Thursday night CFB Lineup

Harry

Dont look now but that QB that we didn't want to offer that was open about wanting to come to North Texas has completed 65% of his passes for 332 yards 2 td 1 int vs a pretty good P5 team on the road. He'd been inducted into our HoF before this game ended by some. 

Oh and to add to it, apparently utsa has gone full blown uptempo. They have ran 91 plays and there is still 7:30 to go in the 4th. They'll top 100 plays if they get the ball back. Doing all of this against a team some have called a playoff team. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
Error
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dont look now but that QB that we didn't want to offer that was open about wanting to come to North Texas has completed 65% of his passes for 332 yards 2 td 1 int vs a pretty good P5 team on the road. He'd been inducted into our HoF before this game ended by some.  

Also a rushing TD. He's going to put up enormous numbers for UTSA.

• Upvote 2

Also a rushing TD. He's going to put up enormous numbers for UTSA.

Yeah, it's Ok, we have Connor Means. And, of course, a masterful offensive coaching staff in play calling, player research and player development. A big thing around here a few years ago was that, "this staff develops players, that's how we win." Of course this was said while we were winning with all of our "developed" players that weren't recruited by anyone on our staff. 

This kid at nutsack is going to make our staff look really, really bad and good for him. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes here and slings it around on us this year. I'd be giving winks to McCarney if I were him. 

• Upvote 4

So for those who decry that the gap between the halves and have nots is so wide, this game should show you it isn't as wide as you might think.

Good for UTSA, good for C-USA.   For those of you lamenting last night as a negative for UNT, shame on you.  We haven't yet played a game and they have 11 more to play.  I hope they win 10 of them and their only loss is to us.

UTSA has proven, a team located in Texas can build a solid roster and compete with the best. 

The key - which has already been pointed out is talent evaluation.  Frankly, they are better at it than we are right now.  Doesn't mean their ceiling is any higher than ours cause I do not believe it is.  But, it does show how facilities and funding is only one component of the winning equation.

There are 50 players in Texas every year who will go to the top programs, UT, A&M etc.  After that there are about 300 who are about the same in terms of potential.  Being able to find the best of this group and get them in your program is a big key.  Rivals etc cannot measure heart, desire.  Never has and never will.  Bogie has that in spades.  Eric Soza did as well.  And frankly, I don't give a shit how tall a QB is and our coaches shouldn't either.  Give me heart and desire over all else.  These are players who come to D-I with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove versus just coasting and enjoying the scholarship fruits.

We have two coaches who are killing it in player evaluation and recruiting in general, KP and TP.  We need to do everything in our power to a).  keep them here as long as realistically possible and b). bring in more like them.

With due respect @Harry, I have yet to consider all P5 programs into the "Haves".  The college landscape is perennially 5 - 10 teams that could be us by 70.  Seems like it has been that way (for the most part) since the 80s.

When the system is in place that allows players to collect some form of payment, I suspect that is when you will see these 2nd tier P5 teams start to pull away.

The topic of this pay system and how it will affect the landscape is, IMO, deserving of its own thread.

• Upvote 1