MGB: UNT to host top QB prospect

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, meangreenthirteen said:

If he lost all through high school you'd be in here like "Well it doesn't look like he's used to a winning culture, I'm not too confident about his ability to win here."  Biggest ass whip in history.  You seem miserable and it almost makes me sad.

Actually, I don't care about high school team record, as recruiting is about evaluating individual talent. 

You really need to work on your communication skills. Temper tantrums when you don't like someone's opinion won't get you very far in life.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 8

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Means barely hit 50% completion percentage his junior year and didn't hit 50% his senior year. Debiase actually had 2500 yards. 1400 was from the regular season, but as Vito said, he sat a lot in the second half because they would be up by so much. Way ahead of Means as a senior.

This makes me feel better about him. Thanks Billy. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

That's why I prefer to see them live in spring, (or fall if they are freshmen), practice. But then, by the time I see them in either of those practices, we've already made a commitment.

Exactly! 

Now, I don't want my dismissal of Hudl videos to imply to don't think we should be pursuring this young man. I'd love us to land him. 

Not sure why this kid's dad felt the need to keep buying him QB positions in high school.  Other colleges, obviously, aren't going for it. 

Here is where I get really, really down to the nitty-gritty:  Give me the Oklahoma kid from the 1,000 person town who has good grades and stats 1,000 times over this kid who comes with the wealthy dad anchor.

Littrell can't even communicate the suspension of a player arrested for a felony to the player or his coaching staff .  How would he handle this kid's dad in his hip pocket, day in and day out, for four years?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 8

6 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Means barely hit 50% completion percentage his junior year and didn't hit 50% his senior year. Debiase actually had 2500 yards. 1400 was from the regular season, but as Vito said, he sat a lot in the second half because they would be up by so much. Way ahead of Means as a senior.

Hey thanks.  I tried to look up the stats on Means, but couldn't find them.  I did know that those numbers being under 50% for his senior year didn't look promising for a college qb career.  I wonder if Means may be moved to another position.  Tight end?

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Actually, I don't care about high school team record, as recruiting is about evaluating individual talent. 

I think in general the record matters when you look at players who play in the lower divisions of their state.  That's when D1 talent, especially at the QB position, should be able to single-handedly win games.  The best example is Tyrone Swoopes.  A kid of that size should have been able to dominate 2A football in Texas, but his team went 1-9.  That right there was a huge indication that the kid doesn't have the skill set to be a D1 QB.     

1 minute ago, eulessismore said:

Hey thanks.  I tried to look up the stats on Means, but couldn't find them.  I did know that those numbers being under 50% for his senior year didn't look promising for a college qb career.  I wonder if Means may be moved to another position.  Tight end?

Or H-back hybrid. I've observed his speed and tackle breaking/avoiding ability. He has the ability to take it all the way like #88 for Alabama did in the championship game. 

• Upvote 1

Interview with Dad Debiase in 2013...using his Down Syndrome kid as a shield:

http://www.news4jax.com/news/extended-interview-with-markies-father-mark-debiase

By the way, after talking about how important it was to have his kids together at this school, he transferred his son two more times.  So...guess it wasn't as important as he said.

Any other questions about why this kid doesn't have any other offers?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

11 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

Littrell can't even communicate the suspension of a player arrested for a felony to the player or his coaching staff .  How would he handle this kid's dad in his hip pocket, day in and day out, for four years?

What!?!?! 

You find a random picture of a high school kid standing proudly next to a hot car, extrapolate his father is buying his position and then make the Quantum Leap to because Coach Littrell may or may not have told a new assistant coach about an incident that happened before he arrived that somehow Coach Littrell can't handle a father. 

Somewhere I have a picture from Hong Kong of me standing in the valet area of a hotel with multiple Lambos, Ferraris  and a couple of Rolls Royces. It doesn't mean I think I own them!

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, VideoEagle said:

Why not try to recruit both the top rated recruit in Florida AND the smart kid from Oklahoma? 

The smart kid from Oklahoma is grounded.  The kid from Florida appears to have a flake for a dad who has a demonstrated history of moving his kid when things aren't to his liking. 

You think this is the program - University of North Texas football - that needs that type of drama on top of all the other problems it has?

