Very interesting tweet.

TheReal_jayD

40 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

It is just freaking amazing to me all of the transfer buzz and actual commits that we are getting already just with a coaching change. 

It makes sense when it was said that players want to play in a high powered offense. We see it actually coming to fruition here. 

Oh, but wait, it is hard to recruit at UNT..... 

c466c19be5fa786ef80d1bd8de1eb409.gif

c19baca9341e6205cec117d9f5ebd489.jpg

I am definitely not a Debbie Downer but maybe we should tap the brakes on Stevenson just a little. Reading and listening about him makes me think there is a message between the lines. More investigation please. JMO.

http://www.hark.com/clips/rqfcgvbfmn-danger-will-robinson

• Upvote 4

Whether or not we get Stevenson, BigWillie is exactly right.    We never had any buzz like this with Mac, even at the very beginning.     It seemed like Mac's job was to put a competitive football team on the field as soon as possible, which he did.    Littrell and his staff give off an aura of "we are young and good and can achieve anything".   That kind of attitude excites people.   I would rather have somebody shoot for the skies and fail, then carefully and safely achieve mediocrity. 

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, Eagle-96 said:

These are the kind of chances you take. The Wisconsin to Nebraska to somewhere else saga gives you pause but the upside potential is absolutely worth the risk. If he wants to sign here than bring it.

It is like the conversation I had last night with a coaching buddy, (for now) UNT is not landing any 4 star recruits as the program is so why not take a chance on 3-4 per year and if 1 pans out thats 1 more 4 star player than we would have had.  If all of them pan out look out! 

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Whether or not we get Stevenson, BigWillie is exactly right.    We never had any buzz like this with Mac, even at the very beginning.     It seemed like Mac's job was to put a competitive football team on the field as soon as possible, which he did.    Littrell and his staff give off an aura of "we are young and good and can achieve anything".   That kind of attitude excites people.   I would rather have somebody shoot for the skies and fail, then carefully and safely achieve mediocrity. 

It's a lot like Dodge vs McCarney. Dodge impressed when he got Vizza and said he was going to try to beat OU. Unfortunately, we lost 79-10 but I'd still rather have that then what we had here last season.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Until you show up wanting to talk to his 3-4* DL or QB, and instead he wants to show you his kicker or his 1* center because "those other guys aren't going to UNT, they have offers from Tech/TCU/etc...".   Let's hope Littrell can cut through any of that BS.

Well maybe because our old coaches didn't step foot in some of these high schools. Alot of kids would go to UNT so that their parents in the DFW could watch them play every Saturday with the stadium right down the road.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Until you show up wanting to talk to his 3-4* DL or QB, and instead he wants to show you his kicker or his 1* center because "those other guys aren't going to UNT, they have offers from Tech/TCU/etc...".   Let's hope Littrell can cut through any of that BS.

Well he did say he had a kicker available. lol and he tweeted several other coaches too. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NTAlum09 said:

Alot of kids leave the DFW area after high school for college and return home because it wasn't what they thought it would be.

Agree, and we've been the recipients of quite a few of them over the years.  Some have panned out, some have not.  The key is that they were not interested, for whatever reasons, right out of high school.  I'm not so sure Seth Littrell changes that for us.  But it is looking like he is getting those transfers' attention.

42 minutes ago, NTAlum09 said:

When a high school coach tweets and says I have players for you is something special. This is the reason why I wanted a young coach because they have the energy and drive to recruit. How often did we ever hear Mac going out there on recruiting trips?...I can't think of one. Littrell is going to make this look so easy its not even funny.

Also, why are we contemplating about potential recruits right now? Our team went 1-11 last season and I'm happy to see what the current staff is doing. I'd rather hear about Littrell making stuff happen then pointless topics I've been reading. Especially about are old coaches getting new jobs.

What's special is when recruits from SOC with other G5 and a few P5 offers sign with UNT.

Otherwise, it's just words in the twitterverse. 

I'll save my excitement for things that actually matter.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 13

1 hour ago, Eagle-96 said:

These are the kind of chances you take. The Wisconsin to Nebraska to somewhere else saga gives you pause but the upside potential is absolutely worth the risk. If he wants to sign here then bring it.

Agree with you mostly. After listening and reading, my concerns are not physical ability and football talent... they are "chemistry".

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

What's special is when recruits from SOC with other G5 and a few P5 offers sign with UNT.

Otherwise, it's just words in the twitterverse. 

I'll save my excitement for things that actually matter.

And I'll get more pragmatic than that.  

While I understand the value of recruiting, both for the future of the program and it's value in creating "buzz" amongst alumni and students, I'm more interested in the here and now. To me, the real value of a coaching staff is their ability to ASSESS PLAYERS, PUT PLAYERS WHERE THEY NEED TO BE, AND MOTIVATE ALL OF THEM TO THINK THEY CAN BEAT ANYONE ON OUR/THEIR 2016 SCHEDULE.

• Upvote 2

Here's what I read from the article:

Stevenson seemed bound for a redshirt year after he arrived in Lincoln overweight and unfamiliar with the playbook. But coaches burned the redshirt of the freshman from Dallas so he could return kickoffs starting with the sixth game against Wisconsin.

Stevenson did not shine at the position, averaging 14.2 yards per return in games against Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern. One return against Northwestern was brought back to the 9.

After that game, coach Mike Riley implicated the blocking more than Stevenson’s skill set, but Stevenson never returned another kickoff. He sat last week at Purdue. On Thursday, five days after the loss to the Boilermakers, Riley said Stevenson was sick and that he also wouldn’t return kickoffs against Michigan State. Instead, Stanley Morgan and Brandon Reilly will return kicks against the Spartans.

Riley said Thursday that he didn’t regret burning Stevenson’s redshirt.

“I think our intentions and his desires were good,” Riley said. “Only the future will tell.”

The future now resembles Stevenson’s near-past, as he will try to find a new school. Stevenson had to do the same this summer when his original choice, Wisconsin, denied him admission.

Obviously, you have to look at this as "we'll give the kid a second chance...C-USun Belt is much lower competition than Big Ten, so maybe...."

It's rife with hopes, at this point, for this kid - much like other transfers we've had who couldn't cut the mustard at bigger places.  If he doesn't hit the weightroom, film room, and study hall here as well, we will have wasted another scholarship and time that could have been used on a hardworking kid that could really contribute. 

To me, this kid sounds like a bigger than usual dice roll.  We will see.

Edited by HarringtonFishSmeller
John F. Kennedy told me to do it.
  • Upvote 3