some other P5 at home).

"Delusional hatred" has nothing to do with any of it.   I would feel the same way about kids in East Texas who have offers from both UNT & LATech coming to watch a UNT & LATech game, versus watching UNT & Kentucky at Apogee, then driving to Ruston to watch LATech & Purdue.   When factoring their decision, they would probably rather see the direct competition.  Especially if both teams lose those P5 games.

Same if we were to have a series with Houston, Tulsa, or any other regional foe.   We just happen to be in a much closer vicinity as SMU to the same recruits.   

There are reasons to 'hate' SMU.   There are better reasons as to why the series makes perfect sense for both teams... UNT just needs to win the games.

We disagree.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

As long as you admit going to Luby's for dinner in Granbury

I'm more of an 1890 Grille type guy. That's how much school spirit I have.

Although I do go to Cari's Diner for a great breakfast occasionally. I hear their lunch is really good, also. Corner of 377 and Davis Dr. Don't look like much, but quite the surprise. 

I don't even think there is a Luby's in Granbury.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Well, we didn't get "throttled" by K State the last time we played them at Fouts, did we?

We've been over this. Chris Cosh was coaching K-State's defense that day, which explains our points explosion.

4 hours ago, UNT90 said:

For people who are supposedly UNT fans and supposedly believe Luttrell is the guy to turn this around, you Mofos sure do lack confidence in the product that will be on the field in a couple of years. 

Why is that? I mean this is from people who always accuse me of being negative, but when I try to suggest something that will give this program a chance to take off, these same people assume UNT will get blown out at home by a P5. 

That's optimism, right? 

So dumb.

SMU gets P5s to their tiny 30k seat stadium. But you say UNT can't. Typical negativity from a UNT fan who doesn't believe in the product, program, or new AD.

We aren't talking about Kenny Chesney's hometown or The Lone Survivor here. We are talking about Seth Littrell.

Also dude, you aren't going to beat a good P5 program at home in year one, that just ridiculous. A loss over a P5 at home does nothing to advance your program, it does reinforce the stigma that we are a bottom rung football team. Beating a regional team(from an alleged better G5 conference) at home who we ACTIVELY compete against for recruits on a DAILY basis helps our program SUBSTANTIALLY!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

We've been over this. Chris Cosh was coaching K-State's defense that day, which explains our points explosion.

We aren't talking about Kenny Chesney's hometown or The Lone Survivor here. We are talking about Seth Littrell.

Also dude, you aren't going to beat a good P5 program at home in year one, that just ridiculous. A loss over a P5 at home does nothing to advance your program, it does reinforce the stigma that we are a bottom rung football team. Beating a regional team(from an alleged better G5 conference) at home who we ACTIVELY compete against for recruits on a DAILY basis helps our program SUBSTANTIALLY!!

Did you even read what I posted? 

And holding Cosh accountable for coaching one year of a defense on which he had no personnel that he recruited and following a DC that didn't recruit is ridiculous and show a lack of a college football IQ. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

26 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Grandbury is the Meth Capital of Texas.  A friend of mine is the former ADA out there....you probably know him

Any small town in Texas is the meth capital of Texas. 

But they usually leave you alone and we are well... equipped to deal with the ones that don't.

'Murica!!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just a follow up thought: There's more to this debate than what the fans will like, right?

I am referring to the notion that we - UNT, SMU and TCU - compete as the largest universities in one of the largest media markets in the country.  Would beating SMU not be good for us in the sense that local news would be forced to show us as the victor over one of the two other major schools?  In a battle for page space, or media presence in general, it would be a lot more difficult to ignore us (locally, at least).  Are there examples of newspapers on Monday highlighting a SMU loss and bumping a UNT victory to the small print on the back page?

I don't know one way or the other.  How were we treated compared to TCU and SMU the Sunday/Monday following our victory over Indiana?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

The SMU/Army series is a gift to Littrell.  Combined with the FCS homer each year, he's got three very winnable games to start the season. 

Posted about this back in the spring:  with the current OOC schedules, we should go no worse than 2-2 every year OOC, then just need to break even in conference to get to a bowl game.  It's a very favorable schedule to build the program at a time when we need some breaks.