In hindsight Fran wasn't the answer either

Harry

They lost to an awful NM State team at hone tonight 31-21. He's only had 1 winning season in the last 4 and it won't happen this year.  Texas State may decide to let him go.

I know he was a primary consideration when we hired Mac.  It sort of reinforces in me that even a very experienced coach may not succeed at a p5 gig.

To turn a program around it takes good recruiting, which takes a lot of energy and desire.

It's far more than just experience at winning. And it's not an exact science. There's a reason Notre Dame is paying people around $18 million NOT to coach their team. 

And being about to recruit to a FCS school no more an accurate predictor of G5 success than experience at a P5. Every single situation is unique with it's very own set of positives and negatives for recruiting. 

• Upvote 3

They lost to an awful NM State team at hone tonight 31-21. He's only had 1 winning season in the last 4 and it won't happen this year.  Texas State may decide to let him go.

I know he was a primary consideration when we hired Mac.  It sort of reinforces in me that even a very experienced coach may not succeed at a p5 gig.

To turn a program around it takes good recruiting, which takes a lot of energy and desire.

how's about as a recruiting liaison, QB evaluator. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Have to be very, very cautious with the retreads. I think that's the route least likely to work here.

Maybe if it's the right guy, but you really are running a risk with how much the landscape of college football and recruiting has changed since one of these guys last fielded a winning team.

I think you have to include Dykes in this conversation.  Good coach, done some good things but is he still hungry after making millions at Cal?  How many retread coaches have succeeded after moving down other than perhaps Bobby Petrino?  Seems like the majority like Fran don't do well moving from the big show down to g5.

It's far more than just experience at winning. And it's not an exact science. There's a reason Notre Dame is paying people around $18 million NOT to coach their team. 

And being about to recruit to a FCS school no more an accurate predictor of G5 success than experience at a P5. Every single situation is unique with it's very own set of positives and negatives for recruiting. 

Current Notre Dame HC is Brian Kelly he went 118-35-2 with  2 titles in Divison 2 and went 53-22 as a G5 HC.

He now has ND at 8-1 and ranked 5th.  He's now 224-78-2 as a HC.  He has won at every level as HC.

Before him they hired Charlie Weis who was an OC but never a HC. He was 16-21 his last 3 seasons.   He;s now 41-49 as A HC.

Before him they hired Tyrone Williams who was 44-36-1 as HC of Stanford with 3 losing seasons and no other HC experience.

He was 11-12 in his 2nd & 3rd seasons at ND.  He's now 76-88-1 as a HC.

Before him they hired Bob Davie who was an DC but never a HC.  He was fired after his 2nd losing season.  He's now 51-55 as a HC.

Moral: Hire a HC with multiple experiences as HC and won big at every level.

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 1

Current Notre Dame HC is Brian Kelly he went 118-35-2 with  2 titles in Divison 2 and went 53-22 as a G5 HC.

He now has ND at 8-1 and ranked 5th.  He's now 224-78-2 as a HC.  He has won at every level as HC.

Before him they hired Charlie Weis who was an OC but never a HC. He was 16-21 his last 3 seasons.   He;s now 41-49 as A HC.

Before him they hired Tyrone Williams who was 44-36-1 as HC of Stanford with 3 losing seasons and no other HC experience.

He was 11-12 in his 2nd & 3rd seasons at ND.  He's now 76-88-1 as a HC.

Before him they hired Bob Davie who was an DC but never a HC.  He was fired after his 2nd losing season.  He's now 51-55 as a HC.

Moral: Hire a HC with multiple experiences as HC and won big at every level.

Completely agree. All this 30 year old OC talk is disheartening. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I think you have to include Dykes in this conversation.  Good coach, done some good things but is he still hungry after making millions at Cal?  How many retread coaches have succeeded after moving down other than perhaps Bobby Petrino?  Seems like the majority like Fran don't do well moving from the big show down to g5.

I don't think I'd consider Dykes a retread because he's taken a Cal program that was in a bad place, made them pretty competitive, but they seemingly are not happy enough with where they are right now. Probably given how much hype Goff has received.

When I think retread I think a coach who was fired or not retained somewhere, and then giving them another chance.

• Upvote 1