MGB: Some thoughts on the idea of UNT/RV pursuing an offensive-minded coach

Brett Vito

Too high, assuming he should be on the list at all. 

No info, I just don't see him being an option this time.

I can totally understand your argument.

The reason I have him on the list, is bc he maybe one of the few options left on the table when the committee has to decide. 

Do I have him to high right now? Probably, but until more candidates throw in their interest he maybe an option. 

I also think he may not want to be here next year, based on some things Ive heard.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 1

I can totally understand your argument.

The reason I have him on the list, is bc he maybe one of the few options left on the table when the committee has to decide. 

Do I have him to high right now? Probably, but until more candidates throw in their interest he maybe an option. 

I also think he may not want to be here next year, based on some things Ive heard.

Just curious. The former Abilene coach is on the list (good choice) but how about Colby Carthel who (along with his dad) coached against him and is currently doing very well as the HC @ A&M Commerce?

• Upvote 1

Just curious. The former Abilene coach is on the list (good choice) but how about Colby Carthel who (along with his dad) coached against him and is currently doing very well as the HC @ A&M Commerce?

He would have inroads to the talent base in East Texas. He has turned around A&M Commerce in short order. Should be interviewed at the very least.

• Upvote 1

He would have inroads to the talent base in East Texas. He has turned around A&M Commerce in short order. Should be interviewed at the very least.

Since he was DC for his daddy out at WT A&M from 2005 and up until 2012, he has to know a lot of coaches out in west Texas as well. Like I said in another thread, between him AND his daddy (Don) they have to know a LOT of coaches in Texas.

But if you like offense, the showdown between Abilene Christian and WT A&M on 11-22-08 should satisfy you. Abilene won 93-68.

NCAA RECORDS

Team Single-Game

Most combined points in regulation: 161, Abilene Christian (93) vs. West Texas A&M (68) (old record: 136, North Park, Ill. (104) vs. North Central Ill. (32), Oct. 12, 1968)

Most combined yards: 1,531, Abilene Christian (810) vs. West Texas A&M (721) (old record: 1,369 by Abilene Christian (653) vs. Chadron State, Neb. (716), Nov. 23, 2007)

Average Yards Per Play: 14.5, Abilene Christian vs. West Texas A&M, 56 plays for 810 yards (old record: 12.1, Hanover vs. Franklin, Oct. 30, 1948 / 75 plays for 910 yards)

Combined Touchdowns: 22, Abilene Christian (13) vs. West Texas A&M (9) (old record: 21, Abilene Christian (10) vs. Chadron State, Neb. (11), Nov. 23, 2007)

Yards Per Rush: 13.8, Abilene Christian vs. West Texas A&M (31 rushes for 427 yards) (old record: 11.2 per rush, Wofford vs. Charleston Southern, Nov. 12, 1990 / 53 for 595)

So I think that between the former Abilene coach and the Carthels (Don and Colby) I think  you could easily find some offensive minded coaches

Edited by SilverEagle

"spread" as an offense is misleading and vague. Circa 1995, it was more an apt description of the four-wide receiver sets in a time when two were standard and three was considered pass-happy. Northwestern, Rich Rodriguez's Clemson, WVU, (a bit of Mich), and present Arizona teams use the 'spread' to run. You are likely more familiar with the EA NCAA 09-14 designations of these, which can be a bit misleading. 

Lots of teams have taken a bunch of "spread" concepts, from blocking schemes from the "spread to run" stuff, to the passing concepts from the "spread to pass" (AirRaid) things. 

I really would just like a coach that believes in his system, can coach it, can recruit to it, and most importantly, can win with it. 

• Upvote 1

There are 128 fb programs with 61 of those G5 programs.  Some are projecting as many as 30 new HC positions opening up this year.  So yes, there could be a lot of competition for the perceived first tier of current hc candidates.  I think everyone realizes that in general there are a very few G5 programs that can compete with any P5 university for a head coach.  

NT has a number of advantages against the field, one is that NT's search has already begun giving NT a huge lead in hiring a coach.  A sure job at NT may be better for many of the top candidates than I want to see what develops after the season.  Although I don't think NT has the facility edge that many do, in football they should be an advantage over most G5's.  Location, access to media, large university,  and a huge recruiting base have to be a big plus when compared to almost all FB schools.

The disadvantage is NT is a traditional loser in football.  Of course, this can be turned around to an advantage as not many are going to expect miracles and it certainly will be an noted accomplishment when it is done.  Also this can be refuted by emphasizing the fact that up till the McCarney hire, NT had a lot of disadvantages in resources and conference affiliation that have been erased.  So like the vast majority of schools hiring, NT is only replacing an unsuccessful coach.   The biggest problem with this rebuttal is that the same AD is in place that can be easily associated with NT's past.  

Looking back at many similar times, I don't ever remember anyone prominently mentioned ever getting the job.   So I don't expect a big splash hire, but I do think NT has the ability now to get a coach with a much higher probability of success than anyone hired since Fry.   

"spread" as an offense is misleading and vague. Circa 1995, it was more an apt description of the four-wide receiver sets in a time when two were standard and three was considered pass-happy. Northwestern, Rich Rodriguez's Clemson, WVU, (a bit of Mich), and present Arizona teams use the 'spread' to run. You are likely more familiar with the EA NCAA 09-14 designations of these, which can be a bit misleading. 

Lots of teams have taken a bunch of "spread" concepts, from blocking schemes from the "spread to run" stuff, to the passing concepts from the "spread to pass" (AirRaid) things. 

I really would just like a coach that believes in his system, can coach it, can recruit to it, and most importantly, can win with it. 

Agree

Rick