8 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

What!?!?! 

You find a random picture of a high school kid standing proudly next to a hot car, extrapolate his father is buying his position and then make the Quantum Leap to because Coach Littrell may or may not have told a new assistant coach about an incident that happened before he arrived that somehow Coach Littrell can't handle a father. 

Somewhere I have a picture from Hong Kong of me standing in the valet area of a hotel with multiple Lambos, Ferraris  and a couple of Rolls Royces. It doesn't mean I think I own them!

I'm not extrapolating anything.  I'm going by what I've read about the kid and his dad from people in Florida who have seen dad's shenanigans first hand.  The pic comes straight from the kid's twitter.   

To me, it's embarrassing that Littrell would give any kid with this type of dad - and, mixed up with Joe Dickinson - a sniff.  It shows how truly desperate we are at QB if we extend an offer to this kid...and, of course, his dad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

7 minutes ago, HarringtonFishSmeller said:

No.  That's the "top QB prospect" with no offers that is visiting this weekend.

In regards to UNT, he is OUR top QB prospect.  Not all prospects are going to be class president with a 4.0 and a perfect resume.  UNT is building a football team and you need football players.  

Maybe he works great and UNT lands a dad that ends up being a future donor.  Maybe it doesn't work and he ends up transferring around, but that is why Littrell wants to get quality QBs in every class.  We are in no place to be picky.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, meangreen15 said:

I think in general the record matters when you look at players who play in the lower divisions of their state.  That's when D1 talent, especially at the QB position, should be able to single-handedly win games.  The best example is Tyrone Swoopes.  A kid of that size should have been able to dominate 2A football in Texas, but his team went 1-9.  That right there was a huge indication that the kid doesn't have the skill set to be a D1 QB.     

137%...A+++ post!

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

In regards to UNT, he is OUR top QB prospect.  Not all prospects are going to be class president with a 4.0 and a perfect resume.  UNT is building a football team and you need football players.  

Maybe he works great and UNT lands a dad that ends up being a future donor.  Maybe it doesn't work and he ends up transferring around, but that is why Littrell wants to get quality QBs in every class.  We are in no place to be picky.

803098860.gif

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

What!?!?! 

Dude, Harrington's doing a bit now. He has to be. If so, he's stayed in character pretty well. Kudos sir.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

So, are we supposed to not like him because he stands next to a car with suicide doors?

No. We are supposed to not like him because we have a bunch of posters so jaded right now that anything that the University hires, recruits, says, does or doesn't do is, by its nature, something we are not supposed to like.

Any chance we can let the coaches do what they are paid to do and reserve judgement until their team runs its first play in a game that counts? 

But,

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

Dude, Harrington's doing a bit now. He has to be. If so, he's stayed in character pretty well. Kudos sir.

Yes, I'm doing a bit about:

(1) Hiring a coach with supposed "Texas high school" recruiting ties, who
(2) Hires former Texas Tech players with minimal coaching experience, but also supposed "Texas high school" recruiting ties, and who together use those ties to
(3) Steal small stature, small town Oklahoma high school QBs from Austin Peay and Emporia State,
(4) And pursue Florida's "top QB prospect" without any offers who can't stay at one school for more than a season because of an overbearing dad who keeps moving him around - in between flying him in and out of an Oklahoma QB guru's camp.

Eagle...I have a degree in Literature, and even I couldn't dream up such a bit!   I mean, we are being handed comedy gold here by Villarreal and Littrell!  If you don't buy season tickets for the football, buy it for the theater!  Shakespeare, were he alive at this moment in time, couldn't dream up this kind of stuff!

If popcorn doesn't outsell beer this fall at Apogee, my name isn't Orville Redenbacher!

(Please, though, keep the liquor, guns and knives away from the big money donors who arrive to see the show...that they are funding!)

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

27 minutes ago, eulessismore said:

So, are we supposed to not like him because he stands next to a car with suicide doors?

SUICIDE doors!!  You think stealing from Wal-Mart is bad, this kid wants to commit SUICIDE.   Geez, how many dealerships did his dad move him to before he found a car with doors like this?!!

Thanks Littrell....

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1