CBS DFW's Take On RV's Resignation

If your going to click and read this link....

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2016/05/24/north-texas-ad-rick-villarreal-resigns-after-16-years/

.....then some of you may want to be careful after reading past this point here.

...Villarreal’s second midseason firing in five years came last season when McCarney was let go after an 0-5 start. Fans turned on the athletic director as well,......

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

19 minutes ago, Aldo said:

As a board, I think we are done with the fomenting, and there's been plenty of time for soul searching.

Time to look forward, not backward.

For the record, you are against threads showing media coverage of a major event in UNT Athletics?

You should probably make your feelings known here too:

As for me, this is a big event and there's lots of coverage. I don't think that will all be digested for some time. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Army of Dad said:

For the record, you are against threads showing media coverage of a major event in UNT Athletics?

Nope, I was just brought #offsides by the multiplicitous delivery. OP has the exact same thread already going.

ETA: Though after a quick glance, looks like it got locked.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Nope, I was just brought #offsides by the multiplicitous delivery. OP has the exact same thread already going.

ETA: Though after a quick glance, looks like it got locked.

Also, that was about the coverage from a different media outlet before it devolved and got locked.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

As a board, I think we are done with the fomenting, and there's been plenty of time for soul searching.

Time to look forward, not backward.

I think many of us are, but realize there is still a segment of RV loyalist that won't forget this for a while and will push hard for Hank to be the next AD. 

That cannot happen. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 6

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

I think many of us are, but realize there is still a segment of RV loyalist that won't forget this for a while and will push hard for Hank to be the next AD. 

That cannot happen. 

Where is the conspiracy theory coming from? Do you have anything that suggests that it is happening, or is it in your head? You keep saying it, but I don't see anyone else saying anything like that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, forevereagle said:

Where is the conspiracy theory coming from? Do you have anything that suggests that it is happening, or is it in your head? You keep saying it, but I don't see anyone else saying anything like that. 

How do you feel about that?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 6

Just now, UNT90 said:

How do you feel about that?

Feel about what? That you are throwing an idea out that doesn't seem supported here? If you are implying that I am pining for Hank to take the permanent job, you don't read the board you post on so much, including threads you start. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

I seem to recall at least 1-2 posters floating the idea that Hank be the permanent AD.

That's not a lot, and I've seen more posts saying 'no thank you' to him and a couple of other AD staffers, but I think I've seen it.

Edited by Army of Dad

Just now, Army of Dad said:

I seem to recall at lest 1-2 posters floating the idea that Hank be the permanent AD.

That's not a lot, and I've seen more posts saying 'no thank you' to him and a couple of other AD staffers, but I think I've seen it.

I have seen people mentioning that he would make sense as the interim, but I cannot recall a single post here about him being the permanent solution.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 hours ago, forevereagle said:

Now that RV is gone, something/someone must fill the conspiracy vacuum.  For 90, apparently, its Hank Dickenson.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

6 hours ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

Now that RV is gone, something/someone must fill the conspiracy vacuum.  For 90, apparently, its Hank Dickenson.

I guess you missed George Dunham's love fest on the air promoting Hank for the job?

Busy campaigning for Chico to be head coach? 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 5

15 hours ago, UNT90 said:

I guess you missed George Dunham's love fest on the air promoting Hank for the job?

Busy campaigning for Chico to be head coach? 

?
Yes, I suppose I missed out on it.  What difference does it make?  Are you afraid George Dunham has some sort of undue influence on the BOR?  If not, then relax.

Not sure what your Chico angle is; but, have at it.

• Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

?
Yes, I suppose I missed out on it.  What difference does it make?  Are you afraid George Dunham has some sort of undue influence on the BOR?  If not, then relax.

Not sure what your Chico angle is; but, have at it.

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. George is a very influential alumni. I wouldn't just write off his endorsement.

• Upvote 3

If Hank gets hired as the permanent AD, then the point about RV being the major symptom of Apathy will continue to be proven. But something finally tells me that we aren't going that way at all--that Smatresk will hire someone outside of the university.

I agree on the idea that we need to hire a guy who has a proven record for hiring solid coaches in revenue sports. If he can fix that, and we actually start winning, the funds SHOULD come forward by increased MGC memberships, more season ticket holders, and a lot more butts in seats at Apogee and the Super Pit.

6 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. George is a very influential alumni. I wouldn't just write off his endorsement.

He's not that "very influential."  You're a little keyed up, I understand.  Relax.  Don't blow a gasket if Dickenson is the interim A.D.

Edited by MeanGreenMailbox
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenMailbox said:

He's not that "very influential."  You're a little keyed up, I understand.  Relax.  Don't blow a gasket if Dickenson is the interim A.D.

That would be a logical move. I'll blow a gasket if he is on the finalist list.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If Hank gets hired as the permanent AD, then the point about RV being the major symptom of Apathy will continue to be proven. But something finally tells me that we aren't going that way at all--that Smatresk will hire someone outside of the university.

I agree on the idea that we need to hire a guy who has a proven record for hiring solid coaches in revenue sports. If he can fix that, and we actually start winning, the funds SHOULD come forward by increased MGC memberships, more season ticket holders, and a lot more butts in seats at Apogee and the Super Pit.

I don't like Smatresk as much as others do.  I don't look at UNLV, his prior stop, as a model for college athletics.  It's good that he hired a consulting firm for the head football coach search (?).  But, I'm not sure, after hearing the new football coach in person, that we got the right person for the job.

Whatever consulting firm he hires for the A.D. search, fine.  But, if the hire ends up being like the football hire, there won't be as much "new energy" as everyone thinks there will be. 

Just now, MeanGreenMailbox said:

I don't like Smatresk as much as others do.  I don't look at UNLV, his prior stop, as a model for college athletics.  It's good that he hired a consulting firm for the head football coach search (?).  But, I'm not sure, after hearing the new football coach in person, that we got the right person for the job.

Whatever consulting firm he hires for the A.D. search, fine.  But, if the hire ends up being like the football hire, there won't be as much "new energy" as everyone thinks there will be. 

I tend to agree with you on Smatresk, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for several reasons:

1.) One, he inherited an accounting fiasco that was unprecedented in its nature, as far as I know. That had to require a ton of energy to address and rectify.

2.) Having to deal with UNT-Frisco and its starting up.

3.) Already had to deal with replacing the head football coach and that was probably more than enough to make heads spin on the BOR and administration because of its size and scope for the largest contract ever given at UNT.

I don't care if we get a low energy guy as long as he can pick winners for the revenue sports. That alone would make him way better than anyone who has been in that position here in multiple decades.

57 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I tend to agree with you on Smatresk, but I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt for several reasons:

1.) One, he inherited an accounting fiasco that was unprecedented in its nature, as far as I know. That had to require a ton of energy to address and rectify.

2.) Having to deal with UNT-Frisco and its starting up.

3.) Already had to deal with replacing the head football coach and that was probably more than enough to make heads spin on the BOR and administration because of its size and scope for the largest contract ever given at UNT.

I don't care if we get a low energy guy as long as he can pick winners for the revenue sports. That alone would make him way better than anyone who has been in that position here in multiple decades.

Fair enough.  I can go with that.