UNT opens as underdog to FCS Portland State

Harry

North Texas is paying a hefty price for what was supposed to be an easy homecoming win this weekend.

After a tough first few weeks of the season, UNT coach Dan McCarney and his players acknowledged that their 4 p.m. showdown with Portland State on Saturday doesn’t look nearly like the easy stroll to the win column it appeared it might be a few months ago.

Portland State is off to a 3-1 start and beat Washington State earlier this season, while UNT has lost its first four games. The Mean Green were hammered 49-14 last week by Southern Miss and actually opened as a 1-point underdog in some betting lines against the Vikings, a member of the Football Championship Subdivison.

UNT plays one step further up the college football ladder in the Football Bowl Subdivision.

“I didn’t even know that we were the underdog,” UNT linebacker Calvin Minor said. “It bothers me a little bit. It puts a bit of chip on our shoulder.”

Read more:  http://www.dentonrc.com/sports/sports-headlines/20151006-north-texas-opens-as-underdog-to-fcs-portland-state.ece

Would you? 

We could win or lose by 2 scores.

Seeing as sports book is the one form of gambling that has eluded paying me out one single red American sent in the 22 years I've been of legal age to place wagers, no.  

Standing offer to anybody who wants to be a millionaire.  Take me to Vegas.  Give me a hundred and ten dollars.  Have me go place ten $10 bets.  You bet $1,000 on each of those bets going the other way.  I guarantee we'll live like kings indefinitely.

• Upvote 3

North Dakota ran for 200 plus on them.

Nichols St. was huge on the lines last year. Huge and terrible.

North Dakota is better than we are too. They beat Wyoming. 

Portland State is bigger on the lines and can stop the run.  Meaning we will have to throw the forward pass consistently to win this game.

Its not that they are big on the line its that they play fundamental football. They are very physical.

Also want to point out that they have 8 ints this year too. So passing the ball maybe more difficult

• Upvote 1

"They are a good football team". - It seems everyone we play are a good football team, coach. Why aren't we?

Said the same at the radio show. SMU has yet to beat anyone else this year, after getting worked 49-23 by ECU at home, a week after losing to FCS James Madison at home. And Rice's "best team since I took the job here" is just 2-3 and got smoked 49-10 by WKU in Houston.

• Upvote 4

Said the same at the radio show. SMU has yet to beat anyone else this year, after getting worked 49-23 by ECU at home, a week after losing to FCS James Madison at home. And Rice's "best team since I took the job here" is just 2-3 and got smoked 49-10 by WKU in Houston.

Hey, it's not his fault he has to play 12 national champions.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1