MGB: UNT, Memphis announce series

Brett Vito

12 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Just so I understand. In schedule building, you want a home P5. Not too powerful to kill you on the scoreboard and injuries, but above an FBC for attendance and recruiting, is that the balance you look for?

Do you mean FCS or G5 here?

26 minutes ago, UTSA Fan said:

Just so I understand. In schedule building, you want a home P5. Not too powerful to kill you on the scoreboard and injuries, but above an FBC for attendance and recruiting, is that the balance you look for?

I want a P5 that is recognizable to alumni and that is regionally based. Competitiveness doesn't matter. UNT just got there teeth kicked in 66-7 by an FCS last year. I think that demonstrates you schedule good opponents, not "easy" wins. The "easy" win on this year's schedule may beat UNT by 20.

Alumni perception of UNT is that UNT is nothing in major college athletics. I can't tell you how surprised many casual alums were that I talked to back in 2010 to find out that K. St. was playing in Denton. UNT needs to do this to legitimize it's football program to its own fan base, much less recruits and new students.

UNT lost to K St. by 9.

UNT lost to Portland St by 59.

UNT also needs a program defining win over a P5. It's never had one. It's much easier to obtain this win at home than on the road. Remind me, what is UNT's record in whore games the last 15 years?

Schedule good opponents and build a good program. 2 things that will never happen at UNT as long as Rick Villarreal is around. There should be a comprehensive plan in place to build the program with tougher OOC home games in each successive year. Right now, games are scheduled haphazzardly with no thought given to how each win or loss will affect the program overall. That's why you have a Butt Cookman on the schedule, an FCS team more than capable of coming in here and beating UNT this fall. RV has locked himself into what P5s did in the 1990s. Well, it's not the 90s and UNT is about as far from a P5 as a G5 can get. 

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

45 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I want a P5 that is recognizable to alumni and that is regionally based. Competitiveness doesn't matter. UNT just got there teeth kicked in 66-7 by an FCS last year. I think that demonstrates you schedule good opponents, not "easy" wins. The "easy" win on this year's schedule may beat UNT by 20.

Alumni perception of UNT is that UNT is nothing in major college athletics. I can't tell you how surprised many casual alums were that I talked to back in 2010 to find out that K. St. was playing in Denton. UNT needs to do this to legitimize it's football program to its own fan base, much less recruits and new students.

UNT lost to K St. by 9.

UNT lost to Portland St by 59.

UNT also needs a program defining win over a P5. It's never had one. It's much easier to obtain this win at home than on the road. Remind me, what is UNT's record in whore games the last 15 years?

Schedule good opponents and build a good program. 2 things that will never happen at UNT as long as Rick Villarreal is around. There should be a comprehensive plan in place to build the program with tougher OOC home games in each successive year. Right now, games are scheduled haphazzardly with no thought given to how each win or loss will affect the program overall. That's why you have a Butt Cookman on the schedule, an FCS team more than capable of coming in here and beating UNT this fall. RV has locked himself into what P5s did in the 1990s. Well, it's not the 90s and UNT is about as far from a P5 as a G5 can get. 

I just wanted to point out a common denominator of these two games. I think he may largely be the reason we scored 41 on KSU and gave up 66 to PSU.

defensive-coordinator-chris-cosh-of-the-16_cosh_web1.jpg

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4

This is a very nice series. I applaud RV for this. Memphis is a team higher up the food chain than we are and they are a recognized name. At this point, I just want higher end G5 names here for OOC opponents. I do wonder if this is due to the fact that SMU is really planning to drop the series with us (as predicted), but if not, SMU and Memphis are good teams to host here, just as long as they aren't paired with FCS spares.

