Finishing out wingzone into bowl

Stan R

I think this topic came up a while ago but I'm curious again and... it's the offseason.   What do we think the cost would be to fill in the open areas to the sides of the wingzone and make it a complete bowl?  Is this something we should do as a next step?  Would it be a better idea to double deck the student side at some point?  To those who like the wingzone, we could still keep its iconic shape by adding green bleachers to the area I guess. 

All of this of course assumes that Littrel wins the next 5 conference championships, 2 bowls and we are averaging 29K per game. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Have you been to Austin?   Never ever do this.

That deck actually used to work pretty well back before Austin became a metropolitan traffic nightmare. I do my best to avoid driving through there during peak hours these days unless it's my destination and no other option is available.

The stadium is built to be expanded.  The student side is strong enough to support a second deck, like the alumni side.  I would assume the first step in expansion if (God Willing) we ever have to expand would be that.

The wing zone is temporary, and the stadium is designed to accommodate that endzone being enclosed and integrated with the other two sides.  

5 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I find this part really interesting as the wing zone is the most identifiable feature of the stadium

I am sure if we ever have the money and demand for it they will figure out someway to make the enclosed endzone look sufficiently wing like.  

• Upvote 1

There were drawings included in a university master plan that was circulated a while back (last year?).  It showed the wing zone bowled in so that it formed a horseshoe.  Instead of more open seating on the student side, it showed additional luxury boxes/suites if memory serves.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I find this part really interesting as the wing zone is the most identifiable feature of the stadium

I believe the end zone is like it is to save construction costs but you're right, it is the more identifiable feature.  I can imagine a universe where suites and a second deck is added to the visitor side leaving the end zone like it is until more seating is needed.  Then there will be people moaning about losing the wing.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

There were drawings included in a university master plan that was circulated a while back (last year?).  It showed the wing zone bowled in so that it formed a horseshoe.  Instead of more open seating on the student side, it showed additional luxury boxes/suites if memory serves.

This isn't effective. You don't add low cost (read: endzone) seats first, you add them last. The student side or Alumni side being double decked should be the first step 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Small steps! I want to be able to throw a sausage wrap as far as I can and hit someone in my section first. But, nonetheless, wouldn't it be nice?

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Is that what the kids are calling it now a days?

ey4aBg9.gif

My preference is jalapeno with a yellow, cheesy substance flowing from it when you bite down. Runs down your chin and gets on one's clothes.

That's the coolest green bus I've ever seen.

I'd like to see a time when people lined up to get tickets.  Sleeping bags and folding cots in front of the ticket office.  90 makes a good point.  Again.  A double decked student side with luxury boxes needs to be our next need.  I've never been in the wing section but I like it.  Maybe someday I'll bring a sack lunch and hike up there.

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, greenjoe said:

That's the coolest green bus I've ever seen.

I'd like to see a time when people lined up to get tickets.  Sleeping bags and folding cots in front of the ticket office.  90 makes a good point.  Again.  A double decked student side with luxury boxes needs to be our next need.  I've never been in the wing section but I like it.  Maybe someday I'll bring a sack lunch and hike up there.

GO MEAN GREEN

Been there, done that.  My calves hurt for a couple days from the experience.

5 hours ago, EagleMBA said:

My preference is jalapeno with a yellow, cheesy substance flowing from it when you bite down. Runs down your chin and gets on one's clothes.

Oh, I'll bet it is, big boy...:Zap:

Edited by LongJim
  • Upvote 1