To me, this will go back to the fact that the P5 bodybag game almost requires a bought FCS game if you want 6 home games in a season. So, as fans we all have to decide how important is it to watch Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian come to Denton to play us for a 6th home game, with Army and SMU as the other OOC games or if it would be more wise, knowing that the P5 whore game will continue as long as possible, to have a season where you have 5 home games, but your 1 OOC game was against a better opponent, while the next season would feature two solid OOC opponents that gets you 6 home games. For example:

@P5 Bodybag, @SMU, Army, @BYU (instead of FCS home game) + 8 CUSA games (4 home/4 away)

@P5 bodybag, SMU, @Army, BYU (instead of FCS home game) + 8 CUSA games (4 home/4 away)

@P5 bodybag, @SMU, Army, @ Memphis (instead of FCS home game) + 8 CUSA games

@P5 bodybag, SMU,  @Army, Memphis (instead of FCS home game) + * CUSA games

If SMU doesn't buyout the series, take advantage of them being local and getting a 6th close game and not wasting money on paying a FCS team to come here and eat into the money you get from the P5 bodybag game. If SMU buys out the series, replace it with Texas State, to insure you have another Texas opponent that is FBS every year, if you want. Or just schedule more OOC series (meaning the AD cannot be lazy) that are home-and-home.

Those FCS games are a complete waste of time, IMO. They don't help you learn anything about your team (see Nicholls State or Texas Southern), but leave open the possibility of getting an embarrassing loss (Portland State) that may cause more pain for your program. If playing a 6th home game every year means you getting to tailgate with your buddies before watching Lamar or Liberty or Butt Cookman play, I'm fairly confident in telling you that less than half of Apogee's filled seats suggests that the FCS opponent didn't provide you or the program with any value whatsoever. And in those years ahead, when CUSA sends us Eastern teams such as Charlotte, ODU, and F_U, with attendance being still under half of capacity, it might have been nice to have not played a FCS spare that you had to give hundreds of thousands to for the right to play us, but instead kept the cash to help with the budget for buyouts, facilities, and increased salaries for deserving coaches.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

This is a very nice series. I applaud RV for this. Memphis is a team higher up the food chain than we are and they are a recognized name. At this point, I just want higher end G5 names here for OOC opponents. I do wonder if this is due to the fact that SMU is really planning to drop the series with us (as predicted), but if not, SMU and Memphis are good teams to host here, just as long as they aren't paired with FCS spares.

To me, this will go back to the fact that the P5 bodybag game almost requires a bought FCS game if you want 6 home games in a season. So, as fans we all have to decide how important is it to watch Incarnate Word and Abilene Christian come to Denton to play us for a 6th home game, with Army and SMU as the other OOC games or if it would be more wise, knowing that the P5 whore game will continue as long as possible, to have a season where you have 5 home games, but your 1 OOC game was against a better opponent, while the next season would feature two solid OOC opponents that gets you 6 home games. For example:

@P5 Bodybag, @SMU, Army, @BYU (instead of FCS home game) + 8 CUSA games (4 home/4 away)

@P5 bodybag, SMU, @Army, BYU (instead of FCS home game) + 8 CUSA games (4 home/4 away)

If SMU doesn't buyout the series, take advantage of them being local and getting a 6th close game and not wasting money on paying a FCS team to come here and eat into the money you get from the P5 bodybag game. If SMU buys out the series, replace it with Texas State, to insure you have another Texas opponent that is FBS every year, if you want. Or just schedule more OOC series (meaning the AD cannot be lazy) that are home-and-home.

Those FCS games are a complete waste of time, IMO. They don't help you learn anything about your team (see Nicholls State or Texas Southern), but leave open the possibility of getting an embarrassing loss (Portland State) that may cause more pain for your program. If playing a 6th home game every year means you getting to tailgate with your buddies before watching Lamar or Liberty or Butt Cookman play, I'm fairly confident in telling you that less than half of Apogee's filled seats suggests that the FCS opponent didn't provide you or the program with any value whatsoever. And in those years ahead, when CUSA sends us Eastern teams such as Charlotte, ODU, and F_U, with attendance being still under half of capacity, it might have been nice to have not played a FCS spare that you had to give hundreds of thousands to for the right to play us, but instead kept the cash to help with the budget for buyouts, facilities, and increased salaries for deserving coaches.

There are many different ways to schedule creatively. Creativity and Rick Villarreal are on the opposite end of any spectrum.

1990s all the way!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

22 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Excellent news. Now if we could just snag Louisville, Cincinnati, and a few others, we would be right back where we were in 1969!

I would love to be where we were for the 1966-1967-1968 seasons with five total losses: one to Tulsa, one to Arkansas, and three to Memphis.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Yul-Brynner-So-Let-It-Be-Written.jpg

• Upvote 1